Underactive thyroid

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tests have shown that I am not converting T4 to T3 so I have been taking 1 tablet a day of T3. My Levothyroxine was reduced in June and not due a blood test until end of July when I have my annual review.

Unfortunately it appears that my BG has increased by 1mmol/L which means that my daytime readings are 6mmol/L or thereabouts (fasting 6.6). Is there anybody taking T3 who can shed some light onto my problem.

TappedOut

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tests have shown that I am not converting T4 to T3 so I have been taking 1 tablet a day of T3. My Levothyroxine was reduced in June and not due a blood test until end of July when I have my annual review.

Unfortunately it appears that my BG has increased by 1mmol/L which means that my daytime readings are 6mmol/L or thereabouts (fasting 6.6). Is there anybody taking T3 who can shed some light onto my problem.

Hi carol43,
Ive read that t3 drugs can spike (and sometimes lower) blood glucose levels; but so can Thyroid imbalance - your labs will better suggest whether you are dealing with a thyroid or diabetes issue. Your next labs will give you insight into your next move: whether to increase thyroid meds, use a suspended release t3, change it, or up diabetes meds. Until your next labs, I would keep close monitor of the blood sugars. Test more often to have a better view of your blood sugar trends (unless you are wearing a CGM). Are you on insulin?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@TappedOut Thank you for your reply.

I am not on any meds for diabetes. Lab test show that I am not converting T4 to T3, last blood tests show TSH 0.24, T4 17.7 and T3 4.1. Have been taking T3 in increments (sourced from abroad) and am now on 1 tablet per day. Will see what my next blood tests show at the end of this month.

TappedOut

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Carol. Do you have a glucometer, way to test your blood sugar? Or if that's not possible urine strips? I would be tracking the glucose levels that way until you can get your labs done (I think in U.K., you say "bloods"). Meanwhile, don't eat anything sugared, white, or floured: rice, bread, cereal, potatoes, candies, strips, jams...
Eat fat based/protein based. Breakfast eggs, tuna, almonds.... I know it will be different perhaps, and some meals not matching the time of day (for example breakfast foods for dinner, or vice versa). The goal is to keep your glucose suppressed at least until your labs are available. Also, if you can drink more water. The water, where thee is Amy pancreatic function assists in excreting glucose from the system (unless you are Type I, which is doubtful, but either way, more water intake will not hurt).

The end of the month is not too far away. Whatever the outcome, you will already be in the proper direction of motion.

I'm not versed on Thyroid, but diabetes, diabetes I know. Hope this helps and that sooner rather than later, you will get relief and feel better.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@TappedOut If you read my signature you will see that my last HbA1C was 41 which is below the diabetic level and I have lost 5 stones in weight.

TappedOut

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@TappedOut If you read my signature you will see that my last HbA1C was 41 which is below the diabetic level and I have lost 5 stones in weight.
I'm so sorry, I didn't see that. I still can't. Idk if it's my software or bc I'm using my phone....5 stone! I'm American, and we use pounds, but I think, if I'm not mistaken, that 1 stone is about 14 pounds?! That's great Carol43!!! Keep at it, and once you have your results you will be able to navigate everything far better. But I'd say keep up your excellent efforts because you are getting results. We will just see what happens concerning the glucose spike/t3 once the results are out. My thoughts are with you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TappedOut
Don't worry - if you are using your phone, then you probably can't see the signatures below each post, and you won't see much of the information under the avatar pics, either. It is just the way the apps work. :)

For your info, this is what @carol43 has in her sig:
7/3/15 - HbA1c 97 mmol/L Weight 13st 1lb.
19/8/15 55 11st.10lbs.
28/10/15 49 11st.4lbs.
22/6/16 44 10st.1lb
21/12/16 41 8st.10lbs.

I believe the US also uses different HbA1c measurements.
And a UK result of 41 equates to 5.9 % (US measurement)

Hopefully the chart below will show on your phone. :)

hba1c-chart.jpg

TappedOut

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@TappedOut
Don't worry - if you are using your phone, then you probably can't see the signatures below each post, and you won't see much of the information under the avatar pics, either. It is just the way the apps work. :)

For your info, this is what @carol43 has in her sig:
7/3/15 - HbA1c 97 mmol/L Weight 13st 1lb.
19/8/15 55 11st.10lbs.
28/10/15 49 11st.4lbs.
22/6/16 44 10st.1lb
21/12/16 41 8st.10lbs.

I believe the US also uses different HbA1c measurements.
And a UK result of 41 equates to 5.9 % (US measurement)

Hopefully the chart below will show on your phone. :)

hba1c-chart.jpg
Hi Brunneria, thank you! Yes, I can see the graphics you added. And the copy of carole43's signature/stats. Excellent! Thank you! Yes, in the states our A1c is mmol/L but our daily blood sugar levels are tested in deciliters. So carole43 has really made great progress....this site is excellent! I really appreciate your work. It means a lot to so many people. I'm new here, but I'm already so inspired and impressed. Really great.

Reactions: Brunneria