Unexpected bloods

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok here's the thing.
I've lost 3 stone stopped my Metformin 4 weeks ago and saw my bloods drop so that my fasting bloods always started with a 5.

This week all my fasting readings have started with a 6 and some high 6's.

My diet and exercise has remained the same. I have been a bit stressed with work...

So why ??? Thoughts please

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain - my FB have been doing similar. Am going to go back to my food diary and try and replicate the entire day when I last had a 'good' fasting level, to see if it's something I'm doing or the famous dawn phenomenon. However, replicating levels of stress will be complicated ! Tips on how to avoid the dawn thingy would be good, all the ones on the link talk about changing medication etc - and I'm not on any ! (and I don't eat carby snack after 8pm.)

D

Deleted Account

There are many things that affect BG (and FBG).
Food is the obvious one but also exercise, stress, illness, drugs, weather, even your body fighting off bugs that you never seen any other symptoms for.
You say you are stressed at work - this could explain the rise you are seeing.

Reactions: grante
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I not be taking my BSL in the morning then?? and if so when should I start (relative newbie to all this). I 'fast' until lunchtime, should I wait and test just before lunch?
There was a line in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where Ford Prefect said, "Yes if it makes you feel better", which is my personal opinion of FBG.

It was a more successful ploy for me to take a reading before a meal and a set time (nominally 2hrs) afterwards to see how much of a rise there was so it could help identify which foods caused it. I then made adjustments to future meals.

The Dawn Phenomenon is a bit of an uncontrollable beast and if you have to fast until your surgery takes the test it all seems like a bit of a nonsense. Other opinions are available and will no doubt be expressed.

Reactions: grante

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also not a fan of morning FBG. They are too reliant on factors we can't control. I prefer to judge how I am doing by my pre-evening meal levels and the amount of the rises I see post meal.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also not a fan of morning FBG. They are too reliant on factors we can't control. I prefer to judge how I am doing by my pre-evening meal levels and the amount of the rises I see post meal.
Thanks - I'm still testing 8 times a day as I'm still working out what does what to me, however, I might try giving the fasting one a miss for a while......

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - I'm still testing 8 times a day as I'm still working out what does what to me, however, I might try giving the fasting one a miss for a while......
Yes we all did that I'm sure while we were learning. Taking it slower is cheaper but if you are testing 8 times a day then keep good records of what you ate.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if you pay for your own strips etc. but at 8 tests a day you might look at a Libre to see if it is economic. Even if it isn't you can test dozens of times a day once you have the kit.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
as others have said the FBG is often the trickiest one to deal with because of your liver dumping glucose in order to get you ready for the day ahead. Better to check before eating and 2 hours afterwards to see which foods affect you the most. Exercise can help lower BG but if you check too soon after vigorous exercise it may have raised your BG.

It's all trial and error and if you are stressed that will also elevate your BG.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if you pay for your own strips etc. but at 8 tests a day you might look at a Libre to see if it is economic. Even if it isn't you can test dozens of times a day once you have the kit.
Yes, am paying for them at the moment - have ordered a libre to see how I get on with it, but I have funny skin and it might irritate. Hoping not to test 8 times a day forever !! maybe just for another three months.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, am paying for them at the moment - have ordered a libre to see how I get on with it, but I have funny skin and it might irritate. Hoping not to test 8 times a day forever !! maybe just for another three months.
I hope you get on with it and it doesn't irritate. Once you get the Libre anyone who only tests 8 times a day is regarded as a cissy. You will feel like you have been let out of prison.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@charliebarker there's a whole thread "Life with Libre" which is my trials and tribulations as a new Libre user. I use the Android phone App rather than the reader.
I've been using it some months now and would not be without it. Just remember it measures differently to the finger jab but it is great for seeing what foods do to you. I still finger jab but nowhere near as much as I did previously. Some days I don't bother once I know how the Libre is measuring or unless I get a weird reading. Despite its quirks it has made a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: charliebarker
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It could be stopping the Metformin as changes in Metformin does often take a long time to have an effect.

“Resistance training” and “high intensity internal training” is well known to improve insulin sensitivity and hence may help make your body take up the glucose the liver dumps quicker. (I think this is what happens in "normal" people with the glucose being taken up into the rest of the body of use in the day.)

Filling your liver with fat by drinking lots of alcohol is not a good ideal..... But one small glass of Red wine has been shown to be of benefit.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My libre was delivered this morning - jabbed into my arm this evening and I got four error messages followed by 'sensor Not working, replace sensor.' Great start!! Doesn't fill me with confidence!!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My libre was delivered this morning - jabbed into my arm this evening and I got four error messages followed by 'sensor Not working, replace sensor.' Great start!! Doesn't fill me with confidence!!
I know it's not obvious but you are supposed to apply it and wait 24 hours before starting it.. Customer services won't talk to you unless you have had it on for 24 hours.

Your best bet now is to take no notice of what is says for a day and then complain if it doesn't sort itself out.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's not obvious but you are supposed to apply it and wait 24 hours before starting it.. Customer services won't talk to you unless you have had it on for 24 hours.

Your best bet now is to take no notice of what is says for a day and then complain if it doesn't sort itself out.
Why doesn't it say that anywhere? It says wait an hour and then the app told me it was ready to scan. Stupid thing