1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Update on Robbie

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Mrsrobbieswan, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mrsrobbieswan

Mrsrobbieswan · Well-Known Member

Once again I apologise for the lack of grammar in this post I am not the best speller in the world and it's easy for me to use my voice to text function on the phone Robbie has had hyper attack where his blood sugars are in the middle 20s I really don't understand how it can go from 2 to 22 so very quickly it's 4.50 in the morning and I have been awake all night I am so worried that my husband will become seriously ill I have four children and I know for a fact that the kids are his world he loves us all it's funny in a way because he is so stubborn there are only 5 people in his Ward in the hospital and all of them have some battle with diabetes I have read on the Internet that only 9% of people with pancreatic cancer survive so I face the real risk of losing my husband and that the diabetes was a symptom of this however I would rather him have type one and be completely dependent on me and insulin and the wonderful people on this forum to get him through his personal battle I wonder how many of you has faced a personal battle and come out the other end much stronger and determined to survive I have also read up on the Internet about liver conditions and this seems a much better option in my mind as although liver cancer is often terminal liver conditions and irregularities can often be treated or if not managed so I will take that over pancreatic cancer any day his lifestyle has been always over indulgent Robbie has a mental attitude that has frustrated me for years in the fact that he seems that he's invincible and we'll live forever no matter what he does he is a heavy drinker in my view but according to guidelines he is a moderate drinker so I don't discard that alcohol has played a big part in this but I really don't feel that it's the main contributor of the situation he has put on some weight I think that's due to the insulin he is on I have a meeting with the consultant in a few hours I haven't done my hair and I can smell myself so I really need to have a shower so I'm going to go now and use one of the showers in the hospital to freshen up i really pray that none of you in this forum have to go through what we have been through and I'm sure if not certain that there are people on this forum that have gone through much worse we are nothing special we are not a special case we are just Ordinary People going about our daily lives and diabetes has really thrown a spanner in the Works and raised its Ugly Head I want to thank each and everyone of you for the messages and support you have given me and my family it really has made a difference and I really hope that if anyone of you were in my situation at any given time when you least expect it when things seem perfect and then all of a sudden your world comes crashing down that the people on this wonderful forum will be there for you the way that they are there for us so once again I really do apologize for the lack of grammar full stops and commas and even paragraphs but it's so convenient for me to talk this way as I was more intelligent going into school then leaving and my spelling is really bad thank you once again and I will keep you updated I will probably post shortly after 9 a.m. once we have seen the consultant thank you thank you thank you

• Hug Hug x 17
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    #1 Mrsrobbieswan, Nov 4, 2017 at 5:02 AM
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Beverley. Now and in the future you and Robbie will continue to be in our thoughts.
    I don't like internet percentages.
    A work companion was dx'd with pancreatic cancer 5/6 yrs ago. He's still going strong if not stronger.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this Beverley. It must be very worrying. Thinking of you and Robbie.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hello Beverley, and thanks a million for taking the time to update on Robbie's progress. There's still lots of options open, till you get all the test results and info back, and perhaps even then, it may take a while before a full diagnosis is clear. For sure though, Robbie is in the best place. Try and get an hour's kip if you can, before you see the consultant - & hopefully that shower will do you a power of good. Don't want to pressure you in any way, you got enough to cope with, but if and when you have time, you know we'd be glad to hear how things are going. Take care of you too, you're both in all our thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mrsrobbieswan

I just can't stop crying. I know crying doesn't help any situation and I'm a woman that doesn't usually cry a lot but the dam has busted on my tear ducts. Thank you all for your great messages

• Hug Hug x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Cry all you want, Beverley, it's an amazing de-stressor and so comforting (and being wimmen, we're allowed to cry :) )

edit: spelling

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #6 Salvia, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:19 AM
  7. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with crying. It is a release of all the stress and tension you, as a mother and wife, have been carrying these past weeks.

You've done incredibly well to be at Robbie's side in a strange hospital in a strange city, leaving your children behind in good hands in your absence. It is obvious you are a devoted wife and mother, but you are human and you are entitled to have your moments. You must be exhausted too. Its good that you've been able to release those tears before your meeting so go ahead and fill yer boots!

Draw strength from the trust that you have placed in your friends on this forum, safe in the knowledge that we are all behind you and care about you both, and your family. Have another little weep and then walk tall into the meeting. Take a notebook too or jot notes into your phone so that you remember as much as possible that was said during the meeting. You could even ask if you can record the meeting on your phone.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #7 poshtotty, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:22 AM
  8. Mrsrobbieswan

The meeting with the consultant is at 8am but will update you at 9. Just had a shower but still feel very tired. My hair looks like Tina Turner in a static electricity storm ( as Robbie would say ). I don't want to be away from him. We have private health insurance so also having a meeting with them at some point today. Robbie has slept for 18 hrs straight. I just wish he would wake up and smile at me.

• Hug Hug x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mrsrobbieswan

I left my makeup bag in the house as we left in such a hurry. When Robbie opens his eyes he will see a " Plain Jane " but nothing I can do about it. Looking at him now I am taking stock on these past few weeks and how much we have been through. I have a lot of hate inside me. I hate diabetes I hate the situation, and I hate not looking nice for Robbie.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cant offer any advice other than, don't take much credence from internet averages, if @Robbieswan does have something wrong with his liver, they can do things for him, his sleeping is his bodies way of recovering from his awful ordeal. You also need to try and recover a bit, from this, the hate and anger you are feeling is normal, and you need to feel it to be able to face the challenge ahead.
    Before you go into your Consultation and if you can, write down any and all questions you have, regarding Robbie and do not be frightened to ask him to repeat if necessary, one thing I have learned from all my dealings with consultant's is, they are the same as us and if I want to know something just damn well ask them.
    Good luck and I am sending you all a massive hug as you more than deserve it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. poshtotty

I totally agree with @johnpol and wouldn't rely on the internet for information.

As for the girlie dilemma, I'm sure Robbie would rather wake up to find an un-made-up wife beside him, than to wake up and discover that his wife had stayed at home, along with her make-up bag!
    Isn't there a hospital shop there? Many of the larger hospitals have a small chemist within the premises where you should be able to pick up a lipstick at least to make yourself feel better. The hospital I was visiting yesterday had a very well stocked Boots the Chemist pharmacy on the ground floor along with the coffee shops etc.

• Useful Useful x 4
  12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An awful lot of tests are done to rule things out so that investigations can move on apace. Don't do the Dr.Google thing in such circumstances, it just worries and confuses you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mrsrobbieswan

Yes there are shops here but they don't open till 9am. I guess you are right, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. poshtotty

A client once told me that they have a rule in their house - if you've read it on the internet, ignore it and do the opposite!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Beverley, when Robbie wakes up he will see his beautiful wife, his rock, his best mate, his 'partner in crime', the love of his life - he will see YOU.

You're terrific. I am in utter awe of you. If ever there's a girl who didn't need any lipstick in order to conquer the world this morning, it's YOU.

Hugs.

:)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Mrsrobbieswan

What an amazing thing to say. Thank you so very much.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mrsrobbieswan

Had a meeting with the consultant and I looked him straight in the eye all the time never lost eye contact as I wanted him to be completely straight with me about my husband's situation he wanted to look away but kept coming back to make eye contact I think at that point he knew I could take any kind of news he was about to throw at me Robbie was still asleep at the time and the consultant insisted that one of the nurses did the finger prick test it was 19.7 a definite improvement from the low 20s and it did do a lot to create a calming atmosphere when we were talking the consultant has ruled out pancreatic cancer however the liver function test have not come back yet he has re diagnosed Robbie as type 1 diabetic as there are certain symptoms and results that would not conform to type 2 diabetes honestly I can cope with that what I would say is that I hope documenting our journey on this wonderful forum has helped just one person and then it would have all been worthwhile the reason why he keep sleeping as one of you said is his body is repairing he is not in a coma and can wake up at any time but he suggested that I speak softly to him to calm him and reduce his blood pressure which is still quite high not dangerously high I am going now to get something to eat as I haven't eaten since 4 o'clock yesterday I will keep you updated on this thread so that I don't flood the forum

• Like Like x 7
    • Hug Hug x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you Beverley. It's good that they've ruled out pancreatic cancer. Hugs to you both.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #18 woodywhippet61, Nov 4, 2017 at 9:01 AM
  19. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sending love and hugs to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Mrsrobbieswan,

I am so glad that they ruled out pancreatic cancer. Hope all the other tests also come back clear. My thoughts are with you and Robbie. You have been through a very difficult time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook