very high blood sugar readings after eating

sade

Hi all. I'm 31 male and my dad is a type 2. I started this thread before: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25865

My latest readings just under an hour after eating was 12.3,12.7 and 12.3 again. 10 minutes later it was 11.9 and two hours after it stayed at 12.0 on two readings. Then it started dropping down a while after to 10.5, then 9.3 two and half after meal and now three afters the meal it's at 8.6.. My meal was chips, curry sauce and a sausage from the chip shop. It wasn't a huge meal at all. These are in the diabetic range. This is the first time that i've had readings this high. My fasting glucose this morning was 4.9.

The doctors always refuse to do any further tests on me. My numbers have been only getting this high tonight. How could I become diabetic overnight?

The other day my fasting glucose was 5.2 and then 5-10 ten minutes later I drank 75 grams of pure glucose powder mixed with water and my readings were: 10.6 and 10.3 - 30 mins drinking the glucose. 1 after the drink it was 9.7, 11.3 and 9.9. I thought the 11.3 reading was error because I took the last three readings one after another and 2 hours after the readings were 5.8, 5.9,3.8,3.6.

I don't understand. The glucose test wasn't too bad; below 11.1 half hour and one hour after. And after two hours the readings were well under 7.8 but after that meal I had today they stayed in the 12's two hours after and well above 7.8 even three hours after that meal. It was quite a small meal.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
According to the results of your DIY GTT then you're not diabetic. It sounds like your GP has come to the same conclusion.

Everyone's BG spikes after eating carbs (even non-diabetics). I don't know for sure (as most non-diabetics don't test themselves obsessively), but I doubt that a single spike after a high-carb meal means that you have suddenly become non-diabetic. If you're that worried, try eating a few less chips covered in sugary chip shop curry sauce.

Why are you testing your blood anyway? Do you have any symptoms or are you just wishing that you could join our cool and exclusive club?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would concur with borofergie non diabetics regularly have high blood glucose levels after a high carb meal, I remember someone posting a graph of non diabetic levels throughout the day some years ago and it transpired that many non diabetics will spend around 45 minutes a day over 11 mmol/L, its all about how fast you return to pre meal levels :D

Caleb Murdock

Well, if he's not diabetic, what is happening? Non-diabetics rarely have any readings above 8.0. Clearly, something is going on.