update

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now even more confused. After speckling with my surgery about the amount that I should take, I have read the leaflet and also looked online and they say 3 times 3 tablets aday is the norm.
That's what says on my box but queried it because I thought 9 aday was alot
My surgery did say after that it's 1 times 3 aday

it seems to be different doses for different kinds of nerophathy

https://www.practicalpainmanagement...on-opioids/gabapentin-dosing-neuropathic-pain
Gabapentin Dosing Considerations
Three gabapentin products are FDA approved to treat PHN. The different formulations cannot be interchanged and each has its own dosing schedule.

• For immediate-release gabapentin (Neurontin), dosing may be initiated with 300 mg on day 1, doubled on day 2 (300 mg twice a day), and tripled on day 3 (300 mg 3 times a day). The dose can then be titrated up as needed for pain relief to a maximum dose of 1,800 mg daily (divided into 3 daily doses). Clinical studies referenced in the package insert state that efficacy for a range of doses from 1,800 mg/day to 3,600 mg/day were observed; however, there was no additional benefit seen with doses greater than 1,800 mg/d.1
  • Gralise is an extended-release gabapentin formulation that also is FDA approved for PHN with a titration schedule that begins with 300 mg on day 1; 600 mg on day 2; 900 mg on days 3 to 6; 1,200 mg on days 7 to 10; 1,500 mg on days 11 to 14; and 1,800 mg on day 15 and thereafter.2
  • The third gabapentin formulation for PHN treatment is another extended-release product, Horizant. The starting dose is 600 mg in the morning for 3 days, increased to 600 mg twice daily on day 4 and thereafter. A daily dose of Horizant greater than 1,200 mg provided no additional benefit at the expense of side effects.3

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
it seems to be different doses for different kinds of nerophathy

https://www.practicalpainmanagement...on-opioids/gabapentin-dosing-neuropathic-pain
Gabapentin Dosing Considerations
Three gabapentin products are FDA approved to treat PHN. The different formulations cannot be interchanged and each has its own dosing schedule.

• For immediate-release gabapentin (Neurontin), dosing may be initiated with 300 mg on day 1, doubled on day 2 (300 mg twice a day), and tripled on day 3 (300 mg 3 times a day). The dose can then be titrated up as needed for pain relief to a maximum dose of 1,800 mg daily (divided into 3 daily doses). Clinical studies referenced in the package insert state that efficacy for a range of doses from 1,800 mg/day to 3,600 mg/day were observed; however, there was no additional benefit seen with doses greater than 1,800 mg/d.1
  • Gralise is an extended-release gabapentin formulation that also is FDA approved for PHN with a titration schedule that begins with 300 mg on day 1; 600 mg on day 2; 900 mg on days 3 to 6; 1,200 mg on days 7 to 10; 1,500 mg on days 11 to 14; and 1,800 mg on day 15 and thereafter.2
  • The third gabapentin formulation for PHN treatment is another extended-release product, Horizant. The starting dose is 600 mg in the morning for 3 days, increased to 600 mg twice daily on day 4 and thereafter. A daily dose of Horizant greater than 1,200 mg provided no additional benefit at the expense of side effects.3
Thank you.
I will stick to the one 3 times aday.
When I see/speak to my gp when I nearly run out of them, I can always see what he says

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
When I see/speak to my gp when I nearly run out of them, I can always see what he says

yes better than to risk to overdose ..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

Ally - Maybe when you next have the chance to speak to your CPN, you could mention the confusion over this.

Without doubt, it's best to err on the side of caution.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh I hadn,t thought of that
It may not be that but there may be a reason we dont know thats going on. We'll never know. They are human just like us. Sometimes our job isnt our first priority.
Whatever it is just try and get a decent relationship with your gp but if impossible, change them hun. You deserve better.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
So on day four and now taking two a day. The first 3 days, it has helped a bit, so am hoping by the time I start 3 aday on Tuesday, there will be a difference

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
It's a good job I am in a good mood.
I popped into my chemist earlier to pick up cold capsules, I was asked what meds I am on, the assistant got the pharmacist to double check I can take them with my other meds. She looked at meds I am on, mentioned how I was finding the 3 times 3 aday of Gabapentin. I mentioned I had spoken to the surgery about taking 9 aday and they had said it was supposed to be one 3 times aday. So 9 in total per day from today.
She asked if I could hang around while she popped into the surgery which is opposite the chemist.
Had to hang around for 20 minutes. The pharmacist spoke to my gp and he confirmed it was 3 tabs 3 times aday.
Yet again the surgery had given me the wrong information and that my gp was correct as he had written the 3 tabs 3 times aday. It's a good job it is not a med that is in portal that needs to keep me alive. So I will now need to either speak to my gp or if I can get an appointed by Thursday of next week so he can decide to keep me on it or change to some ting else

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Ally, you don't have much luck with your GP. But I do believe you are slowly winning, and that is all down to you. :)

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Oh Ally, you don't have much luck with your GP. But I do believe you are slowly winning, and that is all down to you. :)
For once my Gp was right when he gave me the prescription last week,
When I called the surgery about the 9 aday, it was the repeat prescriptions lady that said my Gp had got it wrong and to take one 3 times aday and not the 3 times 3 aday.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For once my Gp was right when he gave me the prescription last week,
When I called the surgery about the 9 aday, it was the repeat prescriptions lady that said my Gp had got it wrong and to take one 3 times aday and not the 3 times 3 aday.

All I can say Ally is it sounds like your pharmacist is a keeper too. She certainly made the effort to look after you.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My surgery has booked me to have a telephone consultation on Friday and said it needs to be after 1pm.
The surgery now know it's 3 tabs 3 times aday, so this will mean I finish all that was given to me Thursday of next week. That way I can tell my gp how I am on the 900mgs aday. If all is ok and gp can then organise for them to be put into my dosset box.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
All I can say Ally is it sounds like your pharmacist is a keeper too. She certainly made the effort to look after you.
I just noticed I had put 1 3 times aday. This was meant to say 3 times 3 aday.

Reactions: DCUKMod