Upset Stomach with Metformin

Pinnig

Hi,

I'm newly diagnosed type 2 and think it likely I'll be prescribed metformin. I also suffer from IBS.

I've read that it can cause stomach upset. I'm slightly worried that I might be wedded to the loo - again!

Can anyone offer advice on how it may have affected them and how long any upset lasts?

Thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi pinnig.

Every one of us is different where drugs are concerned. I never had any problems at all with Metformin as my GP increased the dosage gradually. Others have mega problems with it.

Here is a link to a search for Metformin on this site. There are over 3000 mentions. If you have the time take a look.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=metformin

Ken.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i was on metformin for a few mnths with insulin, i found i had a lot of trapped wind but never runs,i also have ibs :)

Pinnig

Ouch....trapped wind is sore. That's reassuring that it didn't cause the runs - that's what I fear the most. Thanks for your reply totsy

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Pinning,

I had tummy problems at first with Metformin, but I found a post on here that advised to take metformin in the middle of a meal, I did and guesss what ? no more tummy problems. Try it it may work for you too !
Bernie :wink:

whatashock

I have always had 'weird' bowl movements.

The first time I took metformin, the night was horriffic, but then no real problems since.

good luck.

Bloated

Hi I too am on Metformin and had few stomach problems in first few days of taking them, terrible cramps and feeling of sickness more than anything else - spoke to the nurse and she suggested taking them during or after meal rather than before and it seems to have worked for me.

timewarp

Hi

I too had a lot of problems with Metformin.

I came off them and have tried the slow release version and I get on a lot better.

Saw the Nurse today and I have to increase again so this may test the slow release version... :roll:

Met is not the be and end all so it is worth going back to report your issues there are other options...

Take care

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started Metformin back in February this year and started on a diet based on NHS advice i.e. lots of fruit, etc.

I was bothered by wind.

Eventually swapped on to low carb with lots of salad and veggies. No wind!

Success!

I take Metformin (Glusophage) 1000miligrames daily along with Diamicron, upset stomach is normal 4 me, lose bowels 2, stomach cramps tell me about it the pain can sometimes be unbearable, but for a while now things have been quite placid hardly any pain at all, great!! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Giblet

I took metformin, then metformin SR, but I gave up after 18 months because of terrible wind and diahorrea. Now on Amaryl & Actos.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was changed to Glucophage which is metformin in a slow release format I had been suffering badly from the runs and occasional bouts of sickness.I have been much better on the Glucophage except one evening when I didnt take the tablet with my evening meal so I took it later(about 3 hours) with a very small snack.I was sick at 3 o clock in the morning! Not fun. so I suggest you ask your GP for slow release and take in the middle of your meal.By the way Glucophage is more than 4 times more expensive than generic metformin thats why we are prescribed it first! CAROL

norfolknan

I refused to take Metformin to start with just changed my diet, and lost 2 stone in weight, however after 3 years I had to go on it. As I have a very delicate stomach my GP gave me the SR version. However, even this gave me violent liquid diarrhoea so I am now on Gliclazide, only half a 80mg tablet twice a day and have had no problems except I have to make sure that my BG does not fall too low.

RobinLondon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can completely suppress any adverse stomach reaction to Metformin by taking it with food; literally between mouthfuls. For me this seems to do the trick.

Sent from my brain v0.9

Reactions: 2 people

DaveMH

Grumbling stomach and diarrhoea for me with Metformin, doctor prescribes it but understands I do not take it except if I know I can make the sprint to a toilet...preferably my own!! Interesting that Metformin is supposed to help with insulin resistance and yet it has no effect on my levels whether I take it or not.......great for constipation! :mrgreen:

Dave

Kaizer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m just newly diagnosed 6 weeks I have been on metaformin, now 2 in morn and 2 in even, I have been feeling abs awful, terrible upset stomach and feeling very sick at times. I don’t want to give up, I will try taking them whilst eating. I was ok first couple weeks , now feeling awful, but was on lower dose initially.