1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Waiting at doctor's surgeries

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by helensaramay, Oct 27, 2017.

1. woodywhippet61

woodywhippet61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have had them every time I see the DN. I forget to check the 2nd one so I must be one of the statistics.

2. Gannet

Gannet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a 30+ minute wait for the nurse the other day. When I finally got in the poor nurse was really apologetic. She'd had to give a baby 4 inoculations. The child had been crying inconsolably, the mother was also upset and the nurse had to give them time to calm down. I felt more sorry for the nurse than for myself.

3. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I always tell myself that one day I will be the one who absolutely needs to take up more time with the doctor than an appointment time allows for, and I am therefore very comfortable to wait if someone else before me has needed extra time. With this thought in my head every time I see the doctor/nurse/dentist/consultant/optician, it's much, much easier to harness some patience when delays have cropped up, making all subsequent (including mine) appointments late.

I am fortunate to be able to be very flexible with my time. If I weren't self-employed and so very local to the doctor, or had bigger family commitments, for instance, I would sometimes I'm sure find it difficult. But as things stand, when I'm having to wait, I count my blessings that it's not me who's been so poorly to have needed more time with the doctor than allocated.

I've recently booked an appointment for one of those regular ladies' *coughs* thingies. I asked if I could also have an appointment with the phlebotomist while I'm there, as I'm due a thyroid follow-up.
    'Yes, Mrs S - 8.40.'
    'But that's the time I'm having the other thing.'
    'Yes, we'll see who gets to you first. If they're both ready for you at 8.40 they can fight over you!'

That was my biggest laugh of the day that day!

:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I remember once when I waited over an hour for my appointment and hold my hands up and had a good old moan about it. Since then, I had one appointment where I was in with my gp for 25 minutes. Now I have a silent grumble to myself but am more understanding that previous patients can have a major illness/issue to sort out

5. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My GP is always at least 10 minutes late with his appointments. I don't mind. as said in the posts above , someone has probably needed a longer appointment.
    I did have a slight annoyance last week though. I had a letter from the practice asking me to make an appointment to see my GP in reference to my recent hospital treatment. OK, I assumed he was following up on my chemo and radiotherapy.
    He was 15 minutes late .. no problem. I finally get in and he asks what he can do for me.. I reply that it was him that wanted to see me. Ten minutes of clicking on his computer and he had no idea why I was there! Yes there were lots of letters from the hospital but all seemed ok. He did apologise and said that one of the other GP's must have sent the letter requesting me to come in. Rather disconcerting :(

6. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had to wait 2 hours for an ophthalmologist appt which, due to an emergency, had been delayed however a couple of weeks later I held the other patients up because, due to complications with my Uvietis, my 10 min appt took over an hour.

7. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't like waiting, but I do as you mentioned and book morning appointments so there's less of a delay. I try to get the very first one if possible! Unfortunately I'm also one of the people who tends to take ages in appointments :/

At my last dentist appointment, I had to wait about 45 min. During that time my blood sugar dropped and so I had to eat some lollies, totally negating the benefits of the thorough brushing I had given my teeth before I left home. Luckily the hygienist and dentist were understanding, and were pleased that I had good control of my diabetes, but I felt so ridiculous sitting at the dentist eating sweets.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had an appointment with my GP in America, Dr. K., three days ago.

It started on time. It was supposed to be just a 10-minute regular T2 followup, and we did do that. But I've also been having some strange symptoms recently (nothing to do with diabetes, we think). I'd rather not describe them here.

Dr. K. ordered various tests, did his own analysis of my urine in a little vessel on his desk, spent a long time looking through my computerized medical records. He examined me. Then he sent me upstairs for the phlebotomy and another urine collection and asked me to come back to him (he's never done that before).

When I went back to his office Dr. K. examined me again. I won't go into detail, but he did the usual prodding around and this time, he managed to elicit a little "yelp" of pain from me.

Dr. K. still wasn't satisfied. "Your symptoms make no sense. I can rule out various things -- bad things -- because you've had these recent CAT scans and MRIs [for something unrelated], and a routine colonoscopy, and they are all clear. You have symptom A, and also symptom B, and they are not usually connected with each other."

He said he was very puzzled. He seemed quite concerned and said he would get back in touch with me as soon as the tests come back (I am still waiting; I can access the computer records online and can see the lab hasn't finished).

I feel fine, by the way, apart from these odd symptoms that I would prefer not to describe.

Total time for the appointment: 45 minutes. I screwed up my doctor's schedule for the whole of the rest of the day!

9. midnightrider

midnightrider Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Appointments are given out each morning at my GP surgery (the only one in my area). You have to ring at 8am when the lines are open. The lines are busy until about 830, though of course instead of an engaged tone you connect to the surgery to be told the lines are busy in a recorded message so the call is paid for. Hitting redial over and over in the hope of getting through brings the same result. Then about 830 you get through to be told that there are no appointments and try again the following day. I have known this to happen for a week until I lose my temper. I do think that they would rather that you just gave up.
    Emergency appointments are available at the end of the day with an average 2 hour wait, you must be there by 5pm but will not be seen until surgery is over at 630 at the very earliest.
    Last time it took 58 calls over a 4 day period to get an appointment ( I checked on my phone bill). When I used to be travelling to work at 8am, there was no possibility of ever getting an appointment unless I left early then sat and waited for a couple of hours.
    It wouldn't be acceptable in a business where you had a chance to go elsewhere if not happy - utter contempt for paying customers. I just want to book an appointment on one phone call, if they are very busy and I don't get one for a week that is fine for a non emergency, but hate having to call over and over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I have a really bad experience with banks where if you have to cash a check or have some information you have to wait a long queue and only one clerk is serving you, on the other hand if you go for a scam err, financial service you'll get plenty of clerks with longer hours compared to cash service. Yesterday I have gone to a LIDL, when I found that there were only one cash open ad 30 people already in queue I dumped the groceries and exited.

I am not sure about it. I've had bad experience with private health and fantastic ones with public services, like arriving for an x-ray in a waiting room finding nobody here and having just the time to wonder if I was in the correc room when the nurse called me with the Tannoy. Was a bit eerie, especially because the '70s style of the furniture, and woodgriain doors, that remembered more a "the Professionals" set than a surgery. And of course the horn Tannoy.

I suppose that there is a problem somewhere. But for my current GP for instance is people that is not following the rules and arrives without an appointment in appontmet time instead to wait for the end of the booked period, entering without being called and startin to fuss when the GP says to wait after the people with the booking.

#30 MikeTurin, Nov 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook