Unexpected HBA1c result

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got the results of my latest hba1c blood test today. I have to say I was shocked by the result.

My previous test gave a figure of 55.

The result today was 50.

The reason I'm shocked is since my previous test i have been fighting a losing battle with my binge eating disorder .

In other words, I have been wolfing down carrier bags full of junk food for the last 3 months and my test score actually improved.

I challenged the diabetes nurse about this result but she said she was happy with the result and I didn't need another test for 6 months.

So given the knowledge of what I've eaten over the last 3 months, should I trust my latest result.

If I can eat what I have eaten over the last 3 months and end up with an hba1c score of 50 I'm beginning to wonder if I really have type 2.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Reactions: Kevin259

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's likely the culprit then.......

With the medication you are dealing better with the glucose in your system.....and of course you should be absorbing less too if the metformin is doing its job....

You will see better improvements if you cut out the carbs obviously and more likely to stave off deterioration and possible insulin dependency in the future...

It is likely you are diabetic but with diet and exercise and medication too the symptoms of it can be eliminated...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may be right not to trust your HbA1c. Or you may be wrong. It isn't reliable for everyone, just for the average person. It depends on how long your red blood cells live. The average lifespan is used for the HbA1c calculations. Some people have shorter living cells, whilst others have longer living cells. People with anaemia or other red blood cell abnormalities can see higher or lower than expected HbA1c results. It also is an average, so does not catch the high peaks especially if you spend more time in the lower ranges than in the higher ranges. An HbA1c of 50 is an average of 8.1mmol/l

Are you still testing your own blood sugars? If not, I suggest you do so. This will tell you if your binge eating is affecting your levels much better than any HbA1c.

Of course, it is possible the HbA1c is correct, and I do hope this is the case.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Answering one of your original questions, yes you almost certainly have T2.

Your HbA1c is not good, just not as bad as you expected.

Before your lapse had you made good progress with things like increasing exercise and reducing weight?

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's likely the culprit then.......

With the medication you are dealing better with the glucose in your system.....and of course you should be absorbing less too if the metformin is doing its job....

You will see better improvements if you cut out the carbs obviously and more likely to stave off deterioration and possible insulin dependency in the future...

It is likely you are diabetic but with diet and exercise and medication too the symptoms of it can be eliminated...
Cutting carbs would also be my first choice, but my binge eating disorder is getting in the way at the moment.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You may be right not to trust your HbA1c. Or you may be wrong. It isn't reliable for everyone, just for the average person. It depends on how long your red blood cells live. The average lifespan is used for the HbA1c calculations. Some people have shorter living cells, whilst others have longer living cells. People with anaemia or other red blood cell abnormalities can see higher or lower than expected HbA1c results. It also is an average, so does not catch the high peaks especially if you spend more time in the lower ranges than in the higher ranges. An HbA1c of 50 is an average of 8.1mmol/l

Are you still testing your own blood sugars? If not, I suggest you do so. This will tell you if your binge eating is affecting your levels much better than any HbA1c.

Of course, it is possible the HbA1c is correct, and I do hope this is the case.
I'm being investigated for anaemia at the moment.

I am testing from time to time, but when I'm binging I tend not to want to know.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Answering one of your original questions, yes you almost certainly have T2.

Your HbA1c is not good, just not as bad as you expected.

Before your lapse had you made good progress with things like increasing exercise and reducing weight?
After diagnosis last December I had an hba1c level 110.

3 months later the level was down to 55 and I had lost more than 2 stones.

It was around that time my binge eating disorder resurfaced and I have been unable to stop binging ever since.

If I can't get control of my eating there's nothing I can do about the diabetes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It was around that time my binge eating disorder resurfaced and I have been unable to stop binging ever since.

If I can't get control of my eating there's nothing I can do about the diabetes.

Are you getting any help with your eating disorder?

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you getting any help with your eating disorder?
I was referred to a psychiatrist who only offered me a prescription for drugs which I did not take as the list of side effects scared the **** out of me.

She did refer me to a psychologist but there seems to be a very long waiting list. I'm still waiting after 6 months.

I get the impression they don't have a great deal of interest in a 66 year old man with an eating disorder.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lets hope the Hba1c is right because considering you were diagnosed at 110 then to get it down to 50 is really good many people would be pleased to have that level and well done on the weight loss. As to your eating disorder you need more help than we can give you here. Perhaps seeing you doctor and asking if they can get you some professional help more quickly might be a good idea

Reactions: Inchindown

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lets hope the Hba1c is right because considering you were diagnosed at 110 then to get it down to 50 is really good many people would be pleased to have that level and well done on the weight loss. As to your eating disorder you need more help than we can give you here. Perhaps seeing you doctor and asking if they can get you some professional help more quickly might be a good idea

Edit Delete Report

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is this disorder just what it says on the tin.......is there underlying issues contributing to it...
It's not easy to explain.

I get an irresistible urge to eat certain foods. I've never been a drug addict or alcoholic so the only addictive behaviour I can compare it with is smoking.

Anyone who has ever tried to stop smoking will understand the intense feelings you get in the days after you first stop. You often fail because the urge to have a fag is so strong it hurts.

While you can eventually stop smoking, you can't stop eating.

Whether there are underlying issues, I'm not sure. I'm waiting on an appointment with a psychologist, but I understand there is a long waiting list.

I tried to go privately to a cognitive behavioural therapist but that too involved a waiting time of years.

My personal view is this goes back to my childhood. I come from a poor family in the east end of Glasgow and it was not always certain there would be food on the table when I got home from school.

This seemed to lead me to overeat when food was available. Although I did not have a weight problem until after a road accident, at age 23, which lead to an 18 month stay in hospital and the loss of my Royal Navy career.

I'm not sure there is a short term solution other than continuing the fight. It may help a bit just talking about it here.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
An HbA1c of 50 - definitely diabetic; your levels are dropping because of the metformin. If you don't address the eating disorder, perhaps through counselling, your levels will get worse again. I hope you get the help you need and get in control. By the say, lots of us Glaswegians had...less than adequate diets/sufficient food as kids; the problem is that many of us still have inadequate diets today and haven't realised that deep fried mars bars are just a little less than ideal! Good luck.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was referred to a psychiatrist who only offered me a prescription for drugs which I did not take as the list of side effects scared the **** out of me.

She did refer me to a psychologist but there seems to be a very long waiting list. I'm still waiting after 6 months.

I get the impression they don't have a great deal of interest in a 66 year old man with an eating disorder.

That is a horrible combination of probelms!

That is certainly not a great situation to be in. I would suggest returning to the doctor and pointing out that the situation does have a time element in it, as any time unable to be in control of your levels may be producing long term injury, and that speeding the process up would be of benefit to all. After all, the enabling of you to be fit and healthy does reduce strain on the system for them too!