Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Please find below a version of the Atkins Induction diet that I simplified to send to my brother. That version was for weight loss; I've modified it a bit for diabetes.

It works for me; when I was on it before (2004/05) I lost 50lb in the first 6 months, 5.5 stone in 18 months, and I have never felt better. I was also doing about 25 miles weekly walking the Irish Wolfhound exercise machine. Then the dog died :cry: , I started eating carbs again, and now I'm back where I started. My doctor monitored me carefully throughout; my blood pressure dropped to 120/75, and though my total cholesterol would have been considered high for a diabetic at 5.4, my total:HDL ratio was 3.3, and my triglycerides were 0.65. All that is now to do again, plus managing the diabetes, but the first 2 stone is off already and the blood glucose levels are nicely down. Only 6 more stone to go! :)

WARNING!
This is a high-fat, low-carb diet and is not suitable for everyone. Some people can't eat fat for medical reasons, other people simply can't tolerate it, so think about it carefully.

Basic low-carb diet

Golden Rules: eat at least 3 times a day, more if you want. DON'T over-eat. Snacking is fine, but stick to protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs). Make sure you eat fat - it's essential to make the diet work.

Drink at least 2 litres of water every day. Tap water is fine.

Read all food labels.

OKAY

all fresh meat types - lamb, beef, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, goose, venison and other game;

all fish; oily fish is particularly good, eg tuna, mackerel, salmon. Tinned is okay. Shellfish too, except oysters; smoked is okay (check the labels).

processed meat, eg sausage, burgers, ham, bacon, corned beef etc, but check for carb content on the label (eg no breadcrumbed ham, or honey roast ham);sausage and burger with maximum meat content and minimum carbohydrate; smoked and processed meats are okay but read the labels for nasty chemicals;

butter, olive oil etc

eggs

dairy - use very little milk (contains some carbohydrate) but butter, cream and hard cheese (up to 4oz daily) are okay. Also live unsweetened yoghurt;

salad veg, eg all lettuce types, toms, peppers, cucumber, radishes - a total of 8oz salad per day

other veg - all green leafy veg, asparagus, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, courgettes, aubergines, fennel, leeks, onions, green beans - a total of 8oz per day. Some of these contain higher amounts of carbs (eg tomatoes, leeks & onions, which contain some sugar) but are okay in moderate quantities (so don't eat a whole tin of tomatoes with your sausages!).

Avocado once a week, if liked. Very good for you. Also a handful of olives occasionally. Not stuffed!

Salad dressings, chutneys etc as long as minimum carb - read the labels.
Mayonnaise is fine - I use Hellman's. NB not low-fat.

Rhubarb is okay! Sweeten stewed rhubarb with dissolved Splenda tablets and eat with cream or live natural yoghurt. Don't eat every day, and don't go mad!

Sweetener - I use Splenda, tablets in drinks; dissolve them for other things. The granulated contains maltodextrin which affects blood glucose. Other sweeteners are available, of course.

With curry or casserole, use cauliflower instead of rice or potatoes. Very good!

AVOID

All starchy vegetables eg potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip, sweetcorn, beans, peas, broad beans; all dried pulses. This list is not comprehensive!

No sugar – does that need saying?

Anything that contains flour - bread, cakes, biscuits, cream crackers, pastry, sauces (eg cheese) and thick gravies. No pasta, rice or cereals except for occasional All-bran, eaten with very little milk. Oat bran (obtainable from health food shops) can be used as a thickener, also sprinkled on things (eg inside an omelette with the filling, or with stewed rhubarb) to aid against constipation. The rhubarb will help there too.

(Fibre eg bran isn't absorbed by the gut, so doesn't count as carbohydrate)

Tea and coffee – some recommend avoiding caffeine. Best to use in moderation.
Drink 2 litres of water daily. Herbal teas are okay.

Avoid all highly processed foods eg margarines, and anything that is full of nasty chemicals.

Some ready meals are okay but read the labels. A good rule of thumb is, avoid anything with more than 5 grams of carb per 100 grams, and eat only very occasionally.

NO alcohol is best. It can slow down weight loss because your body can use it for fuel. It can contain carbs, so check

Be very suspicious of anything called 'diet' or ‘lite’ - it's probably stuffed full of carbs.

I never have either headaches or bad breath, which some people complain of. If you get a headache at the beginning, don't worry - it will go off. Drink plenty of water because you'll shed a lot of water at the beginning of the diet.

I didn't know about rhubarb when I first started this diet, but it certainly helps if you get constipated. Also bran. Also live yoghurt. Add flax seeds if necessary - they help too. Available at health food shops - also called linseed. If you’re on Metformin as well you shouldn’t have a problem.

You may want to take a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet, but there's really no need.

The whole point of this diet is to eat enough fat and protein. You don't have to think about calories, just carbohydrates. You can eat as much of the allowed foods as you want, unless limits are given, but don't over-eat. Eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed.

It's basically a low-glycaemic index diet, eating fresh and unprocessed foods, with plenty of fat.

Eating from this food list, in the given quantities, will give you about 25 grams of carbohydrate per day. It’s then easy, with the help of one of the carb-counter books, to add on carbs up to the quantity you require. Different vegetables, for instance, the lower-carb fruits, or nuts as snacks.

desertbear42

Re: Viv's Diet

I followed that regime and lost 17kgs in 4 months. It works; it is hard work and requires total dedication but the results produced stand as excellent testimony that this diet does work.

Reactions: 7 people

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

It does work.....no doubt about that !

I followed a very similar regime but with a few exceptions, the main one being I didn't eat high fat.....I reduced them for medical reasons.

The diet still worked though. I lost over 5 ½ stone (35 kgs) in about 9 months....... :D It's still off although I now can tolerate more carbs.

Reactions: 13 people

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I forgot to say that as you add more carbs you should reduce your fat intake. Atkins does say that. You sort-of balance it - a little more carb, a little less fat, as you get up around the 70-100g of carb mark per day. If you start putting weight on (which I do at about 80g) you're eating too much carb for you.

V

Reactions: 5 people

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Hi, Elsie

For the basic version, I'm afraid not. 40g of All-bran has 7.6g of 'net carbs' (ie, not counting the fibre). 30g of Bran Flakes has approx 16g of net carbs, which is too high for the basic version of the diet, and would be too high for my (Type 2) BG levels at breakfast.

I only use the All-bran in extreme situations (this diet can constipate you!). My brother wanted it in because he gets up at 5am and couldn't cope with cooking a breakfast then - or cold meat and cheese. He's not diabetic.

On the other hand, if your system can cope with cereal and you're going for (say) 50g or more of carb daily, I suppose you could eat Bran Flakes. Better, though, to get your extra carbs from fresh veg.

Reading cereal packets is a fascinating way of passing 10 minutes in the supermarket. :wink:

V

Elsie1964

V
many thanks for your reply.
I'm Type 2 and whilst I'm controlling my sugar levels ok I'm struggling to shift some weight. I've read many things about low carb diets so thought I would give it a try and your post has put things in a simple clear way...thanks for that.
I think my biggest problem will be breakfasts, do you have any suggestions for a quick breakfast for a busy working mum.
L :D

Reactions: 2 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Scrambled Eggs.
Omelette.

Both can be done pretty quickly, even in the microwave if washing up is an issue. :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Breakfasts are a problem, particularly in winter when you're longing for some hot toast!

I normally eat a two-egg omelette cooked with butter; sometimes I make a cheese one, sometimes I have it with mushrooms or bacon. However, I'm not a busy Mum, so I have more time than you! If you give the children boiled eggs, you could have a couple with a low-carb crispbread or oatcake - read the labels for the carb content and try to get as low as you can, 5g or less.

One way round it is to have hard-boiled eggs in, and cold meat and cheese, and have a combination of those. Maybe a hard-boiled egg and some chunks of cheese, some cherry tomatoes and radishes and slices of red pepper, all prepared the night before ready for eating. It does take some getting used to, but you get to like it, and you can just grab a bit of the plate every time you pass. You can take the same sort of thing to work for snacks and/or lunch. No need ever to feel hungry.

When I first did Atkins I used to have salmon, tuna or chicken salad for breakfast, which is actually delicious.

Another way is to cook an extra portion of whatever you had for your previous evening meal, and eat that cold for breakfast.

If you can manage to give the basic diet a try for a fortnight, thinking of breakfast as fuel and sticking to the allowed foods, you should have such good weight loss that it will keep you on course. The first time I did it I lost 14lb in two weeks. As with all diets, a lot of that was fluid, and I did have a lot to lose, but it was a real encouragement.

You will have much more temptation than I do - there's only me, so I simply don't have anything in the house that I'm not allowed to eat. You can't do that, with a family. It's a good idea to encourage them to help you - tell them what you're allowed to eat. Or better still, what you're not allowed, and get them to police you.

Good luck! It will get easier as the weather gets better.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Here in the UK we use TOTAL carbs when reading labels NOT net carbs. If you use net carbs then you are seriously underestimating the number of carbs you are consuming.......... We don't use the US system here.

Kellogs All Bran..........48g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 40g portion is 19.2g carbs.
Kellogs Bran Flakes......67g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 30g portion is 20.1g carbs.

So if you are tempted to try ANY foods.....always use TOTAL carbs. Saves some heartache and high Bg levels later.

Reactions: 11 people

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Hi Ken

I totally agree that following one system is best and leads to less confusion, and I'll stick to UK figures in future; but now you've confused me (not difficult at the moment!). Does that mean that fibre does affect blood glucose levels? @cos if so, there's a sentence in my original post that should be removed immediately, about fibre and blood glucose, in the "Avoid" section.

V

Reactions: 3 people

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

As Atkins uses US values it gets confusing.

In the UK the TOTAL carbs are the carbs with the fibre already subtracted.

In the US their total carbs has the fibre in that amount, it is their NET carbs that is without the fibre.

Therefore, if you subtracted the fibre again from UK TOTAL you would have underestimated the carbs in the product.

As a UK site, talking about UK packaging, this is what we use.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Thanks, Sue, you've made that very clear. I hadn't realised that.

I've learned something! :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

From health.learninginfo.org:

One hundred grams of raw lentils contains around 350 calories, 60 grams of carbohydrates (31 grams of which is dietary fiber), 26 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat. One hundred grams of lentils also contain 67% of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for thiamin and 60% of the RDA for iron.

So it's a judgement call, and would depend on the serving size. Personally, I'd avoid 'em.

pms543

I hear you Patch....

Sometimes like to add a small handful to the odd soup / curry to thicken plus they are full of protein... Still, am open to change!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

For weight-loss, I'd avoid 'em. Once you've lost weight and are trying to find your maintenance level (the amount of carbs you can eat without putting on weight) you can try introducing them at small levels to see how they effect you.

anniep

Patch said:
From health.learninginfo.org:

One hundred grams of raw lentils contains around 350 calories, 60 grams of carbohydrates (31 grams of which is dietary fiber), 26 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat. One hundred grams of lentils also contain 67% of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for thiamin and 60% of the RDA for iron.

So it's a judgement call, and would depend on the serving size. Personally, I'd avoid 'em.

I avoid the starchy carbs like the plague but find a reasonable portion of pulses is fine.

It's one of the test and see things I think

wobblyme

Dislikes
Offal (hate it) rudeness, inpolite people

Am learning all the time, this has been a very interesting read and a good basis...I'm not eating completely carb free but significantly reduced my carb intake...I try to eat carb free for breakfast and lunch (if not comletely free, very low)...I then allow some carbs for my evening meal...Just about at the end of my second week...Lost 4lb last week, got everything crossed that I lose again tomorrow when I weigh myself!

wobblyme :)

pms543

Viv, I love to follow actual plans...

Can you give an example of an actual daily food plan you have followed?

Obviously, we are all different and me being Coeliac too, I will adapt to suit me but I find following a plan helps me stay in tune with it..
I appreciate your help. Thanks