SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Hi Pam

14 pounds = 1 stone but they're figures used in the UK and once used in Australia.. US conversions suggest it.s 1.12 in your language. We use kilos downunder ... but enough of that.

To this issue

Here were her specific suggestions: 1) Increase portion sizes. For example, I'd been eating only half an orange, half an apple, 3 oz. of meat, etc. per meal. She said, eat a whole orange, whole apple, and more meat, etc. 2) Add Chia to my morning oatmeal and maybe to my Greek yogurt. 3) Add flaxseed to salads, vegetables, etc. 3) Increase my intake of whole-grain pasta! Here's a shocker: If you chill the pasta after you cook it, and then re-heat it, the structure of the pasta changes, and it will not spike your BG. (I tried it this evening, and it worked!) 4) Increase your intake of fiber in general, because it has a stabilizing effect on blood sugar, which enables you to eat more carbs, hence more calories!

Here are my comments

1. No. Oranges are straight sugar (juice MUCH worse) Portion sizes are another debate
2. Yep but oatmeal can cause issues.
3. Pasta? Yep, possible and it's a known factor (re-heat) but many MANY people cannot tolerate it regardless. Depends on amount and when you test with your meter..
4. No comment other than to say carbs eventually break down into sugars and many here subscribe to a (LCHF) low carb hi fat diet.

Best Mike

I tried about five blueberries in my full fat yoghurt every morning for a while but dropped them because my BG didn't like it at all. Oranges? I would have to give that a miss I reckon. Can't take more than a couple of tablespoons oatmeal at a time without big spikes. Is there something I could put in oatmeal so I could slow down that spike? In fact, does adding more fat to everything just slow down spikes?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What exactly do you categorise as a "spike"?

Wheat and other gluten containing grains can cause spikes even in non diabetics, so if you're trying to increase good carbs, I'd be going for things like sweet potato or potatoes rather than bread.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
What exactly do you categorise as a "spike"?

Wheat and other gluten containing grains can cause spikes even in non diabetics, so if you're trying to increase good carbs, I'd be going for things like sweet potato or potatoes rather than bread.

Hi, if my bloods are still in the high 7's after two hours I take it that my one hour spike is likely to have been much higher. My dietician did tell me that non-prediabetics/diabetics, can spike with certain foods but it does them no harm in the long run - ie. up to 8 or more. I don't know if I can believe that. In the long run surely the A1c test tells the true story.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Go wild in the nut department! As well as being really good for you, they are very high in energy. Macadamia nuts are a gift from the gods. (and boy do they pack a bit of a caloric punch.) Also bowls of blueberries (did you say back there that you had five blueberries with your yoghurt? Why only five? Are you sure blueberries spike you? They have a pretty low GI. I'd go for a whole punnet...) (And eat them with lashes of whipped cream.) Then follow it up with your choices of cheeses, olives, mounds of guacamole for your veggies, and a delicious almond butter - or any nut butter of your choice, to slather on that raw veg. And you haven't lived until you eat brie and almond butter together. And yes - bake with nut flour, liberally sprinkle nut flours on your savoury dishes that would have otherwise require breadcrumbs. Your body and bloods will love you for it. You might just feel great after all those lovely healthy fats and nutrients. Worth a try?