Update

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I went for my first hospital appointment with a diabetes doctor today.The doctor said I should be on medication but I must go to my own doctor and he would prescribe probably metformin..I had a long chat about my eating disorder and felt quite positive.As shes not an eating disorder doctor she found it difficult but I actually learned quite a lot from her. I came awsy with magazine called 'your guide to Type2 diabetes' which I'm going to start reading when I get into bed.I'm pleased to tell you all i've still managed to refrain from making myself sick. It's been over 2 weeks now and I've never gone this long before.I want to say i think I'm over it but I can't just yet as it's still early days and I do feel very tempted some days but darren (my partner) seems to know and he takes me and diesel (the dog) for a walk or suggests we go shopping,anything to get my attention away from the bathroom!!!!.As I said earlier,I feel positive and I feel proud of myself for getting this far
I'm only taking tiny steps now as my expectations at first were far too high..I'm eating chicken breast with my vegetables some days and I even ate kippers the other day (I only ate about a quarter.of the portion).and really enjoyed them even though they were repeating on me for the rest of the day!!! Without you people out there that have given me the determination and willpower I could never have done this.Ive had my eating disorder for over 38 years and could never talk to anyone about it as I didn't have anyone to talk to.My ex husband knew about my eating problems but just let me get on with it,as long as his dinner was on the table when he got from work he was fine!!.The only person around me who cares Is Darren, He deserves a medal for taking care of me like he does,he's my."diamond geezer"and I'm not afraid to tell the world I love him..Thankyou everyone and I'll keep you updated,I couldn't have got this far without you x x x

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Great job Jo! You are doing it. I am on metformin and I think it helps me a lot. Just follow the instructions they give you for ramping it up slow if you are prescribed it.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou,I did get upset today as my daughters told my mum they didn't want the xmas presents I'd bought for my grandchildren.This is all because I said something they didn't like.Ive got 7 grandchildren who I love with all my heart and I've not seen them since September and it's killing me,they know I'm struggling with my eating and diabetes but it seems they don't care.Its not the grandchildren's fault I argued with their mums and it was the last nail in my coffin when they told my mum they wouldn't be accepting the xmas presents.I have to concentrate on getting well as I have my mum to look after and they dropped that bombshell.I have to hope that my grandchildren come to me when they're old enough and I'll tell them everything,I've got nothing to hide x x x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou,I did get upset today as my daughters told my mum they didn't want the xmas presents I'd bought for my grandchildren.This is all because I said something they didn't like.Ive got 7 grandchildren who I love with all my heart and I've not seen them since September and it's killing me,they know I'm struggling with my eating and diabetes but it seems they don't care.Its not the grandchildren's fault I argued with their mums and it was the last nail in my coffin when they told my mum they wouldn't be accepting the xmas presents.I have to concentrate on getting well as I have my mum to look after and they dropped that bombshell.I have to hope that my grandchildren come to me when they're old enough and I'll tell them everything,I've got nothing to hide x x x

So sad that you must experience so much grief . Well ones family members like oneself are often very sensitive ... I know from my own family how terrible hard it can be ... one person has to stretch the hand out first and sometimes all one can do is just to wait and hope knowing that ones hand would not be taken ....
But you are doing an amazing job about yourself and so wonderful you have such a loving and supporting man .

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapsy

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Jogreen21 As I read your posts I found myself willing you on, as I'm sure others have too! Sounds like you're making great progress.. well done!

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is hell and high water. Nobody truly understands that doesn't have it. Hold your head high and do the best you can. Nothing more you can do.

Reactions: Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
@Jogreen21, Some battles need to be focused on one at a time. You are doing brilliantly to overcome a deep issue because you are clearly stronger than you think. Family is family is family...swings, roundabouts and a lot of emotion to eat you up or to fill your heart - I'd say it's more a war than a battle and it's often best to leave the conflict to others (particularly if they are in the wrong). Use your energy instead on those battles you can win with no collateral damage - and it looks like your diabetes/eating disorder is one of them. You could say the diabetes has helped you face a demon...and you are growing as a result. I am sure that in time, family issues will resolve themselves (and it's not all about what you have to do). Regardless, if your grandchildren become increasingly aware of your determination to overcome a limiting psychological and physical condition so that you can lessen the impact of diabetes despite all the grief...you will be a very good role model for them. I think you are becoming a pretty impressive person (if you haven't been already), and that will be why you have the love and support of you partner...and why you will succeed. You cannot pick your family...but you can pick a way to live. One thing at a time, pal. Good luck.

D

debrasue

Well I went for my first hospital appointment with a diabetes doctor today.The doctor said I should be on medication but I must go to my own doctor and he would prescribe probably metformin..I had a long chat about my eating disorder and felt quite positive.As shes not an eating disorder doctor she found it difficult but I actually learned quite a lot from her. I came awsy with magazine called 'your guide to Type2 diabetes' which I'm going to start reading when I get into bed.I'm pleased to tell you all i've still managed to refrain from making myself sick. It's been over 2 weeks now and I've never gone this long before.I want to say i think I'm over it but I can't just yet as it's still early days and I do feel very tempted some days but darren (my partner) seems to know and he takes me and diesel (the dog) for a walk or suggests we go shopping,anything to get my attention away from the bathroom!!!!.As I said earlier,I feel positive and I feel proud of myself for getting this far
I'm only taking tiny steps now as my expectations at first were far too high..I'm eating chicken breast with my vegetables some days and I even ate kippers the other day (I only ate about a quarter.of the portion).and really enjoyed them even though they were repeating on me for the rest of the day!!! Without you people out there that have given me the determination and willpower I could never have done this.Ive had my eating disorder for over 38 years and could never talk to anyone about it as I didn't have anyone to talk to.My ex husband knew about my eating problems but just let me get on with it,as long as his dinner was on the table when he got from work he was fine!!.The only person around me who cares Is Darren, He deserves a medal for taking care of me like he does,he's my."diamond geezer"and I'm not afraid to tell the world I love him..Thankyou everyone and I'll keep you updated,I couldn't have got this far without you x x x
Well done, Jo - we're proud of you and rooting for you to win this! Hugs xx

Reactions: Jogreen21

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@pleinster thankyou.its true,I would never have sorted out my eating disorder had it not for me being diagnosed with type2. I see it as killing 2 birds with one stone.
Believe me its so hard but I'm getting there with the help of you lovely people out there.sometimes I feel like I'm going mad.
I have hope that I can do this x x

Reactions: KezG and Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Jo - You have done so well. 2 weeks? I can't expressed how impressed I genuinely ma with your effort and fortitude with this.

As for thinking you're over your eating disorder; I can only speak from my own, albeit different experience (I was anorexic, not bulimic), but the concern about my disorder was with me for many, many moons, although in my conscious mind less over time. When I was diagnosed T2, I was terrified that the need to change and manage my diet would re-awaken the controlling disorder was with me for a long time, but much less so now.

Give yourself your own time to reach your new comfort zone. I know I go on, and on about it, but think of the length of time to get where you were a couple of weeks ago, and try to accept the sustained turnaround can take a while.

Celebrate your positives. Sometimes life delivers some real curved balls, whether health, family, business or whatever, and we just have to cope the best way we can. One thing I will say though is, if you can maintain your disorder in this great new place, you will be better placed to fight those battles and work through the issues. Over time, I am positive your girls will see and respect the new you.

Reactions: KezG and Jogreen21

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@AndBreathe I look forward to your posts,its what keeps me positive and able to carry on.I too was anorexic years ago,I think I must have swapped it for Bulimia.I like to think I'm over it but I know its a long rocky road ahead but I'll get there . . . Hopefully x x

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Go Jo Go! Well done!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe I look forward to your posts,its what keeps me positive and able to carry on.I too was anorexic years ago,I think I must have swapped it for Bulimia.I like to think I'm over it but I know its a long rocky road ahead but I'll get there . . . Hopefully x x

I know I sound like a broken record, but set yourself modest, achievable, with effort, goals then think bigger as you go. You'll be fine.

Reactions: Jogreen21

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@pleinster
Thankyou for your post.
I'm still eating only 3 things a day but ive still not made myself sick which is amazing for me.darren is going to cook a special meal for us on new years day but he said theres no pressure on me to eat it.so I'm just going to try my best.i.would love to think I could eat a small meal and my new years resolution is to try to eat more.x x x

Reactions: KezG