Vinegar

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
There have been many threads covering this over the last 6 years Ive been a member here, vinegar can useful when shaken on chips as it reduces the effect that potato will otherwise have on bg levels, whether it slows down digestion or causes some other effect in the body I have no idea, but it works :)

Another good idea is to include some low GI carbs with higher GI carbs as the overall GI is reduced so the meal becomes medium GI even though some of the food stuff may have been high GI and otherwise avoided.

Anyone who doesnt know what GI is or means should do some research on google.

There used to be lots of good usable tips like always adding vinegar to chips on this forum now the only advice seems to be to avoid all potatoes altogether which will certainly work but for many is not the long term answer.

Its a great shame that many of the old experienced members no longer post here.

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
There have been many threads covering this over the last 6 years Ive been a member here, vinegar can useful when shaken on chips as it reduces the effect that potato will otherwise have on bg levels, whether it slows down digestion or causes some other effect in the body I have no idea, but it works :)

Another good idea is to include some low GI carbs with higher GI carbs as the overall GI is reduced so the meal becomes medium GI even though some of the food stuff may have been high GI and otherwise avoided.

Anyone who doesnt know what GI is or means should do some research on google.

There used to be lots of good usable tips like always adding vinegar to chips on this forum now the only advice seems to be to avoid all potatoes altogether which will certainly work but for many is not the long term answer.

Its a great shame that many of the old experienced members no longer post here.
I agree, Sid, that if a person finds they can eat potatoes without it causing major issues then they should enjoy them guilt-free. Some people may need and want to go to extremes, while others can do just fine with moderation. We are all different.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been many threads covering this over the last 6 years ...

Before starting a new thread, I did a fair search of the website and nothing came up referring to vinegar except as a word in the various word game threads! So apologies for repetition, but I did try to avoid it!

Anyone have personal experience with this - with measurable, noticeable effects?

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Given the research findings about vinegar (lowering blood glucose), should I be building this into my diet? This came to mind yesterday as I was munching pickles with lunch-time cheese yesterday - not my normal lunch. I'm T2 on a low carb diet, and fairly new to all this.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/11/2814.full
Hi Jennifer
I have been taking vinegar as part of an arthritis dist for some years so I'm interested to hear more about it's possible benefits for diabetes.
Twice a day I drink a tablespoonful apple cider vinegar with the mother and unpasteurised. I have it in a cup. Shake the vinegar tomix the mother. Put in 1tbsp of the vinegar in the cup, a splash of cold water then add the boiled water about 3\4 to a full cup. I also add some xylotol as a sweetener and drink it down. I take it as a cleanser. Its a pleasant drink. Ostlers make the nicest. Its important to have unpasteurised to have the beneficial bacteria present.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I have been taking vinegar as part of an arthritis dist for some years

After working in a wholefood shop as well as spending a chunk of my life as a vegetarian, I was very aware of how many people who follow those sorts of diets use cider vinegar, but apart from lots on salads, I've never really tried to make it a feature of my diet. The research in that link that I posted comes up with some relatively recent research on its relevance for diabetics, and I came across it because I thought there had been something recently reported on this website (which I then couldn't find).

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vinegar softens dental enamel so my dentist is dead set against that idea. I just make my own salad dressing with organic cider vinegar. I am toying with the idea of vinegar capsules if I can find them.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of integrating more vinegar into my 'normal' diet - not taking it in neat doses. I was eating pickled gherkins when I remembered seeing some sort of report about vinegar and diabetes - and pickles are not something I'd eat on a day-to-day basis, but could see myself doing so with a bit of effort. I could do with the research repeated with doses of pickled onions (or the suchlike)!