vitamin b12

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried Vit B 12 for neureopathy symptoms. Im desperate to get some relief at night , but not too desperate to waste money on something that doesnt work.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the market for some B12 myself. I've been taking Vit D (4,800IU daily) and have seen great results (not necessarily in my BG, but my mood is much better) so now I'm also looking into Vit C (Ascorbic Acid), and some of the Vit Bs (Vit B1 and B12)

Doses are the difficult thing with Vits... The RDA's are usually woefully short of any level that you will see any efects at. I've been taking 4800IU of Vit D - but I've seen recomendations for as little as 500IU, and as much as 50,000IU (Yes - 50,000IU!).

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch,

I'm taking 1000iu daily and I'm starting to think it's making a positive difference to my health. What made you decide on the dose you are taking?

I got a huge tub of D3 from Canada in August this year for far less than is possible in this country.

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Buy it in any pharmacy. This one happened to be in a supermarket. Over 500 tabs for about 9 dollars. I keep meaning to find out if my mate in Canada can send me a pot or six without incurring the wrath or a large bill from customs.

wiflib

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I really can't remember where I read that 5,000IU (ish...) was a good amount. I read up a lot about maximum doses, and it was interesting that 50,000IU is STILL not a toxic dose.

I bought mine online. Even with postage added, it was a bargain...

iHs

wiflib said:
Patch,

I'm taking 1000iu daily and I'm starting to think it's making a positive difference to my health. What made you decide on the dose you are taking?

I got a huge tub of D3 from Canada in August this year for far less than is possible in this country.

wiflib

Like many people on this forum I also decided to buy some D3 (1000iu) capsules. I haven't taken hardly any of them as yet as thought it would be best to get a blood test done first just to see if I was lacking. I will find out in about 2 weeks time when I see a consultant.

Can I ask you what improvement to your health you have noticed through taking D3?

iHs

carty said:
Has anyone tried Vit B 12 for neureopathy symptoms. Im desperate to get some relief at night , but not too desperate to waste money on something that doesnt work.

I haven't taken B12 for neuropathy but do take a fizzy Vit B complex (includes vit C) plus 100mg of Vit B1 every day. I haven't got neuropathy as yet but definately don't want it either.

I would say that Vit B1 (thiamine) definately helps with retinopathy for sure although a general 'tightening up' of blood sugar levels improves retinopathy and neuropathy.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
iHs - it's a sample size of one so not statistically significant but since the immediate improvements after dropping the carbs, reflux gone, plantar pain improved, mad cravings gone amongst other things, I've noticed improvements in things I didn't even know could be improved after starting the vit D.
I've always been a good sleeper but the quality is now much better. I wake up easier and feel fresher. I've yet to succumb to any bug or viral inducing nasty, despite being exposed to everything and anything at work, including the H1N1 virus and my mood is on a more level path. I've usually had at least a rotten cold by now. I'm also more inclined to want to do things. Does that make any sense? I now seek opportunity to walk, even if I've had a long day, whereas a few months ago standing up for 10 minutes was a bit of a chore! Motivated, that's what I am.

wiflib

iHs

Cheers

I'll start taking it then. Maybe there's a lot more benefit to taking D3 than we realise :)

bronte

I am not sure about B12 all I can say that alpha lipoic acid and evening primrose oil with vitamin B complex seems to help me. Bernstein also indicates the positive of alpha lipoic acid.
Best wishes
Helen

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Catherine. I read on internet that Metformin can effect uptake of VitB12 and lack of B12can cause symptoms of pins and needles same as neuropathy .Does anyone know anything about this? Carol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Carol

I think I can help you.

I have been type 1 25 years and have low B12, previously having B12 injections (but that is another story).

Anyhow....

Yes, B12 can help neuropathy and there has been a lot of research around this, and I can definitely confirm this.

You cannot overdose on B12, as it is a water soluble vitamin, and you do not get it from any vegetables...only grains and cereals. Any excess is wee'ed out of your body.

I used to have injections on a 3 monthly basis, but this is under review with GP at moment. I also used to take Jarrows B12-Methyl 5000 mcg tablets. I used to take 2 everyday 4 weeks after my injections as I found without them I would get chronic pins and needles, confusion and forgetfulness etc. The tablets actually state I think 1 every 3-4 days. If you take extra B12 it is advisable to look at the qty of folate acid that is in your diet, as the two vitamins work hand in hand. I also supplement with a cheap tesco folic acid daily tablet. B12 does not work efficiently without folate. When looking at anaemia GP's will always check B12 and folate levels. Folate is a lot easier to get in your diet. This goes for men and women. Most people think that extra folate is only necessary for women wanting babies, but that is a myth. Yes, they do need it, but so do people that take supplements and B12 injections.

The tablets aren't available in shops, only over the net. I get mine from bigvits.co.uk.

For those persons that need B12 these tablets are the most effective, the qtys that come in multi vitamins are neglible for those that find they need B12 and will not be enough to help neuropathy.

B12 makes an enormous difference to my life, without extra injection and supplements I feel like **** with lower leg problems and brain problems. I have even had an intravenous infusion of B12, magnesium, folate and Vitamin C from a Doctor in Bridgend. It added so much extra to my life and how I was feeling. The Dr was very good with vitamins and minerals and also suggested that I take chromium for my diabetes and buy some epsom salts to make sure I get enough magnesium in my life. I do both now.

Hope this helps
Sharon

metallurgy

Hi,

Metformin can cause Vitamin B12 deficiency, especially the slow or modified release variety is the culprit. If the tests for pernicious anemia, the usual cause for this deficiency, show that you are not producing intrinsic antibodies and you are taking Metformin then Metformin is usually the culprit.

Most GPs are not aware of this side affect and take some time to diagnose this problem. Mine only accepted it when I showed him the leaflet from the box showing that a Vitamin B12 deficiency, although rarish can happen.

Depending on the severity of the deficiency you will be either offered tablets or injections. The injections are started with 5 in short succession and then are topped up quarterly.

Usually, if you stop taking Metformin the symptoms will go away and the tablets or injections can stop but this needs to be done under medical supervision.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
and you do not get it from any vegetables...only grains and cereals.

I thought that you could get Vit B12 from many things in your diet. Not just Cereals and grains ?
You should be able to get all the vitamin B12 you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. But if you decide to take vitamin B12 supplements it's a good idea not to take too much because this might be harmful.

Adults need approximately 0.0015 mg a day. If you eat meat, fish or dairy foods then you should be able to get enough vitamin B12 from your diet.

Taking 2 mg or less of vitamin B12 supplements a day is unlikely to cause any harm according to the FSA.

Here is a massive list from an American website which lists dietary sources of Vit B12.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/D ... 20w418.pdf

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that ,there doesnt seem to be an upper limit problem but obviously common sense wpuld be good! Good sources of B12 are lean meats especially beef liver (you wouldnt want to O.D on this! ) ,poultry fish beans eggs nuts milk and milk products fortified breakfast cereals.Hope this helps others concerned about neuropathy Next question... What blood test would show levels of B12 do we have to ask for it from GP?

Lizzie7

Hi guys,

I have a slight B12 deficiency (should be between 200 - 900 ng/l blood and mine was 193). Was prescribed B12 shots by the GP.

Some people don't have something called 'intrinsic factor' or have developed antibodies to this and cannot absorb B12 from food or supplements - hence the injections. There is also a link between metformin use and a lack of intrinsic factor for B12.

B12 is only found in animal products (e.g. meat and dairy) - no B12 in grains, vegetables etc.

I had symptoms of neuropathy - burning/tingling feet - but after two of a course of six B12 injections this disappeared.

Low levels of B12 can cause anaemia and inflammation - although it takes a while for symptoms to develop and high folate levels can mask the symptoms of anaemia.

I've been pretty much vegan since childhood so it's not surprising I became B12 deficient!

x

Lizzie7

P.S Cuglia - on the list you posted only meat and dairy sources (and some fortified cereals etc) contain B12.

Some long term vegetarians and most vegans end up short of B12 - particularly if they avoid breakfast cereals/soya milk fortified with vitamins.

There's more info here: http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html