Violent black-outs post-lows?

Vannie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else gt sort of delusional when they're low? It's a big problem for me; in the middle of class, I've started shouting that the zombie apocalypse is happening outside, and everyone's going to die. I've had panic attacks because no one listened. I turned out to be 20.

I also tend to become not only delusional, but violent. My mother has woken me up to eat because I was low, and I've fought her. Not even shoving her away, It was like I was fighting for my life. She ends up just pinning me down, having my father force feed me. I've given her black eyes and felt so bad when I came to my senses.
I've also found that I tend to think some sort of freaky things. Once, I thought the apocalypse was happening, and I was somehow special enough to be on the run with the Queen.
The strangest yet was when I had a near seizure low. I swear, I thought I was kidnapped. I fell asleep on the couch trying to cram for finals, and my mother was already asleep and couldn't wake me and send me to my room. I woke up to my cousins, who had spent the night, trying to get me to eat. One was crying, begging me to just drink the juice. Her brother was restraining me, and I later found out I had slapped her, and having a bit of a struggle. My mother was pacing, on the phone shouting at the operator because the paramedics hadn't arrived after five minutes. I was screamed, telling them they couldn't get away with this. In my mind, I didn't know these people. Two people were trying to sedate me, the lady on the phone was talking to her boss, and I was being kidnapped in a slave trade. The paramedics showed up and I tried to fight them. Granted, I'm five foot seven and can fight half decently, but these five big burly guys sort of put my skills to shame by strapping me to the thing they use to roll people around [I can't remember the name for the life of me, a bed on wheels, I guess]..After a moment, I came to and they took me in anyway, to make sure I didn't have brain damage.

Do note that I'm not a violent person. I hate it when people even argue, and the only times people have tried to fight me, I curled up and cried. I don't have built up rage, and I love my family, my mother especially, and I hate learning that I hurt her. My doctors say it's normal; I only do it after being extremely low; I wake up in a strange position, with people trying to feed me when I don't even know what it is. But I'm violent before I'm even awake, and I don't even know people I've known my entire life. They might not find it alarming, but I do.

Has this happened to anyone else, and thoughts on avoiding it? It's happened many times, more than I've even listen, and more than I can remember. Just knowing I'm not alone helps.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Vannie,
I'll bump your post up for some replies from Type1s
It must be very upsetting for you and I hope that people will offer you some suggestions as to how to avoid these hypos. They will probably want more information from you with regard to your management.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not alone! This happens, there's been recently a long thread around here about stuff people do when do. Some where simply funny, but some where just like yours. When you go low, your brain releases adrenaline to fight it and that adrenaline can cause all kinds of violent behaviour.

How's your hypo awareness? You should wake up before going dangerously low. Some people find that running your bg higher than normal cam give you your awareness back.

Vannie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It used to be pretty good, but now it feels like whenever my A1C get's lower, by awareness is tossed to the wind. I sleep like a rock as it is. But it is interesting to learn about the adrenaline thing; my doctors never mentioned it to me.

Stephen89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Again Alot Of Things
Ive been through violent, blackout stages myself.. friends and family involved, attacking people.. one time in sports direct I threw all the trainers about with 3 staff holding me down and when I came to had no idea what happened, I too was told this is "normal" as to this day ive no idea how this happened to me but I can say since insulin dose was adjusted ive had normal hypos although I sweat bucket loads ha. But I prefer this to blackouts..