Urgent - travel with 80 cartridges

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I somehow have accumulated for my travel 80 cartridges 3ml and bought Frio wallets a while back but realise this will only cover 50 of them.. (4 wallets)

Can someone please recommend a cool pack that can store these for upto 5 to 6 hours please??

I go away soon and left it a little late and found some more insulin in the fridge I didn't realise I had!

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steel thermos flask filled with cartridges and cold water. Also provides protection.
Hi Steve, how would that work, do I need to fill the flask with water and place certirdges in there? Are they waterproof?!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Steel thermos flask filled with cartridges and cold water. Also provides protection.

Would this not be confiscated at airport check-in? It might exceed liquid allowed in cabin - ok though if going by ferry or road.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi all I somehow have accumulated for my travel 80 cartridges 3ml and bought Frio wallets a while back but realise this will only cover 50 of them.. (4 wallets)

Can someone please recommend a cool pack that can store these for upto 5 to 6 hours please??

I go away soon and left it a little late and found some more insulin in the fridge I didn't realise I had!

An insulated lunch bag? Take the cartridges straight from the fridge and wrap them in bubble wrap as extra insulation.
A doctor fiend used to bring me insulin supplies to sub Saharan Africa in a polystyrene box and they travelled fine.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
An insulated lunch bag? Take the cartridges straight from the fridge and wrap them in bubble wrap as extra insulation.
A doctor fiend used to bring me insulin supplies to sub Saharan Africa in a polystyrene box and they travelled fine.

Argh - she wasn't a fiend, she was a good friend.

Reactions: Dodo

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Steve, how would that work, do I need to fill the flask with water and place certirdges in there? Are they waterproof?!
Cartridges are waterproof, yes. I did this when I went around Australia.

Would this not be confiscated at airport check-in? It might exceed liquid allowed in cabin - ok though if going by ferry or road.
As long as they are cold when they go in, you don't need to put water in until you're through customs.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a tiny cool bag. Mine was from Homebase, but I think a lot of cook shop type places do them as well.

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cartridges are waterproof, yes. I did this when I went around Australia.

As long as they are cold when they go in, you don't need to put water in until you're through customs.
Hi tim,

can you confirm how exactly you did this? should i wrap the cartridges in a seal bag first? do i need to add water to keep it cool or do you think it it'll be ok if the insulin is cool already and pop them straight in?

i cant see anywhere that confirms insulin cartridges are waterproof to re-assure myself lol
im considering the thermos 710ml which keeps things cool for 24 hours so should be perfect.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They're insulin-proof from the inside, @jackvdbuk , so they're definitely waterproof from the outside. I'd leave them in the blister packaging though, so that the rubber bit remains sterile.
:)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi tim,

can you confirm how exactly you did this? should i wrap the cartridges in a seal bag first? do i need to add water to keep it cool or do you think it it'll be ok if the insulin is cool already and pop them straight in?

i cant see anywhere that confirms insulin cartridges are waterproof to re-assure myself lol
im considering the thermos 710ml which keeps things cool for 24 hours so should be perfect.
I just took the blister packs out of the cardboard and slotted them into the thermos. I found I could get four packs in a 350ml thermos like this:

51WfVka3f7L._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: Snapsy

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buy 3 more Frias. I just heard about them here and bought one for a couple pens. Sound cool. Hopefully no airport security person will get bent out of shape because you have so many of them. My experience with TSA people here is that it takes about 3 of 'em to make a halfwit. I had some bozo find a Tootsie Roll Pop in my pocket at an airport. He had no idea what to do about it. "What's deese? Suckaaa? He said he's have to show it to his supervisor for an opinion. I said keep it and just kept walking. He probably called the freaking bomb squad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Before packing them, check they are all in date.
If you have "accumulated" so many, I would guess this is over a fair amount of time so some of the older ones may not be viable any more.