Unexpected hypo/ zombie mum

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good day at a friends wedding today. Ellie's bloods ran high after tea but nothing to worry about too much.

Managed to convince her to go to bed an hour ago as she has a dance comp tomorrow, bloods were 7.3. I just checked on her as I was going to bed, 3.7 hypo

Having to wake her up to treat hypo and eat she says to me, never mind mum better to have the hypo now than in the morning. She's now fast asleep again without a care in the world

Not sure I'll be sleeping much tonight tho, In the 8 months since diagnosis she only ever had 1 hypo after she's gone to bed. Ellie is currently coming out of the honeymoon period so I'm more used to correcting high bloods in the night not treating lows

With an hours drive to the comps tomorrow and Ellie's first dance at 8:30am I think I will be taking on the role of zombie mum tomorrow

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
bless hun .................not sure if this helps -- but my mum had that sort of situation with me sometimes at night -- I always woke up the next morning without a care in the world

but thinking back maybe that's why my mum's eyes were a fluorescent green !!

Reactions: Struma

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Haha possibly so!

Ellie also goes on a school residential trip for 3 day on Wednesday so I'll not sleep from worrying then!

I'm already looking forward to my bed next weekend

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
only 6 nights till a sleep -- you'll be fine :D

I did residential trips as a T1D -- no worries -- she will be fine
remember your daughter has you as a model -- she will have had good training and will look after herself !!

Reactions: Struma

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She keeps telling me I'm worrying about nothing .

The only worry she has is about her teacher doing her lantus injection as she has it in her bum and can't do it herself.

If that's all she's worried about then she's doing better than me

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
Night time hypos are quite frequent in our house sadly but Amie doesn't mind as she gets to come cuddle up with mummy

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had almost similar last night. Bed was 7.1 but a couple of hours later was 3.7, then 3.6. So waited about 30 mins as it has gone up by itself before....but it was down to 3.2. So had to wake her! After about 10 mins of persuasion managed to get her to chomp through a Belvita with Jam which then held it nice at between 5 and 6 all night through to 7AM.

But yes, she woke up without a care in the world and didn't even mention the snack. They are so much more resilient than us.

Best of luck for the Dance comps and the residential trip. Keep up with the great support....it's hard but we get through it.

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Quick update

Didn't sleep a wink that night but dance comps went well. 1x1st place, 1x2nd place and 2x3rd place!!

School residential also went really well, teachers were amazing and kept amazing control of numbers

Ellie was also part of the local remembrance parade with 1 of her brothers on Sunday at scouts

Nice chilled out weekend at the min as we have to do dance comps all over again next weekend and then the dreaded consultant appointment at the hospital the following week!

Before you know it it will be Xmas and I'll be fretting over something different

Reactions: Energize

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on those dance comp results! And that your daughter is obviously living a very busy life :)

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Amazing results...well done :):)
It must be a really nice feeling that the residential trip went well with no incident.

MaisyMoo10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good day at a friends wedding today. Ellie's bloods ran high after tea but nothing to worry about too much.

Managed to convince her to go to bed an hour ago as she has a dance comp tomorrow, bloods were 7.3. I just checked on her as I was going to bed, 3.7 hypo

Having to wake her up to treat hypo and eat she says to me, never mind mum better to have the hypo now than in the morning. She's now fast asleep again without a care in the world

Not sure I'll be sleeping much tonight tho, In the 8 months since diagnosis she only ever had 1 hypo after she's gone to bed. Ellie is currently coming out of the honeymoon period so I'm more used to correcting high bloods in the night not treating lows

With an hours drive to the comps tomorrow and Ellie's first dance at 8:30am I think I will be taking on the role of zombie mum tomorrow
I feel your tired6 because up until 3 weeks ago we were doing the same with our 6year olds getting up around 2am to correct high bloods sugars then checking they hadn't dropped to low again at 4am then up at 6.30 and after months of doing this we wete so tired we discussed with our Diabetic nurse our daughters long acting insulin was changed rom levimer to Tresiba and once we were on correct dose we now get a full nights sleep.