Unplanned pregnancy and scared

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. I am a type 1 and have just found out I am 13 weeks pregnant which has come as a real shock! My last hba1c in January was 93/10.7 and I am terrified about the damage that may be done to the baby.

Last week I was admitted to hospital with dehydration due to severe morning sickness which I thought was a stomach bug, I was scanned and everything looked good, but I am so worried about the affect of my hba1c on the pregnancy.

My sugar levels have been really closeley watched since finding out and I am in ante-natal today but wanted to know if anybody else has conceived on such a high hba1c and had good outcome?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations.....

Your last HbA1c in January was in the past and cant be changed now...

Its all about getting tighter control day to day now and hopefully your team will be able to help you through it all....;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Congratulations @Sugarfreeprincess :)

I had gestational diabetes which wasn't picked up until 23 weeks, no idea what my BG levels were doing but went straight onto insulin and had regular check ups including induced birth at 37 weeks, due to my daughter's size. As long as you are monitoring it now then don't stress about your last HbA1c, it really isn't worth it and you need to focus on your pregnancy. Just take good care, trust your instincts and keep in touch with your mid wife and DSN for regular catch ups, now you are on the radar you will be looked after ;)

Reactions: Sugarfreeprincess
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies, I'm trying not to fret and have been doing the worst thing possible, googling!! Hopefully everything will be fine.

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't panic and don't google.
My hba1c wasn't great before I found out I was pregnant. I made my control really tight and checked a lot too and got my new hba1c results back and I was down to 5.7 from 8.0 in October. You can do it.
Good luck
Xx

HammyBammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sugarfree princess,

My HBAC1 was slightly higher when I fell pregnant, like you I was very scared. I am now 16 weeks pregnant and no issues, my HBAC1 is now 42 (I was 59 when I found out about the pregnancy). You can do it! My advise is test test test!
I test myself up to 15 times a day sometimes just to make sure I have that tight control. You will have loads of check ups and appointments so try and not stress as that can affect things too!
Good luck and congrats!! xx

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congrats
I fell pregnant planned in September (I'd be trying for a year or just less after a mc ) so it felt unexpected and month after month I was disappointed when my period arrived ... my sugar control had been tight ad a button for a year since the mc but had slipped a bit round time of conception ... if thrown the idea of getting pregnant away ... anyways I had a scan at 6,10,13,16,20,24 weeks and so far baby seems healthy
I was most scared about early pregnancy and any bad control as this is what caused my two previous mc and I was annoyed for the two weeks before conception I'd been more laxed... but every scan so far touch wood baby has been ok... are u on high dose folic ? If not get some asap from doc / dsn and pick up normal folic acid and take 13 tablets a day until you get some that's the equivalent of 5mg my nurse told me x
For your body to not reject the pregnancy that's a good sign honestly my control was so awful two years ago that I rejected two pregnancies
Don't google avoid google lol
Congrats again and take it easy your doing all you can now and that's all that counts x