Victoza (Liraglutide)

luv2sly

Dislikes
Anti-social people
Is anyone else on this or been on it ?

How long was it before you found you was feeling fuller longer ? as this diabetes medication slows down the stomach contents being emptied.

I'm on 1.2mg daily with 1g of Metformin

In October I see my consultant and he's already said if the Victoza hasn't helped then he'll be looking at starting me on Insulin.

Is there any brand of Insulin that is better for Type 2 Diabetics ?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Toby.
I am using Victoza and found certainly within a month was only eating snack sized portions.
I have diverticulitis bowel disease so am restricted to tollerate certain foods only.
I was started on victoza pre-insulin then when was settled on victoza, insulin was gradually added...
With insulin brands as you have asked , I was guided by my consultants experience and his choice
for me initially was 'levemir' insulin.
Sadly I didnt tollerate this well so 5 months later I went onto hypurin porcine animal insulin.
Been on this ever since as it agrees with me and lowers my BG levels using LESS units than the levemir.
It can be an individual thing as to what would suit yourself.
I suggest you read up on all the various insulins there are, and discuss this with your consultant and
diabetes care team.
This is what I did to reach the agreement to switch from levemir [human insulin] to hypurin porcine [animal insulin]
We are all individual what may suit one person - wont suit all person's ...
Hope this helps youToby - any other questions just ask :)
Anna.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Toby.

I'm not sure if it's different for type1s who are on Victoza, like me, but my appetite decreased straight away and the effect of feeling full more quickly/fuller for longer was the same day as I started taking the Victoza too... that said, I also have pretty severe side effects where some people have none at all, so maybe I'm not the best person to be comparing to.

Anyhow, there is a thread dedicated to Victoza here in the medication section. The thread itself is a few years old but the latter pages are much more recent so there may be some helpful info for you on there.

Good luck!!