ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I suggest you ring your CPN and tell her all of this. Giving you stronger drugs doesnt address the source of the pain. Have some hugs too.
I will call my cpn tomorrow.
I wasn,t on any painkillers for the nerve pain

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Good girl, Ally. It's sometimes good for the Docs to see how we really feel. When we're wearing our best stiff upper lip, I think they sometimes think everything's OK.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the new meds.
Thank you.
Sometimes being manic has its advantages.
I will see how the painkillers work as was before just taking it painkillers

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
One thing my gp mentioned was my last blood test. It was 6.7% And the one before was 6.2% so only a slight rise.
I was expecting it to be alot higher.
I am happy with the result but gp commented about the slight rise and he wants the next one to be lower

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have just read this thread from the beginning and really admire the determination you have shown to get professional people to value your health as much as you do. Word has got round the surgery that your cpn is no pushover too, so hang onto her. It is a shame she was not at your GP appointment to tell him that if he had paid attention to your earlier requests for help with the neuropathy then the HbA1c might have been lower. Has he picked up on the earlier requests from your psych? I hope your new medication works for you.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have just read this thread from the beginning and really admire the determination you have shown to get professional people to value your health as much as you do. Word has got round the surgery that your cpn is no pushover too, so hang onto her. It is a shame she was not at your GP appointment to tell him that if he had paid attention to your earlier requests for help with the neuropathy then the HbA1c might have been lower. Has he picked up on the earlier requests from your psych? I hope your new medication works for you.
Thank you.
To be honest, I didn't, t ask whether gp had read through my letters from my psych.
There are still some things Un resolved but at least I got some proper painkillers.
When I got home and read the label, on day 6, I need to start taking 9 300mg aday. As I was given 100, they will soon be used up. My gp said he wanted to see me again before they ran out, to see how I am on them. So it roughly works out about 11 days supply. Now the catch is, there are no re bookable appts, so I Don, t know whether to ask for a phone consultation

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
To be honest, I didn't, t ask whether gp had read through my letters from my psych.
There are still some things Un resolved but at least I got some proper painkillers.
When I got home and read the label, on day 6, I need to start taking 9 300mg aday. As I was given 100, they will soon be used up. My gp said he wanted to see me again before they ran out, to see how I am on them. So it roughly works out about 11 days supply. Now the catch is, there are no re bookable appts, so I Don, t know whether to ask for a phone consultation

Blimey, that is a lot of tablets per day! You will rattle.

I would ring and ask what to do. As he asked you to make the appointmernt he may be able to squeeze you in. Failing that, a phone call appointment. I found in the past that when a GP has rung me, after listening to my story, she has squeezed me in to see her after surgery.

Reactions: ally1

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1: I am not bipolar but someone very close to me was bipolar (except back then, they used the old term for it). Congratulations for your determined efforts. I know what you mean by making use of the "manic" phase. At those times, you can move mountains, albeit with all sorts of flashing "caution" warnings!

Well done!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@ally1: I am not bipolar but someone very close to me was bipolar (except back then, they used the old term for it). Congratulations for your determined efforts. I know what you mean by making use of the "manic" phase. At those times, you can move mountains, albeit with all sorts of flashing "caution" warnings!

Well done!
Thank you
So many people have mental health issues and are afraid to say because of the stigma.
I was the same, that's why I am so open on the forum about it. I said about having bipolar because I felt it might help others on here to maybe open up. I now realise there's nothing to be ashamed of having a mental illness

Reactions: Salvia

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Blimey, that is a lot of tablets per day! You will rattle.

I would ring and ask what to do. As he asked you to make the appointmernt he may be able to squeeze you in. Failing that, a phone call appointment. I found in the past that when a GP has rung me, after listening to my story, she has squeezed me in to see her after surgery.
I agree I will rattle. It just worries me that taking 9 aday seems alot to me. Especially with all my other meds.
I have decided to call the surgery later today just to check that it the right amount

Reactions: Freema
S

serenity648

Thats a lot to be taking, and I thought it had to be introduced and increased very gradually? I also notice that one in ten can have their mental health affected, so I will keep vibing for you that it works well for you.

Maybe discuss the dosage with your cpn as, in my experience, cpn's know a lot about drug interactions.

Reactions: ally1 and zand

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1

Have a look at this
https://www.drugs.com/dosage/gabapentin.html

I am wondering if it means 900mg not 9 tablets. I could, of course be wrong, so you must check.

You must check, and if you get nowhere at the surgery, a pharmacy is the best option. Pharmacists know more than doctors about tablets, doses, and interactions. It is their job.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@ally1

Have a look at this
https://www.drugs.com/dosage/gabapentin.html

I am wondering if it means 900mg not 9 tablets. I could, of course be wrong, so you must check.

You must check, and if you get nowhere at the surgery, a pharmacy is the best option. Pharmacists know more than doctors about tablets, doses, and interactions. It is their job.
Thank you for the link.
Will go and look

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Thats a lot to be taking, and I thought it had to be introduced and increased very gradually? I also notice that one in ten can have their mental health affected, so I will keep vibing for you that it works well for you.

Maybe discuss the dosage with your cpn as, in my experience, cpn's know a lot about drug interactions.
On the label it says one daily for 3 days, then one twice aday for 3 days, then three to be taken 3 times aday.
It's the 3 x 3 daily that I am querying

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Gabapentin 300mg
Panic over, I rang the surgery queries taking 3 tabs 3 times aday.
It's 1 aday for 3 days, then 1 x 300mg twice aday for 3 days, then 3 x 300 mg aday
The chemist label says after 6 days to take 3 x 300mg 3 times aday. The last one is the one I queried.
Good job I did check as gp said if I had taken 9 aday, I would seriously taken a overdose.
He will contact the chemist and say the mistake they have made. It's a good job I was alerted to the amount.
I dread to think what would have happened if not checked or if a vulnerable person followed what the chemist had said. Xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gabapentin 300mg
Panic over, I rang the surgery queries taking 3 tabs 3 times aday.
It's 1 aday for 3 days, then 1 x 300mg twice aday for 3 days, then 3 x 300 mg aday
The chemist label says after 6 days to take 3 x 300mg 3 times aday. The last one is the one I queried.
Good job I did check as gp said if I had taken 9 aday, I would seriously taken a overdose.
He will contact the chemist and say the mistake they have made. It's a good job I was alerted to the amount.
I dread to think what would have happened if not checked or if a vulnerable person followed what the chemist had said. Xx

Phew! Thank goodness you were sensible enough to query it.