Video games. Hypos.

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been playing video games on my PS4 and seem to be having hypos too. I don't know exactly if the games are causing my hypos, it doesn't make sense as it's not very physical. Every website I have found are saying the opposite, that blood sugar would go up because of stress. I don't feel stressed while playing the games. I also had a snack during playing it today and it still went down 2 hours later. I'm also not very active due to neuropathy pains.

I am going to ask the diabetic nurse to see what she says, but I would like some other people's opinions about the matter.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's been a few situations where I got so damned engrossed in a game that I just didn't notice that I was slipping into a hypo.

Still, the pressure of war, when there's five snipers trying ta take ya out, man's gotta find his carbs where he can! Maybe get on to Rockstar and start getting them to hide real easter eggs around the place.

There's so many reasons for hypos, and they can be so unpredictable, I don't think it's really anything to do with gaming as such, other than maybe just, as above, getting so tied up in it, easy to miss the onset.

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do get carried away in games sometimes, especially as I wasn't able to play them for 6 months. I was playing for a few hours today but I had my lunch in the middle and a snack just to make sure I would be OK for another hour or 2, turns out I still went low.

That sounds like a good idea, actual Easter eggs rather than you've found a UFO hovering over a mountain lol

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Probably just a random bolus or carb miscalc or other T1 randomness which would have happened whatever you were doing.

I spent ages trying to find that fricking UFO! Just realised that those character switch scenes where you switch to Trevor and he's staggering around wasted looks kinda like some of the hypos I've had in the past - maybe they should show them as an educational tool on DAFNE courses: "Now, people, here's what happens if you don't follow our rules."

Diabetes8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it would be too do with gaming per se. I can't really tell you why you are experiencing hypos when you are playing PS4 because there could be various reasons, but I can give you possible reasons. For example maybe your basal needs to be reduced, in which case you would need to contact your diabetic nurse for advice. Or perhaps you're giving yourself insulin for food you are planning to eat while gaming but you forget? You also mentioned missing the onset of a hypo. Do you mean you are experiencing hypo unawareness?All in all I think you should mention this to your diabetes team and they will be able to give you advice on how to manage this further

Last edited:
M

ME_Valentijn

I have been playing video games on my PS4 and seem to be having hypos too. I don't know exactly if the games are causing my hypos, it doesn't make sense as it's not very physical.
The brain uses a lot of energy.

Reactions: mist
M

mist

As a veteran of the gaming world :D I don't think your hypos have anything to do with gaming. I've had marathon five hour Battlefield sessions and not experienced any, it would be most inconvenient while trying to line up a sweet headshot and being hit with a hypo instead of an enemy bullet! :joyful:

Check your levels before you play, I aways have a snack next to me as I play too.

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been playing video games on my PS4 and seem to be having hypos too. I don't know exactly if the games are causing my hypos, it doesn't make sense as it's not very physical. Every website I have found are saying the opposite, that blood sugar would go up because of stress. I don't feel stressed while playing the games. I also had a snack during playing it today and it still went down 2 hours later. I'm also not very active due to neuropathy pains.

I am going to ask the diabetic nurse to see what she says, but I would like some other people's opinions about the matter.
Hi there it can only be to much insulin