vit b12 deficiency - Pernicious anemia

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Hi, is there anyone who's got vit B12 deficiency and if so, what symptoms do you have that cant also be mistaken for diabetes? Also known as Pernicious anemia

MadMat

I have PA, was diagnosed about 4 years ago, and been on B12 jabs ever since :(

The symptoms I had before diagnosis were extreme tiredness, lethargy and being extremely irritable! I actually walked out of my job at the time because it go so bad I just couldn't cope!

My Dr initially diagnosed depression and tried to put me on happy pills, it was only when I insisted he check further that blood tests were done and the B12 deficiency picked up!

Mat

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I have PA, diagnosed towards the end of last year.

To be truthful, I had absolutely no idea I had it, just put my tiredness down to running higher sugar levels. It was picked up in a random blood test and I was given the initial course of jabs every 3 days for a fortnight, I have to go soon for my 3 month injection.

I am going to do my grouch act now and say that I wish I had never gone for that bloomin blood test. My diabetes was picked up on a random test, the same with the PA..wonder what they are going to spring on me next.
Everyone was telling me "oh, you'll feel so much better" and "oh, you wait and see how perky you feel"..pfft. :thumbdown:
The jab gave me a lump on my arm, I came down with a stomach virus almost immediately after the first one and I felt lousy.

Perky?? I felt absolutley fine until they got their mitts on me! Rant Over 8)

AndyHX

Hi Mistee71

I was diagnosed about 3 years ago with B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia).

The symptoms I had were extreme tiredness, palpitations and a really sore mouth and tongue. The most severe being a painful mouth and gums.

It took about 2 years before it was diagnosed, I thought I was losing my marbles. I saw my Doctor who said I should see my Dentist, when I saw the Dentist he said I should see my Doctor. This went on for 2 years until I couldn't take any more. In the end it was neither of them who picked up on it. I was having routine bloods taken for diabetes etc and mentioned it to the DSN who said it sounded like I was anemic.

The symptoms mostly cleared up after the loading injections (1 every 3 days for 3 weeks I think it was) - I am finding when the next injection is due the symptoms start again but not as severe. I have mentioned this to my Doctor who said it's unusual to need the injection more than ever 3 months.

Regards

Andy

MadMat

AndyHX said:
Hi Mistee71

The symptoms mostly cleared up after the loading injections (1 every 3 days for 3 weeks I think it was) - I am finding when the next injection is due the symptoms start again but not as severe. I have mentioned this to my Doctor who said it's unusual to need the injection more than ever 3 months.

Regards

Andy

If you read the PA society's forums (http://www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org/) you'll find that the only reason it's unusual to get the injection more than every three months because Doctors seem to be very reluctant to prescribe it more often.

I managed to persuade my Dr to let me have a jab every 8 weeks, which improved things no end! I no longer get that fortnight of feeling rubbish before the next jab!

When you consider that B12 deficiency can have some very serious long term complications, and that the injection is simply a water soluble vitamin, I know I'd rather take the risk of too many injections rather than too few!

Mat

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
For about 3 years i have had an extremely sore tongue. Now gone pale and have lost my taste on sweet things. It has deep cracks from tip to half way back. I have seen 3 doctors and my dentist. Nobody knows what it could be and no one suggested doing any tests either. It can even be painful just drinking water. I have little bumps come up in my mouth. I have spent so long suching for answer coz its been so painful. I have now come across the b12 thing and think it might fit. Both my aunt and uncle had it and had to have the injections. Another thing with me as well is short term memory loss. It gets that bad it often causes rows in my family.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Just bumping this up again. I have suddenly realised something which hadn't occured to me before.

Before my diabetes diagnosis, I didn't have any extra thirst or anything like that but I felt incredibly tired all the time and physically lethargic. After diagnosis (and until today) I assumed that was symptoms due to the diabetes, now I'm wondering if these symptoms were down to the Anaemia all the time!

For the past few days, I have felt really terrible. Fuzzy, achy headed, breathless on any exertion at all and so lethargic it is an effort to move. I went for a walk today because I thought the fresh air would help and I had to keep stopping as I felt so weak, heart kep pounding too.
I am unable to test at present (thanks for the generosity Lambeth PCT) but am fairly sure my bg's aren't running amok, my PA injection is due on Monday.

Do these symptoms really sound like they could be caused by the anaemia? I'm starting to think my body hates me :(

Have also realised that this is on the type 1 forum-sorry for gatecrashing peeps.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Mistee, have you tried looking up oral lichen planus? I have that. It appeared at the same time as I was diagnosed Type 2, when I was under severe stress as a result of my 24th house move.

I don't know whether it can affect your tongue, but my symptoms were/are, linear thread-like things across the inside of my cheeks and little clusters of clear blisters, a bit like mouth ulcers. I still get a few of these, but they're not very painful now - they were very sore to begin with.

I believe it's an auto-immune condition, and unfortunately not really treatable, but there are some foods that trigger it -almonds, tomatoes, cheese in my case, but not so badly now that I can't eat them.

It may not be that at all, but it's worth looking up. I think many doctors aren't used to seeing it, therefore don't look for it, but mine got it straight away. At least you could discuss it, even if only to eliminate it.

Viv 8)

MadMat

ladybird64 said:
For the past few days, I have felt really terrible. Fuzzy, achy headed, breathless on any exertion at all and so lethargic it is an effort to move. I went for a walk today because I thought the fresh air would help and I had to keep stopping as I felt so weak, heart kep pounding too.
I am unable to test at present (thanks for the generosity Lambeth PCT) but am fairly sure my bg's aren't running amok, my PA injection is due on Monday.

Do these symptoms really sound like they could be caused by the anaemia? I'm starting to think my body hates me :(

Have also realised that this is on the type 1 forum-sorry for gatecrashing peeps.

That describes exactly how I used to feel in the week or two before my injection was due. And was the reason I asked to have the jab every 8 weeks instead of every 12.

Mat