Understanding hba1c and pregnancy/conceiving

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I am aware that your hba1c must be at a certain level to allow your diabetic team to give you the go ahead to try and conceive.
What I am trying to understand is that as the hba1c is only a 3 monthly average would it effect a baby, i.e. If bloods were not at the recommended figure but your readings were ideal from when you started trying to conceive, would this be ok, or does the blood that carries some historic higher readings have an impact?
Just trying to understand how things work in a bit more detail to make informed decisions!
Many thanks :)

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm no medical professional like most but in my opinion if the control has been good for a good 1-2 months and I havnt yet had s new hba1 test ... and it was near to the ideal range ... then trying to conceive is fine ... I am definitely not saying it's 100% true but just my two sense about it I think it is about the now ( and past few weeks ) because new cells regenerate every 2- months ... according to science ... although iv also been told monthly so I don't know ... I don't actually know my hba1c when I was trying .... I had been trying for 9 months since my second miscarriage... I had been told it was most likely and only now realise it was from my awful control ... I spend 9 months cracking down and making it faultless ... I didn't want a blood test I figured with this control how could they not be amazing now ?!.... I'd had some blips yeah but over all I was good...anyways I got pregnant in September and took high dose folic ... continued the right control ... and am now 33+3 weeks pregnant and feel so blessed :)
It totally depends on what your control is now and has been for the past month or so I'd say ...
X

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Tilly_S, what I was thinking too...probably overthinking, just with everything that they warn you about it can be hard not to!
I'm so pleased that things have worked out for you now and your little bundle will be with you in the not too distant future!
Wishing you every happiness xx