Vegetarian diet

New_Planet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nothing
I am a strict vegetarian and there seems to be little information about diets suitable for vegetarians.
I get very confused about the carbohydrate content. For example, if I have two slices of brown bread, an apple and a cup of tea for breakfast, how much carbohydrate am i taking in ?

What about almonds, are they free of carbohydrates ?

Reactions: Liam1955

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is a subforum on here that is specifically for vegetarians. As to the carb content it is printed on the label of your bread and probably very high. There are carb counters all over the internet for things like an apple that do not have a label. Just google carb counter. Almonds or any other nuts are not free of carbohydrates but are low.

Reactions: Freema and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@New_Planet - Hi and Welcome to the Forum :). Nuts like: Almonds, Pecans, Cashews, Walnuts are great for lowering and controlling blood sugars.
Go to the top of this page and click on the word FORUMS, now scroll down until you come to FOOD and NUTRITION - fourth one down from this heading is for Vegetarians, but take a look at some of the other diets to get some ideas. :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a strict vegetarian and there seems to be little information about diets suitable for vegetarians.
I get very confused about the carbohydrate content. For example, if I have two slices of brown bread, an apple and a cup of tea for breakfast, how much carbohydrate am i taking in ?

almonds are not free of carbs but have only a few carbs, brazil nuts have even less and macadamia nuts are almost without carbs, avocado is also a very fine choice... and eggs
but some/ most diabetics type 2 do have also to count their proteins and only eat like under 0.8 grams pro kg body weight

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hello. Here is a link to the vegetarian sub forum where you will be most welcome. It is a mixture of vegetarians and vegans. It is not specifically a low carb subforum as we all have different needs.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

As suggested above, read labels and use a blood glucose monitor to work out a way forward for yourself as everyone tolerates carbs differently. Good luck.

@Freema I don't think strict vegetarians eat eggs :)