Using a blood glucose monitor when its cold

tstevens99

I use the TRUEresult twist for regular testing.
There is a problem when using it during cold weather. It gives error 'E-1'. This happens on new testing kits as well. I do a lot of cycling in winter, and need a testing kit that works when its under 10degreesC.
Does anyone have similar experiences?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm not sure any meter is any better than another when it comes to working at low temperatures, I would suggest you look at the Frio Bags although designed for keeping insulin cool it should also act as an insulator to keep your meter warm.
http://www.friouk.com/

Or perhaps look at some way of keeping your meter close to your body so your body heat keeps the meter warm :thumbup:

Edited: to change Frio web site to Frio UK :thumbup:

DaveNN

I went through a load of strips last week, due to me leaving my iBGStar in the car.
They took an age to warm up, with me resorting to leaving my strip pot open on a radiator for a while.
Bloody annoying and will keep them in my pocket from now one.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Accuchek aviva experts just as bad in low temperatures..

iHs

Unfortunately... all bg meters will most likely malfunction in very cold weather spells and the same is for very hot weather as well.

In icey cold weather temps - try to keep the meter close to the body if you can ( I use an Accu chek Combo bg meter which I keep under my jumper and as a backup I also have a small Accu chek Aviva Nano which is tiny enough to slide inside my bra. For the males to use - Little Hotties are excellent in keeping both meter and hands warm.... nothing is worse than having freezing cold hands and trying to prick your fingertip for a drop of blood that wont come because of the cold....

In hot weather best to keep bg meter away from direct heat or if need be get a Frio bag or put meter in a plastic bag and wrap a cold flannel around it to shield it from soaring temps..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sticking the meter under the arm for a minute before testing always works well for me in the cold weather, keeping the meter in an inside pocket if possible will also help.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh for the soaring temperatures iHS :thumbup:
CAROL