vegetarian low-carb and newly diagnosed t2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, recently diagnosed t2 and although I am a retired nurse finding it quite hard to get my diet sorted. I have always loved carbs and find it really hard to reduce my daily intake.
Waiting to attend DESMOND but in meantime any tips for a struggling veggie?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Stir fries, which I'm sure you have already, its harder but doable. On Amazon there are some good low carb cook books. But google it first - lots of recipes for it. Make sure you get your B vitamins.
I was vegetarian when I was diagnosed, I think I lasted 9 mths more as a veggie but had to give up as my diet was limited.
But if you are a committed cook (I'm not) you can do it.
Test though, especially if you have pulses, I found I couldn't even eat those.

Reactions: lorraine95
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your suggestions. Was trying vegan diet when diagnosed but also anemic:-(
Have added eggs but can't eat meat. Been veggie for 30+ years

K

Kat100

Hi veggie all my life, t2 for one year, that's 50 years of no meat or fish, need b12 and iron....

I have reduced portions, miss my fruit, still use herbs and spices, just have reduced my portions, and increased my exercise, I take metformin.....not easy, but hope you find meals you enjoy Kat

Reactions: Hammer1964

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Hammer1964

csko

Hi, recently diagnosed t2 and although I am a retired nurse finding it quite hard to get my diet sorted. I have always loved carbs and find it really hard to reduce my daily intake.
Try increasing physical activity levels, and eating more low carb vegetables, including avocadoes, nuts (not cashews due to carbs), chia and hemp seeds to increase fats and protein. You can buy dehulled hemp seeds for sprinkling on salads, or making pesto. The ones with the hulls on are cheaper, and you can use them to make hemp milk (strain out the husks) which is great in soups. It's best to make your own hemp milk because the shop bought ones don't have much hemp in them! Reduce stress and make sure you get sufficient sleep too! Best wishes.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your suggestions. Was trying vegan diet when diagnosed but also anemic:-(
Have added eggs but can't eat meat. Been veggie for 30+ years

eat more fresh coconut and coconut oil... and tofu and nuts in general macadamia is really great as there is not much carb in.
one egg is around 7 grams of ideal protein .. a person of like 80 kg need arouns 65 grans of protein daily to repair and maintain body cells..like 0.8 gram pro kg body weight. I one is building muscle one need a little more... this is a point many vegetarians do not get enough of.. and it is really basically essential to keep body healthy

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish

Hi tallulahpoodle, I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago as T2, apparently (according to DN) I don't look the T2 type. 5ft, 81/2 stone. Also I am a veggie and have been for 40+ years. I don't eat meat, fish, seafood, shellfish or meat substitute but I do have dairy. I loved all the carbs like rice, pasta and potatoes, I have found I can tolerate sweet potatoes as long as it is around 50g. So what do I eat, well tonight before dinner my bg was 6.0 and I had 2 egg mushroom/pepper omelette with salad, pudding 2 dessert spoons of yogurt and 8 raspberries and 2 hours after dinner plus 1/2 hour walk my bg was 6.2 .
Other meals I eat are cheesy veg with sweet potatoes on top, stir fry with halloumi cheese, peppers, mushrooms and spinach stir fried then on a slice of puff pastry (50g) with tomato purée, mushrooms, spinach in Philly cheese/creme fraiche on cauliflower rice with broccoli, scrambled eggs on whole grain toast, make my own bean burger in a whole grain seeded roll, cheese & onion quiche made with whole grain or spelt flour. That is a weeks worth of dinners and I am still experimenting, I love growing and cooking my produce, I used to grow sacks of potatoes but not this year I have switched to beans and Swiss chard!
Let me know what you eat, I am always interested as I consider myself quite picky.

Reactions: lorraine95

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note that although interesting, this is actually a 3yr old thread that was revived. OP has not posted much since...

Hi tallulahpoodle, I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago as T2, apparently (according to DN) I don't look the T2 type. 5ft, 81/2 stone. Also I am a veggie and have been for 40+ years. I don't eat meat, fish, seafood, shellfish or meat substitute but I do have dairy. I loved all the carbs like rice, pasta and potatoes, I have found I can tolerate sweet potatoes as long as it is around 50g. So what do I eat, well tonight before dinner my bg was 6.0 and I had 2 egg mushroom/pepper omelette with salad, pudding 2 dessert spoons of yogurt and 8 raspberries and 2 hours after dinner plus 1/2 hour walk my bg was 6.2 .
Other meals I eat are cheesy veg with sweet potatoes on top, stir fry with halloumi cheese, peppers, mushrooms and spinach stir fried then on a slice of puff pastry (50g) with tomato purée, mushrooms, spinach in Philly cheese/creme fraiche on cauliflower rice with broccoli, scrambled eggs on whole grain toast, make my own bean burger in a whole grain seeded roll, cheese & onion quiche made with whole grain or spelt flour. That is a weeks worth of dinners and I am still experimenting, I love growing and cooking my produce, I used to grow sacks of potatoes but not this year I have switched to beans and Swiss chard!
Let me know what you eat, I am always interested as I consider myself quite picky.
Yes cut out root veggies and cut down on rice and pasta!!!

kizzie1b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You don't have to remove carbs completely but keep to just a few times a week and half the amount while you wait for Desmond.
At the end of the day you know consequences of eating sugar so be smart and eat well.
Diabetics can be managed so easy if you just tell yourself you can.
Be strong and find alternatives.
I stir fry a lot now, omelettes with veg, soups etc. No need to eat carbs on a daily basis there is so much other delishish things to explore and eat.
Change your mind set you can do it!!! Xxx Good luck and if you struggle let me know I can help x

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
I am on a low carb maintenance diet at the moment and after reading about the importance of fibre in the diet and looking back over my diary I realised I was on average only having half the suggested fibre intake so now my aim is to have 30g a day.