Type 1 Vitrectomy Anxieties

JessicaCM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have end stage diabetic retinopathy in both eyes from years of uncontrolled diabetes. I've had laser and injections in them both multiple times, but my consultant is now talking about me having a vitrectomy in my left eye (my right, for the time being, is stable).

I was just after opinions from people who have had a vitrectomy, and how their vision has been after the surgery and what to expect, eg. What is it like post op? The recovery time? How have peoples vision been after the op?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Jkoko56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had a vitrectomy about 15 years ago. I needed it to clear floating blood vessels after a lot of laser treatment. The treatment was painless although a bit odd as I was aware of the blood vessels being 'hoovered up' . I think I may have taken the following day off work but no longer. The operation removed some of the rubbish blocking my vision and my eye has remained clear. Like you my other eye was stable and remains so.
I do understand your concerns. I think eyes are a part of our body we all feel very sensitive about. Try not to worry, for me it was genuinely not that bad!

Reactions: sarahm723