Very Hard Stool

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a lot of problems with hard stools. I found out it is was codeine in painkillers that was the problem. Tramadol was also a problem.

i

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i brought some psylium, what is the best way to take it and are there any side effects?

I can't help with these, but I take milled (ground) flaxseed. It has loads of fibre but I don't take it for that' I take it for the omega 3 and the very beneficial effects it has on cholesterol. I sprinkle it on many foods rather like we do with salt and pepper.

Try psylium by all means, but also consider just about everyone's advice about increasing fluids, in particular water.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You can use psyllium husk in baking or mix a teaspoon of it in as full glass of water and drink quickly then drink another glass of water straight after.

I prefer it in https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-garlic-bread - but do drink plenty of water withnit.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd love to try some ofthese bread recipes but the cost of almond flour or coconut flour is huge!

I get coconut flour from eBay - and a little goes a long way. I get almond flour (ground almonds) from Asda who often do special offers on it. Also you will need to adjust the recipes for the amount you want to eat. The first time I made those garlic breads I followed the recipe as given not realising that it was for ten portions. Mr Chook loves these garlic breads so I (or he) make the quantity for five portions but made in to three individual mini baguettes. It hits the garlic bread spot - also nice with melted mozzarella on.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meant to add - if I see ground almonds on a special offer I buy loads of it and freeze it. It freezes very well and you can use it straight from the freezer.

Hotpepper20000

I find that anything baked with almond flour and /or coconut flour is filling. So it may be expensive up front but it goes long way.

B

badcat

Im glad im not the only one with a mountain of ground almonds - it was on a 3 for 2 offer at Tescos the other week so I bought 21 200g packets! I dont freeze it tho just keep it in a dark place

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would recommend freezing anything with oils - I freeze coffee beans as well as nuts - but I did used to work for Allied Lyons doing storage testing so I know that my sense of taste is pretty acute.
The 90 percent Lindt chocolate is very good - Lidl 81 percent is not bad either.
I found that psyllium husk tends to stick to the sides of the glass, so when I used it I added it to the mayonnaise I put on my salads.
These days I am eating Greek style yoghurt, also from Lidl and put desiccated coconut in it, so don't need to worry about anything else. I leave the mixture for a few minutes as eating it at once can be a bit severe, and the flavour develops when it is left to mellow.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I heard dairy is counter productive for constipation.

How much psylium per day is advisable?

What do the instructions on the psylium husk packaging recommend as a daily dosage?

Reactions: azure and Chook

ghost_whistler

They don't say daily, just 3-6g at a time with lots of water.

That's only going to give a few g fibre.

There also seems to be a lot of conjecture as to whether fibre is even healthy when it comes to low carb. I find this kind of confusion rather problematic. I even found a link saying that fibrous vegetables cause constipation.

So many confusing claims, all citing seemingly credible sources

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then take 3-6g with lots of water, and wait and see what happens.

You may find that your body needs a bit more, or a bit less, but you can work it out from the effects.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Somebody recommended sugar-free sweets. You can buy them either at the Chemist or local supermarket..You can get the butterscotch flavor, fruit flavor etc..Suck on 3 of those.They act as a laxative. Do not make the same mistake as I though. I had 5 through out the day. I went to the loo 4 times after that lol..I only keep them handy if ever I get constipated which nowadays is rare. Sprouts and Cauliflower seem to help and plenty as others say dark greens.Believe me, the sweets will work

ghost_whistler

Then take 3-6g with lots of water, and wait and see what happens.

You may find that your body needs a bit more, or a bit less, but you can work it out from the effects.
I tried that, but haven't noticed anything so far. I'm hesitant to overdo it and it may well take days to kick in. I've no idea

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried that, but haven't noticed anything so far. I'm hesitant to overdo it and it may well take days to kick in. I've no idea

It can take a few days. Start cautiously, continue that for a few days (maybe 3 or so) and then reassess if more is needed.

B

badcat

Somebody recommended sugar-free sweets. You can buy them either at the Chemist or local supermarket..You can get the butterscotch flavor, fruit flavor etc..Suck on 3 of those.They act as a laxative. Do not make the same mistake as I though. I had 5 through out the day. I went to the loo 4 times after that lol..I only keep them handy if ever I get constipated which nowadays is rare. Sprouts and Cauliflower seem to help and plenty as others say dark greens.Believe me, the sweets will work

Beaware - the sula ones epike my blood sugar and the butterscirch ones are so nice its hard to stop at 1 or 2 - explosively bad on many fronts so I avoid them

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Beaware - the sula ones epike my blood sugar and the butterscirch ones are so nice its hard to stop at 1 or 2 - explosively bad on many fronts so I avoid them
Oh that is a shame. I tested my blood and they had no effect. Best you do not have them then. I only take them as a last resort