Unsweetened lemon reduces sugar in blood?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Everyone.
Does anyone use lemon to deduce their sugar levels? Does it cause any long term damage if use occasionally?
Dangerous or just a added tool like medication?

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I've not tried that @ickihun I did try a glass of dry red wine before bed as recommended by some posters on here, but it made no difference to my fbg levels whatsoever. I can't get them below 6 this week. Let us know how you get on with the lemon juice though. X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone.
Does anyone use lemon to deduce their sugar levels? Does it cause any long term damage if use occasionally?
Dangerous or just a added tool like medication?

I don't use lemon juice, except in cooking or to add a little flavour to sparkling water.

I know some people swear by a glass of hot water, with lemon first thing in the morning, but I don't know of anyone using it specifically with blood sugars in mind.

My only comment would be that if you are keen to give it a whirl, please ensure you don't take it last thing at night, after you have cleaned your teeth, as it is very acidic (all the sour stuff usually is) and has the potential to damage your tooth enamel.

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink hot water with a squeeze of lemon (about a quarter every time, in other words one lemon lasts me 4 mornings) and I haven't noticed any BG effect, one way or the other. There is also no difference from those mornings when I drink coffee instead. But you won't know until you try and measure your BGs for yourself!

Edit: Also, if you are following the strict version of LCHF as per Dr Bernstein, be aware that lemon juice contains sugar (fructose) even though it tastes sour!

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
There are some reports that vinegar can improve fasting blood glucose levels but the evidence is scant and the reported effect is small.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Lemon juice in hot water is reckoned to lower Colestrol levels

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Looking at bitter lemon mixer and no sugar is evident. I have drank it in the past after a type 1 diabetic friend used lemons to bring her sugar down. I'll let you know if effective for me. :)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use lemon juice in home-made salad dressings sometimes as an alternative to cider, coconut or red/white wine vinegar. First off, it has vitamin C, secondly though acid outside the body, lemon juice is alkaline in it. My personal opinion, but I doubt very much that anyone would ingest enough fructose from natural lemon juice to make a detrimental difference to sugar levels bc lemon juice is so sour but your mileage may vary.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a whole lemon grate the skin on a cheese grater put it all except the pips in the blender with a thumb size piece of fresh ginger chopped up a tspoon of tumeric powder and a 1/8 tspoon of black pepper mix with a cup of no sugar ribenna and drink add a hand full of fresh spinnach or kale if you want,you`ll never be ill on this 2 1/2 years daily ive been on this/// Type 1 for 47 years age 60 google each of these additives with the word health and read the results

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
To date I've had no benefit to my bitter lemon juice drink.
I'm not sucking enough lemons! Ha ha
Well it was worth a try.
I might try it again once I've lost a bit more weight. Maybe a fatty liver again stopping its magic?

Reactions: 2 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a whole lemon grate the skin on a cheese grater put it all except the pips in the blender with a thumb size piece of fresh ginger chopped up a tspoon of tumeric powder and a 1/8 tspoon of black pepper mix with a cup of no sugar ribenna and drink add a hand full of fresh spinnach or kale if you want,you`ll never be ill on this 2 1/2 years daily ive been on this/// Type 1 for 47 years age 60 google each of these additives with the word health and read the results

All the spices and greens are super healthy, but Ribena? Even the sugar-free version is highly processed.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a teenager I was told to drink lemon juice in hot water every morning to counteract a greasy, spotty skin. It didn't have a noticeable effect on my skin, but I was fairly sure it did my tooth enamel a power of no good...

However a lemon is a low carb fruit, so I can't imagine a glass of unsweetened lemon juice would do much at all to raise glucose levels, so depending on your meter you may see a slight rise, no rise or maybe a slight decrease.

I'd tend to be more concerned with keeping high sugar and starchy foods out of my diet, as avoiding these will have a far greater impact on reducing glucose levels a little drink of lemon.:D

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If lemon juice, even from lemons straight off the tree year-round, lowered my blood glucose - or my cholesterol - I wouldn't be here. (ie absolutely no beneficial effect that I have noticed, and I have quite a bit of lemon juice in quite a bit of everything.)