1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Update on Robbie

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by Mrsrobbieswan, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Thank goodness it's not pancreatic cancer what a massive relief. I sincerely hope the liver tests come back clear, I've got everything crossed that it's 'just' type 1.

With regard to the medical insurance I transferred from an NHS to a private hospital after 4 days as an inpatient and it was very simple, two phonecalls not complicated and they arranged it all. Although the nhs hospital was good it was noisy and stressful and tests were not done as promptly as they should have been. And I got more time with the consultant to ask questions.

I hope Robbie is feeling better soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my experience of dealing regularly with consultants for the past 27+ years, how we come across to them, greatly affects the way they speak to us. If we appear composed, articulate, knowledgeable (and grateful!) they are more likely to be open and generous with information, than if we appear emotional, distressed and out of our depth. Your tactic of maintaining eye contact was an excellent one and you achieved a good result. Give yourself a pat on the back!

The consultant's new diagnosis must be a huge relief to you, and explains much. Quite a few of your friends here rose up in arms at some of the comments made on one of Robbie's earlier threads and have good reason to now feel exonerated in the light of this new information.

Keep up the good work. You're both very lucky to have each other

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #22 poshtotty, Nov 4, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

A huge relief for you that pancreatic cancer has been ruled out. Please take care of yourself. We are all thinking about you both and sending you love and hugs. x

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you so much for keeping us informed.
    And it sounds like you are handling this awful situation a great deal better than I would in the circumstances!
    Very glad they have ruled out pancreatic cancer. Now lets hope they continue to rule out other stuff until they come to a proper, clear diagnosis that you can both work with to get Robbie back on his feet and grumbling about having to skip the beer for a while ;)

We are all rooting for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mrsrobbieswan

Mrsrobbieswan · Well-Known Member

You're comments are just wonderful. Really wonderful. I just want him to wake up now. I have quite a high voice so whispering in his hear may sound like moaning at him rather than calming. Got some make up too so at least I look half decent for him when he wakes up. Thank you all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

So glad to hear it's not pancreatic cancer. Keep strong. Sending lots of hugs and look after yourself and Robbie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So pleased the cancer has been ruled out and if there is a liver problem that will now be sorted out his diabetes will get on track and you can both move forward. When Robbie wakes up he is going to feel so much better for the long sleep but not so much thinking that he is invincible I hope...a man thing they are very good at sticking their head in the sand.... I am sure it will all work out well now and you can both put this horrible episode behind you . As you say many will have gone through this and have come out stronger on the other side and so will you. You will soon be back enjoying your family life once again so best wishes to you both

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. serenity648

serenity648 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No wise words, but hugs being sent to you both.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

You're brilliant! So is the sleeping Robbie. He will be oblivious of a lot but one day may look back at your posts and see it from your point of view too.
    You know men. They so think we crying women are daft but also love the attention, from his wife. He'll be relieved your there and may even fight with you due to a little fear. Try and roll with his emotions. We woman are geared up for open emotion so much, more than some men.
    Don't hold his fearful talk personal. He will show you he's scared, the only way he can. But just you. Probably. As it should be.
    He won't understand all of your upset but I'm sure most of it.
    It is right to cry. For Robbie too. It may even be relief!
    A correct diagnosis always helps. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I have been lurking on this but I will just step in with my very best wishes for the both of you. May you never have such a worrying time again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

More hugs and best wishes coming from me :). I'm so glad that it isn't cancer. xx

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Glenmac

Glenmac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry I have been away from the forum,travelling north and have just now got internet access and logged on to catch up with your posts.More hugs sent your way.Like others have said,sleep is a wonderful thing and will help Robbie to build up strength to cope.This goes for you too.Do try to get some sleep and be kind to yourself,you have been through an awful time.Carers must be cared for too.You are allowed to cry.Tears are good.Good wishes to you both winging your way x

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@Mrsrobbieswan hello. I'm so sorry to hear of the stressful time you and Robbie have been having. Thank you for letting us know how he is getting on. I hope he is feeling tons better after his long sleep. X

• Like Like x 2
  14. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

Please remember that you to need to sleep and eat or you could be unwell and i think that is the last thing you need. If your children are old enough could they come in and give u a couple of hours rest. Hopefully once all the tests are back you will have a clearer picture of what is happening and as a family you can help each other along, you will be shocked at what children can get through ( my two kids now aged 12 and 14 have seen their mam leave them and have had to see me go through a pancreas and kidney transplant all in the last 3 years and are both doing well at school and when they ask about any medical problems i tell them the truth and i am so proud off them). You will also need support as it is life changing for you both, reading about what you say about robbie is he a bit stuburn in his ways, well as a family you will have to tell him how much you all love him and sometimes he maybe putting his pride before he will admit he is wrong as some of us men do. As far as crying goes i would be amazed if you did not cry, i am a 41 year old male and i still cry now and again thinking of what i have put my children and parents through. You seem like a wouderful caring woman and to hell to the make up, my dad tells me i look like a tramp even when i have a suit on. Stay strong and well and tell Robbie to get well soon

15. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I like what Leah above said about you seeming like a wonderful caring woman: I've been thinking that too:
    the care you show is very touching, and very much to your credit. Just stay tough a little longer: if this turns out to be type 1, then those ferocious hypos and whatnot can be accounted for and dealt with accordingly; I'm optimistic that things will start working out for you

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mrsrobbieswan

Mrsrobbieswan · Well-Known Member

Thank you all

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Contralto

Contralto Other · Well-Known Member

Maybe it will be comforting to see you as a keeping it real normal loving wife instead of dolled up unreality . But then, I always look like Tina Turner just emered from a lot of humidity, so. I am thinking that he really needs the rest to heal and that you need rest, too. Who is taking care of you?

Keep the faith!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook