Very Hard Stool

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
another important thig to know is when going low carb the body relases a lot of fluid that was before kept in the cells by the help of all the carbs, so when going lower carbs we do need to drink maybe a third more liquid daily..

and also be aware that when changing to low carb it also many times means changing to more non fabricated foods and therefor we do also in that way eat much less sodium/salt from our foods and we have to add a bit more salt to our foods then.. but that all depends in which way we choose to do our lower carbing style... it too little salt in our bodies we can also have problems with keeping enough water/liquid in our bodies ... but it can also be bad to eat too much sodium/ salt...

most people do need around 4 grams of salt daily, but most do actually eat more like 10 grams a day because there is so much salt/sodium in all the prefabricated foods we eat ... if we eat a lot of ham and other slted meat kinds we usually do not need to add salt /sodium at all to our meals untill we are hit by the summers heat waves

Reactions: ringi

dipsydo

I have a couple of teaspoons of milled flax seed a day( mixed with water or full fat yogurt) high fibre and much nicer than bran and less than one carb for a couple of spoonfuls and also omega 3 . Like others I find that it is important to drink plenty of water /fluid.

S

serenity648

Some people are against fibre in the LC community, others aren't. It's difficult to know what the truth is. I'm going to have to give psylium husk a go, even flax seeds aren't really enough.

This seems to me the biggest flaw in the LC diet. Foods rich in fibre, which seems essential to me, are also high in carbs.

The truth is: we are all different. There is no blanket way which works for all. Green veg are not high in carbs, and they have fibre. You dont need a lot of protein, fill up on above ground veg. And make sure you have enough water to drink. And healthy oils and fats too.

B

badcat

If I experience the same effects. I sometimes melt 90% dark chocolate with coconut oil and some erythritol then reset it into chocolate bars - its has a nice loosening effect and tastes delicious

B

badcat

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Surely it's full of sugar?

Nope - take a look at the nutrition ingredients on line. Once of the low carb joys of life is a square or two of 90% Lindt.

About your original question, more roughage and more water plus (if necessary) psyllium husk works wonders.

ghost_whistler

I had assumed chocolate would be offlimits altogether, I didn't look into it because it seemed counter productive. If you want to eat clean, why go back to the stuff that causes problems. I used to eat a couple chocolate bars a day! That was a habit I had to break.

I kinda feel the same about vegetarians and fake meat - if you're going to eat veg, eat veg, not pretend food :D

Interesting thanks

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been experiencing some very difficult bowel movements.

When I ate more fibre, as was part of my old diet, this wasn't an issue - for all the ills associated with wheat and the like.

Some people are against fibre in the LC community, others aren't. It's difficult to know what the truth is. I'm going to have to give psylium husk a go, even flax seeds aren't really enough.

This seems to me the biggest flaw in the LC diet. Foods rich in fibre, which seems essential to me, are also high in carbs.

Other than that it's more expensive supplementation. That can't be sustainable.
This is why I'm not minding metformin for tramadol constipation too.
I get those white torpedoes to work in my favour.
I take it your on diet only control of your diabetes?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Water can make a huge difference. Works brilliant for the kids.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In the past I've used sugar free candy rocks but I don't recommend it. It can go the opposite way, far too easily.

Tummy rub can help too!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I kinda feel the same about vegetarians and fake meat - if you're going to eat veg, eat veg, not pretend food :D

Your statement assumes that people do not eat meat because they do not like the taste or texture. I do not have a problem with taste and texture, but don't eat meat for reasons of animal cruelty and exploitation.

B

badcat

I had assumed chocolate would be offlimits altogether, I didn't look into it because it seemed counter productive. If you want to eat clean, why go back to the stuff that causes problems. I used to eat a couple chocolate bars a day! That was a habit I had to break.

Interesting thanks
100% dark chocolate is the purest chocolate you can get and thererore very much compatible with clean eating - stuff like mars bars etc are full of **** and about as dirty as it gets.Milk chocolate / low % dark chocolate has added sugar and milk sugar which makes it higher carb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It think it is important to distinguish between 'clean eating' and ways of eating chosen for other reasons (low cal, low carb, high protein, etc. etc.)

No one would automatically assume that Low Cal is 'clean', so I don't think we should assume that Low Carb is either.

Of course they can both be 'clean', but there is no obligation.

A lot of LC advocates (e.g. DietDoctor) encourage people to eat non-processed, but not everyone goes that way. We can be very low carb and heavily processed, if we choose...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Interesting thanks

I think the way everyone follows their chosen way of eating is up to them and not for others to comment on.

I follow a very low carb way of eating and build in a few carbs for Lindt 90% chocolate* to add interest. Adding interest to any way of eating is important as it prevents boredom which, I think, is the most common reason that diets or ways of eating fail. I've just completed two weeks of a meat only Zero Carb diet and it was incredibly boring - it worked, of course - but isn't something I want to take full time any longer purely because of the boredom.

* There are 14g of carbs in 100g of Lindt 90% - and, as it is so rich, I only have 20g at a time - which is just 2.8g/carbs out of my 20g a day target.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is why I'm not minding metformin for tramadol constipation too.
I get those white torpedoes to work in my favour.
I take it your on diet only control of your diabetes?

Ghost_Whistler doesn't have a diabetes diagnosis

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I
I think the way everyone follows their chosen way of eating is up to them and not for others to comment on.

I follow a very low carb way of eating and build in a few carbs for Lindt 90% chocolate* to add interest. Adding interest to any way of eating is important as it prevents boredom which, I think, is the most common reason that diets or ways of eating fail. I've just completed two weeks of a meat only Zero Carb diet and it was incredibly boring - it worked, of course - but isn't something I want to take full time any longer purely because of the boredom.

* There are 14g of carbs in 100g of Lindt 90% - and, as it is so rich, I only have 20g at a time - which is just 2.8g/carbs out of my 20g a day target.
I love 90% dark lindt too. So versatile.
Not had any lately thou. I know bariatric surgery won't be able to suffer it, it will give dumping syndrome. :(