ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Firstly, I am to lazy tonight to look through to find my post re bipolar and t2 so thought sod it and do an update.
Last Wednesday I saw my psych.
We spoke about whether my gp had acted on my psychs last letter to him. As usual nothing has been done by my gp. Psych was not amused as now that's 3 letters he has sent requesting things and nothing has been done.
Latest update with me, my left leg when walking, the numbness and pins and needles rise up from my foot/ankle, within a few minutes of walking, my leg just gives way, this has got alot worse over around 3 weeks.
I still Don, t want to see my gp but have to do something so I have managed to pre book an appointment for the 14th September. Though when I go, I doubt very much that gp will do anything

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, @ally1 that is not good. Can you change GP?
Also, have you considered informing your MP.? You really do deserve better, and need someone to support you in all of this.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh, @ally1 that is not good. Can you change GP?
Also, have you considered informing your MP.? You really do deserve better, and need someone to support you in all of this.
I have looked into changing surgeries but Don, t fit into their catchment areas.
I will get in contact with my mp

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Another update. Am still with my gp practice as the next 2 nearest surgeries both say I am out of their catchment area.
I plucked up the courage to see my gp this morning.
I explained about the numbness going up from my left ankle to just above my knee when walking, and that I have had several falls because of it.
He gave me a number to self refer to a physio. I rang this morning and had to leave a message saying what my problem is. So now waiting for a call back from them. Have no idea how soon they will call me. I asked my gp whether it's worth buying a walking stick, he replied, to wait until I see the physio as they may suggest that or to give me advice about strengthening my muscles in my leg.
There wasn,t time to ask anything else but at least I got somewhere with self referral to the psyhio

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Another update. Am still with my gp practice as the next 2 nearest surgeries both say I am out of their catchment area.
I plucked up the courage to see my gp this morning.
I explained about the numbness going up from my left ankle to just above my knee when walking, and that I have had several falls because of it.
He gave me a number to self refer to a physio. I rang this morning and had to leave a message saying what my problem is. So now waiting for a call back from them. Have no idea how soon they will call me. I asked my gp whether it's worth buying a walking stick, he replied, to wait until I see the physio as they may suggest that or to give me advice about strengthening my muscles in my leg.
There wasn,t time to ask anything else but at least I got somewhere with self referral to the psyhio
Hi ally1 glad you managed to sort something out with your GP and hope you get the help with your leg problems.K

Reactions: ally1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Ally, I do hope the physio can help you. xx

As for walking sticks, it is better to have one that is the right type and length for you personally, rather than one bought from a shop. The physio should help you with this. My mother got hers for free, not from a physio but from the Occupational Therapist people who also provided her with other accessories such as a bath lift and grab rails/ They all came for free.

A relative with walking difficulties bought on of those shopping trolley things - just a bag on the front for shopping, 4 wheels, and a handle for pushing it. She used it rather like a walking frame, in the house and outside.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh Ally, I do hope the physio can help you. xx

As for walking sticks, it is better to have one that is the right type and length for you personally, rather than one bought from a shop. The physio should help you with this. My mother got hers for free, not from a physio but from the Occupational Therapist people who also provided her with other accessories such as a bath lift and grab rails/ They all came for free.

A relative with walking difficulties bought on of those shopping trolley things - just a bag on the front for shopping, 4 wheels, and a handle for pushing it. She used it rather like a walking frame, in the house and outside.
Thank you.
I rang and was on hold for nearly 2 hours. Rang back and left a message explaining what was wrong. As yet no phone call from them

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I see the phsyio next Monday. Am so hoping they can help me.
This morning I could have cried with the pain. I must be walking differently to compensate my left leg because now I have hip pain. Beginning to feel like sciatica

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I see the phsyio next Monday. Am so hoping they can help me.
This morning I could have cried with the pain. I must be walking differently to compensate my left leg because now I have hip pain. Beginning to feel like sciatica
Hope they have answers and help for you, good luck K

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about waiting to get a proper walking stick and being told how to use it.

My father in law decided he needed a walking stick, and bought one from a charity shop. But his pain and discomfort got worse and worse. Eventually he got an appointment about it, and received a severe telling off! Not only was the walking stick too short for him, he was also using it on the wrong side.

The physio gave him the right stick and told him when and how to use it - and his pain improved within a couple of weeks. Now he has stopped needing the stick at all.

Really hope your appointment goes well on Monday!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I agree about waiting to get a proper walking stick and being told how to use it.

My father in law decided he needed a walking stick, and bought one from a charity shop. But his pain and discomfort got worse and worse. Eventually he got an appointment about it, and received a severe telling off! Not only was the walking stick too short for him, he was also using it on the wrong side.

The physio gave him the right stick and told him when and how to use it - and his pain improved within a couple of weeks. Now he has stopped needing the stick at all.

Thank you. Am really hoping that I can get a walking stick. If not then will buy one myself

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

I defininatly need some kind of aid to help

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Am really hoping that I can get a walking stick. If not then will buy one myself

If the physio won't provide you with one, you could ask her to tell you how you could choose one for yourself, to ensure you get it right.

Sometimes we need something, even if just to boost our confidence.

My neighbour had her second hip replacement a few months ago. After a while, I'd see her walking outside or going out to her car, using a stick, whereas indoors she'd be whizzing around fine.

When I mentioned this to her she said she was, quite frankly, scared of falling outdoors and the stick just helped her doing things that scared her.

It it helps you get out and about and makes you more confident of remaining upright, then I say go for it.

Good luck for Monday.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
If the physio won't provide you with one, you could ask her to tell you how you could choose one for yourself, to ensure you get it right.

Sometimes we need something, even if just to boost our confidence.

My neighbour had her second hip replacement a few months ago. After a while, I'd see her walking outside or going out to her car, using a stick, whereas indoors she'd be whizzing around fine.

When I mentioned this to her she said she was, quite frankly, scared of falling outdoors and the stick just helped her doing things that scared her.

It it helps you get out and about and makes you more confident of remaining upright, then I say go for it.

Good luck for Monday.
I admit at the moment, I rarely go out because of the falling over. I am now finding that my hips and right leg are hurting, presuming to compensate for my left leg. The only way I cane describe the pain, it's very similar to having sciatica pain.its getting to the point of bring my mood down

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I admit at the moment, I rarely go out because of the falling over. I am now finding that my hips and right leg are hurting, presuming to compensate for my left leg. The only way I cane describe the pain, it's very similar to having sciatica pain.its getting to the point of bring my mood down

Ally, I think after all this time, it's very understandable that it's getting you down. Please do really make good use of the physio appointment. There may be more things the physios can help you with in addition to a walking stick or crutch.

I know you've not had a hip replacement, but after my neighbour's the physio hs the Occupational Therapy people visit her at home and they provided a few things, like a perching stool and for example, to make home a bit safer, based on reduced mobility.

Fingers crossed for you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my mum's Occupational Therapy people provided loads of accessories for her in the home. All free. Please do make some enquiries when you see the physio.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ally, I think after all this time, it's very understandable that it's getting you down. Please do really make good use of the physio appointment. There may be more things the physios can help you with in addition to a walking stick or crutch.

I know you've not had a hip replacement, but after my neighbour's the physio hs the Occupational Therapy people visit her at home and they provided a few things, like a perching stool and for example, to make home a bit safer, based on reduced mobility.

Fingers crossed for you.
Thank you.
I am lucky that I am in a council bungalow, been here 6 years and luckily the bungalow already had a wet shower installed, grab rail on the wall where you stand under the shower and also have a grab rail and a pull down rail thingy for the toilet. Also I have a shower stool that I can sit on in the shower.
I was surprised to get this bungalow as at the time of getting the bungalow, I didn't, t have any physical problems. I found out from a newish neighbour that now people can only bid on these bungalows if you are 55 and above.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Yes, my mum's Occupational Therapy people provided loads of accessories for her in the home. All free. Please do make some enquiries when you see the physio.
Thank you.
In my council bungalow, I have rails and toilet rails and aids and a wet room with a shower stool.
I was surprised to get the bungalow as when I got the bungalow, I didn't, t have any physical problems.
Since found out from a newish neighbour, that now my road, people have to be 55 or over to bid on these bungalows. I was 49 when I moved in

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
I am lucky that I am in a council bungalow, been here 6 years and luckily the bungalow already had a wet shower installed, grab rail on the wall where you stand under the shower and also have a grab rail and a pull down rail thingy for the toilet. Also I have a shower stool that I can sit on in the shower.
I was surprised to get this bungalow as at the time of getting the bungalow, I didn't, t have any physical problems. I found out from a newish neighbour that now people can only bid on these bungalows if you are 55 and above.

Gosh Ally. That was a stroke of luck that's showing you benefits now.