update from me

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had an interesting week with abnormal test results for urinalysis tests. It just turns out to be my bladder condition though in the end and nothing else.... all the anxiety for nothing. Although I've started to use catheters so I'm bleeding at times, etc... but it's a necessary thing as I either do that and face getting a UTI, or I don't do it and face getting a UTI and putting added pressure on my kidneys. I ended the week with getting a cortisone injection in the shoulder for my bursitis with impingement from the car accidents. I'm now dealing with the crazy sugar levels. I haven't eaten much today and getting 15 on my meter. ugh.

On a positive note I've been calorie counting using an app on my phone to track everything. It's been quite helpful. I was sick and tired of the weight gain from med dosage changes I've had in the past year and my weight has just been ballooning rapidly to the point I'm feeling very uncomfortable now and just can't tolerate it any more. My body isn't liking the more movement I'm doing so my pain level has increased.... but it's do it or suffer either way. I figure the weight has got to contribute to my pain level as well. I'm happy to report I finally saw my weight go down, even though slightly by 2kgs it's an improvement. My physio mentioned she thinks because of my systematic inflammation in my body it will be harder to lose weight as my body is in protective mode... I think she may be right. I just have to keep working at it though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear from you @Mep, although sorry to hear about your current situation. What a pain. Literally.

Reactions: Mep

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read of a study in a newspaper here in Denmark (in danish unfortunately ) but the surprising essens is by the way that people eating a high fibre diet from whole grain Rye have better prognose in loosing weight and what especially surprised the scientists/ researchers was that the people who ate the most whole grain rye also had much lower levels of inflamation..

I have the last half year tryed to eat much more fat, but have had a hard time going just to lower carb content in my daily food, with the result that I keep gaining weight day by day.. My initial great success with weight loss was by eating low fat and high fibres and very few fast carbs... so I´ll return to this successfull eating style again, and eat the famous danish black-bread with very high levels of fibres or maybe rye-porridge ... of cause I´ll still keep an eye on my combined level of carbs. so it doesn´t become too high on a daily basis..

so my promise to myself is to eat a big slice of dark rye-wholegrain bread daily and 1-2 carrots.. and what veg-dinner my daugther cooks for us in the evening.. and then this high protein skyr- kind of icelandic high protein yoghurt, and low fat cottage cheese... and a lot of olives and nuts .... some chicken breast and beef... and legumes / beans , this kind of foods made me lose rapidly by counting calories also and by also moving almost every day... I´ll also go back to move more on the days I don´t go to do many hours of fitness..

I have always had a hard time losing weight but doing the 1000-1500 daily calories and focusing on the above kinds of foods was effective for me...

I think the high fibre whole grain rye do feed another kind of intestines bacteria and maybe that is why this kind of food is helpfull in lowering general inflamation levels

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2017/10/27/gutjnl-2017-314786

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mention this just on the chance that it might help.
A family member was having to use catheters, but one day, sitting on the throne, needed to bend to pick up something from the floor - and - woosh.
It seems that getting jut the right stretch twist and bend in the body was what was needed to open things up.
If you do try it, do place feet wide apart so you do not do a nosedive from seat to floor or into the sink - but it did mean no more catheters, so it could help a lot of it works for you.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just read of a study in a newspaper here in Denmark (in danish unfortunately ) but the surprising essens is by the way that people eating a high fibre diet from whole grain Rye have better prognose in loosing weight and what especially surprised the scientists/ researchers was that the people who ate the most whole grain rye also had much lower levels of inflamation..

I have the last half year tryed to eat much more fat, but have had a hard time going just to lower carb content in my daily food, with the result that I keep gaining weight day by day.. My initial great success with weight loss was by eating low fat and high fibres and very few fast carbs... so I´ll return to this successfull eating style again, and eat the famous danish black-bread with very high levels of fibres or maybe rye-porridge ... of cause I´ll still keep an eye on my combined level of carbs. so it doesn´t become too high on a daily basis..

so my promise to myself is to eat a big slice of dark rye-wholegrain bread daily and 1-2 carrots.. and what veg-dinner my daugther cooks for us in the evening.. and then this high protein skyr- kind of icelandic high protein yoghurt, and low fat cottage cheese... and a lot of olives and nuts .... some chicken breast and beef... and legumes / beans , this kind of foods made me lose rapidly by counting calories also and by also moving almost every day... I´ll also go back to move more on the days I don´t go to do many hours of fitness..

I have always had a hard time losing weight but doing the 1000-1500 daily calories and focusing on the above kinds of foods was effective for me...

I think the high fibre whole grain rye do feed another kind of intestines bacteria and maybe that is why this kind of food is helpfull in lowering general inflamation levels

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2017/10/27/gutjnl-2017-314786

I'm glad this is working for you. I'm not supposed to be eating rye and a whole pile of other things. It does make things difficult. Although I figure if I just eat less and watch my calories that's the only way I can get around it. I've tried multiple diets in the past but now my diet is restricted it is hard. I've been eating more vegetables than my usual too and my body is rebelling with more pain. I can't seem to win. I made the mistake of eating two meals with vegetables and the next day I had an awful time at work with my IBS acting up. If it's not one thing, it's another. Although now I'm seeing my weight move in the right direction I'm hopeful I can slowly get it down to where I'm at least feeling comfortable again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I mention this just on the chance that it might help.
A family member was having to use catheters, but one day, sitting on the throne, needed to bend to pick up something from the floor - and - woosh.
It seems that getting jut the right stretch twist and bend in the body was what was needed to open things up.
If you do try it, do place feet wide apart so you do not do a nosedive from seat to floor or into the sink - but it did mean no more catheters, so it could help a lot of it works for you.

Interesting.... possibly to do with muscles? My bladder condition causes retention which means I can void, but I'm not fully emptying my bladder. That means stale urine which breeds bacteria and causes UTI's. So I've been told to cath at least once per day for now and on a bad day up to 3 times. They've given me all the tips of how to try and get it naturally out... but in the end nothing really works at times. Even when I think I have got it all out, if I insert a catheter, more comes out. It's not fun to have do, but a necessary thing for me now. I'm seeing a physio for treatment of it as well.