Uncontrolled blood glucose levels

JenMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am new to all of this, last week I was found to have a blood glucose level of 35 point something. I had to go to hospital where I was given metformin 2 grams a day. They gave me a testing machine and told me the hospital diabetic consultant will be in touch. My blood sugars are ranging between 13 and 28 plus. As the days go on, it's getting higher and higher, now only a very rare low teens test. Exactly how bad is this? It makes no difference what time of day or if I've eaten or not. I'm recording everything. I really don't know what to do.
Any help will be great.
Jen

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @JenMH

I'm tagging @daisy1 who will be along with some useful information for newbies.

Are you only taking Metformin or are you on any other medication? If it's just the Metformin you might want to think about eating a low carb diet. Aside from sugar, this means being careful about breakfast cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. Cutting these out, or significantly reducing them will have a very positive impact on your blood sugar levels.

Great that you have a meter. If you test right before you eat and then 2 hours after the first bite, you'll get an idea of which foods affect you most - you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2mmols after 2 hours.

Do ask as many questions as you like- we're a friendly bunch on here and you'll get lots of support and advice.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jen. When I was diagnosed my blood glucose level was 13. I checked the labels on all the foods I was eating and cut out all the ones with lots of sugar. When I saw the diabetes nurse a few weeks later my blood sugar levels were 9.8. After this I was given a meter and started to test regularly. I began to cut out carbohydrates as they raise blood sugars very quickly. I stopped eating breakfast cereals, potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. I also stopped drinking fruit juice. Some fruit is high in sugar, such as grapes bananas, so give them a miss. Strawberries and blueberries are not so bad.

You can eat more fat in your food such as cheese, cream, full fat yoghurt, avocados and nuts. Adopting a Low a Carb High Fat diet has allowed my fasting blood sugars to drop to under 7 and lose a lot of weight.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I am new to all of this, last week I was found to have a blood glucose level of 35 point something. I had to go to hospital where I was given metformin 2 grams a day. They gave me a testing machine and told me the hospital diabetic consultant will be in touch. My blood sugars are ranging between 13 and 28 plus. As the days go on, it's getting higher and higher, now only a very rare low teens test. Exactly how bad is this? It makes no difference what time of day or if I've eaten or not. I'm recording everything. I really don't know what to do.
Any help will be great.
Jen
Welcome to the forums @JenMH ,

Most T2's benefit greatly from a modified diet. I assume you probably haven't been advised about this yet. All carbohydrates turn into glucose in fhe body so if you have a diet that is high in potato, rice, bread or pasta then think about trying to reduce your portion sizes.

Keep track of the carbs, the recommended intake for a non diabetic is 250g per day. So find out where you against this figure and then see if you feel comfortable lowering it.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Edited:- this page explains idealised blood glucose ranges.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any help will be great.
Jen

welcome here JenMH :)

well I was around that level when I was diagnosed... but it is possible to get these numbers down if you go lower in carbs right away.. if you do nothing about it is seriously high that level.. but the good thing is that you can get it down..
try to count your number of grams of carbs in your food daily and avoid carbs in the morning meals right from the start untill you get a good control...
there hardly isn´t any carbs in avocado, many kind of cheese, all kinds of meat and fats and eggs... and if one do miss bread alot the LIDL protein rolls are also very low in carbs so a good choice instead of all the normal kinds of breads which are to be avoided..

stop all kinds of sugar, potatoes, rice and corn and grains.. and don´t eat any fruits untill you have gained control and gotten your level down un der 6.5 ( preferably even lower)
if you can use APPs there are more you can choose from, I use one called lifesum... where into I can add all what I eat and keep track of both calories and grams of carbs... a great help in my daily counting.. and one of te main reasons why I now have a very fine control..(my daugther showed me how to use it )

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any help will be great.
Jen

Hello Jen. Those levels are certainly higher than are good for you, over any period of time.

Was your blood test, showing the 35, a routine test or had you been feeling unwell? Aside from having very high blood glucose, are you otherwise well?

I don't know what you are eating and/or drinking, but many of us found when we were diagnosed that we needed to change our diets a bit, in order to help our bodies cope.

JenMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum @JenMH

I'm tagging @daisy1 who will be along with some useful information for newbies.

Are you only taking Metformin or are you on any other medication? If it's just the Metformin you might want to think about eating a low carb diet. Aside from sugar, this means being careful about breakfast cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. Cutting these out, or significantly reducing them will have a very positive impact on your blood sugar levels.

Great that you have a meter. If you test right before you eat and then 2 hours after the first bite, you'll get an idea of which foods affect you most - you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2mmols after 2 hours.

Do ask as many questions as you like- we're a friendly bunch on here and you'll get lots of support and advice.
Thankyou x

JenMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Jen. When I was diagnosed my blood glucose level was 13. I checked the labels on all the foods I was eating and cut out all the ones with lots of sugar. When I saw the diabetes nurse a few weeks later my blood sugar levels were 9.8. After this I was given a meter and started to test regularly. I began to cut out carbohydrates as they raise blood sugars very quickly. I stopped eating breakfast cereals, potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. I also stopped drinking fruit juice. Some fruit is high in sugar, such as grapes bananas, so give them a miss. Strawberries and blueberries are not so bad.

You can eat more fat in your food such as cheese, cream, full fat yoghurt, avocados and nuts. Adopting a Low a Carb High Fat diet has allowed my fasting blood sugars to drop to under 7 and lose a lot of weight.
Thankyou x

JenMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Jen. Those levels are certainly higher than are good for you, over any period of time.

Was your blood test, showing the 35, a routine test or had you been feeling unwell? Aside from having very high blood glucose, are you otherwise well?

I don't know what you are eating and/or drinking, but many of us found when we were diagnosed that we needed to change our diets a bit, in order to help our bodies cope.
I eat a reduced veggie diet, but have a thyroid problem. I eat no sugar, gave it up when my thyroid problem made me put on a large amount of weight in 12 weeks. Plus I have severe bipolar disorder and am on numerous psychiatric drugs for that. I also have arthritis in both knees and walk with two crutches. Sounds like I'm ancient! I'm 48 ! I was a teacher but my bipolar got the better of me about 13 years ago. I was found to have such raised blood levels when I went for routine health check , one that is offered to all MH patients in my area. I had been sleeping a lot and had a horribly dry mouth and terrible thirst etc but thought it was the side effects of medication. The doctors in the hospital talked about injections but did not say what they meant, did they mean insulin? I'm really confused.

JenMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2

well I was around that level when I was diagnosed... but it is possible to get these numbers down if you go lower in carbs right away.. if you do nothing about it is seriously high that level.. but the good thing is that you can get it down..
try to count your number of grams of carbs in your food daily and avoid carbs in the morning meals right from the start untill you get a good control...
there hardly isn´t any carbs in avocado, many kind of cheese, all kinds of meat and fats and eggs... and if one do miss bread alot the LIDL protein rolls are also very low in carbs so a good choice instead of all the noiormal kinds of breads which is to be avoided..

stop all kinds of sugar, potatoes, rice and corn .. and don´t eat any fruits untill you have gained control and gotten your level down un der 6.5 ( preferably even lower)
if you can use APPs there are more you can choose from, I use one called lifesum... where into I can add all what I eat and keep track of both calories and grams of carbs... a great help in my daily counting.. and one of te main reasons why I now have a very fine control..(my daugther showed me how to use it )
Thankyou for your help x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for your help x

you learn it soon, and you can always keep asking question of the matters you are in doubt of..
don´t go higher than 100 grams of carbs a day...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the very fine thing about low carb eating is that it makes it much easier to loose weight, especially if going as low as under 50 grams of carbs a day

macadamia nuts are really good when wanting to go really low as they hardly contains any carbs...
but it is also essential for the body to get enough protein which is for most sedentary women a little under 0.8 grams of carbs pro kg body weight and some around 0.6 grams pro kg body weight...which to most is around 60-80 grams a day... 1 egg is about 7 grams of protein

if you are totally vegan then have your level of vitamin B12 checked... unfortunately one can also have problems uptaking vitamin B12 when on metformin...

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
by the way these antipsychotic drugs also can raise ones blood glucose some which also adds to diabetes... :( I myself was on serequel for a few years ... and maybe they are the reason why I got my diabetes in the first hand... it is difficult sometimes to choose between two "evils"... but ...hope you´ll find a diet where you can get your numbers down ... with few enough carbs... just telling you it can be a bit more difficult on the drugs you are on I guess...

JenMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2

there hardly isn´t any carbs in avocado, many kind of cheese, all kinds of meat and fats and eggs... and if one do miss bread alot the LIDL protein rolls are also very low in carbs so a good choice instead of all the noiormal kinds of breads which is to be avoided..

stop all kinds of sugar, potatoes, rice and corn .. and don´t eat any fruits untill you have gained control and gotten your level down un der 6.5 ( preferably even lower)
Thankyou for the advice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think its important that you are getting followed up!!

Type 2's dont really get seen at hospitals by consultants unless there are problems. So, I would be phoning your GP. The GP should have had details sent electronically through and as GPs are the Primary Care, then they should be checking you over in the interim period if indeed you will be seen at hospital.

Please get an appointment at your GP to discuss.

If you have been given a formal diagnosis has anybody explained to you that you need to Apply for an exemption card to get free meds if you still work? Has anybody explained about the need to look after feet, and annual check ups? I guess not but your GP as the Primary Care person should be in charge of this.. please contact your GP and speak to them...

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@JenMH

Hello Jen and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a reduced veggie diet, but have a thyroid problem. I eat no sugar, gave it up when my thyroid problem made me put on a large amount of weight in 12 weeks. Plus I have severe bipolar disorder and am on numerous psychiatric drugs for that. I also have arthritis in both knees and walk with two crutches. Sounds like I'm ancient! I'm 48 ! I was a teacher but my bipolar got the better of me about 13 years ago. I was found to have such raised blood levels when I went for routine health check , one that is offered to all MH patients in my area. I had been sleeping a lot and had a horribly dry mouth and terrible thirst etc but thought it was the side effects of medication. The doctors in the hospital talked about injections but did not say what they meant, did they mean insulin? I'm really confused.

You've certainly got a lot going on there, and it's good you are going to be looked after by specialist care. Many GPs have a limited knowledge of T2, and similarly with thyroid issues, so having both together plus your bipolar and arthritis probably means it's quite complicated.

Is your arthritis rheumatoid arthritis? So many of these auto-immune conditions can come together. There are a number of people on here who have each of those conditions, with similar or different combinations, so although unusual, you're not alone.

In terms of moving forward, and hopefully avoiding injections, most of us find adjusting our diet to be important. There are loads of veggie members here, and some great threads and recipes around. This thread is where some of the veggies talk about what they eat on a day to day basis. Some of those choices look delicious to me, and I'm an omnivore.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ve-you-eaten-today.88074/page-69#post-1422581

Just take it steady.

Reactions: Alison Campbell