Very confused

Chequers

Hi all, I'm 53 and I'm just been diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I'm quite confused because initially I had a blood test where everything was fine, just the cholesterol was too high, and I was given tablet to reduce it.After 2 month I was tested for HA1C and it come out as 6.9, so my doctor told me I was definitively diabetic, prescribed 1 Metformin per day plus the tablets for the cholesterol, and said that I had to attend classes (first available will be november!) and come back in 2 months for more blood tests.
Now, what am I supposed to do in the meantime????? I started following a diet (from diabetes.co.uk) which is quite difficult because I'm italian and I used to eat quite a lot of pasta. I try to read more about diabetes but I got scared straight away because of organs failure, amputated limbs and so on.
I start to be quite depressed about it all and I don't know what to do and where to ask to...
I got a cold now and I don't dare take a paracetamol in case it interferes with my meds.
I feel so abandoned, I would appreciate any advice, thank you! :(

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sympathise with you. I was diagnosed on Friday and told to attend diabetic clinic on Tuesday (yesterday). I was put on metformin and something for high cholesterol and told to watch my diet. I have been referred for dietician and an education programme but in meantime don't really know what to do. I was refused a testing monitor as I am not injecting insulin. However, I ordered one from the internet last night as I feel I will have no way of knowing if I am doing it right unless I have a monitor.
I joined this forum this morning and got really good advice from daisy so I expect she will give you good advice and information. This website is really helpful and I am hooked. There is loads of information on it and help at hand. Also, able to ask questions that forgot or was too embarassed to ask at clinic.
From what I have learned so far, pasta is OK as long as its wholemeal.
I am lucky as my father is on insulin and he has been a great help to me. I just wish I had listened to him sooner.
I am sure you will get lots of replies and you don't need to feel alone. I think you can ask anything on this site and everyone seems to give good honest answers.

Chequers

Thank you so much! I started browsing this site and it's really helpful, I'm still very upset and trying to organize my life with my new condition, but at the moment I'm feeling really down :(

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Chequers and welcome to the forum :) I can understand how you feel as I was very depressed when I was diagnosed and refused to believe it for a while. Now I have completely got used to it, and am glad I got it as it brought me to this forum. The thing I dreaded most was the finger pricking, but after the first time I found it was no big deal and don't have any problems with it at all now.

You can still eat some pasta - I do - but in much smaller quantities than before and you will soon get used to it. (My husband is Swiss-Italian + English so it is often on the menu). We actually eat normal pasta. You need to test just before and 2 hours after eating, trying to get similar figures for both, then you will be able to work out how much you can have. I'm happy with a small quantity now. Putting it with something else fatty, like cheese, can be helpful too. The NHS recommendations of eating lots of starchy carbs is not a good diet to follow and you need to cut down on the carbs as much as you can. Being Italian I expect you appreciate a good glass of red wine and that has the tendency of lowering your levels so you can have a glass which will cheer you up. Obviously you have to watch your weight too though if you are having some problems there. I always have a glass of wine with my meal.

The risk of complications from diabetes can be reduced by getting good control of your levels. I think the diagnosis level for HbA1c (I could be wrong) is 6.5 so you need to try to get lower than that in due course.

Here is some information that we give to new members which I hope you will find interesting and useful. Ask as many questions as you like as there is always someone who will want to help you.

Coraggio!

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the answer is to take one day at a time. It's all very new to both of us and, to be honest, I don't think it has sunk in with me yet. I am still getting to grips with it all and still feeling very tired. Seem to be spending all my time either sleeping or on this website or thinking what can I eat now!! Just think positive and look for the silver lining-my silver lining is losing weight (I usually can't stick to diets but this time I have to!) Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi chequers
I think a lot of us felt the same way at diagnosis but try not to worry .The advice on here is very good and not too difficult to understand and you can always ask any questionsas has been said I would recomend getting a meter as soon as posible as this helps you to feel in control and to understand what your body is doing( as regards to DB anyway) :?
Most companies will send a free meter if you ask nicely :) Carens sent me one but I think accu chek do too and I find there lancets the easiest to use
CAROL

Chequers

Thank you so much guys for the warm welcome, it's a big relief knowing I'm not on my own!
You all are talking about checking your sugar level (?) my big frustation is that I have been given just the pills and nobody told me anything about what to do, I will be attending these lessons but they will take place in November, so I'm feeling lost here. Unless my doctor wants to decide in a couple of months when he told me to come back for another blood test?
I know I had to ask him but when he told me I was definitively diabetic I was so shocked that my brain went blank :cry:
What I'm doing now is taking my pills and be careful with my eating (I'm overweight too), do you think I can carry on like this for 2 more months or am I risking something?

Thank you all! e grazie Daisy!!!

WhitbyJet

Chequers - Oh no, poor you, this is going to be tricky, but listen you may be able to eat reduced portions of pasta, for this you need to test and see how it affects you.

There are lots of lovely Italian dishes that you still can have and they wont cause your blood sugar to spike, just thinking of antipasti and pollo alla cacciatora and so on, plenty of fish and peppers, courgettes, onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives, etc
Basically all meats, poultry,fish, eggs, cheese and cream are fine to eat, none of these foods raise your blood sugar.

I need to do very low carb as I am trying to keep my blood sugar at non-diabetic levels without the help of medicines. I had to learn to adapt, used to love Spagehtti Bolognese, now I make up the lovely rich sauce, the sugo, and instead of Spaghetti I use either carb free chinese noodles or shredded cabbage sauteed in butter. So the cabbage, the sugo on top and a generous sprinkle of parmesan is actually very nice.

But I am not even pretending that its easy at first, so do take things slowly, get your head round it all first. Try out pasta and testing, you might be able to eat it and no damage done, just smaller portions. Try out some of the alternative recipes, see what they taste like.
Pizza? Well as an Italian you are probably falling about laughing at the 'flans' that we call pizza over here, but you can really easily create a low carb pizza that is quite close to an Italian one, I have posted a recipe in here for it viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24131.
Some more lower carb Italian style meals here http://www.squidoo.com/lowcarbitalian.

You are still in a state of shock after being told the diagnosis, so dont panic, take it slowly, just reduce the carbs a little and increase the lower carb foods in your diet it doesnt have to be anything drastic. I would even recommend to you that you head straight off to a low carb diet, you might not need to do that anyway.

Have a look at http://www.glycemicindex.com/ add lots of healthy lower carb vegetables to your pasta to make it lower in GI.

I am only just learning about GI as I am trying to help someone newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and not keen to go very low carb. There are many members in here who manage their diabetes very well, so ask any questions you have.

You are in a good crowd here, people are ever so helpful, you are not alone with it, you will get plenty of support from the forum.

All the best

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Chequers said:
What I'm doing now is taking my pills and be careful with my eating (I'm overweight too), do you think I can carry on like this for 2 more months or am I risking something?

Firstly you're not risking anything. Your HbA1c score, while diabetic, is lower than many people here achieve with lots of trying. The NHS target is 6.5%, and some of the research suggests that you don't start risking complications until you go over 7% for a sustained period (although this is disputed and some us think you should aim for lower). So you are a diabetic, but not an out of control one.

You could easily get below 6.5% by cutting the carbs in your diet, taking your metformin and losing a bit of weight, and even probably get a lot lower (less that 5.5% is the same as a non-diabetic person).

All of this will be a lot easier if you invest in a meter and some strips so that you can see what effect different types of food have on your blood sugar.

The best thing is that, reducing your blood sugar will make you feel so much better, that you'll never want to return to your old habits.

Good luck fella.