Waitrose coffee shop madness

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excuse me - he'a a top Endocrinologist who didn't say it would make me fat or clog up my arteries. There may be another reason and i will ask him when I see him at the end of April.

He's very aware of the LCHF diet and he also advocates lowering carbohydrates to lower blood sugar. Everyone knows it's the liver that produces about 80-.90 percent cholesterol and little comes from food intake. Even then there's strong opinion that high cholesterol does not lead to strokes, heart disease and that it's actually good for the body.
OK, point taken and I'd be interested to know his thinking on fat. As you may know so many in the NHS etc are still giving out the 'don't eat saturated fats' mantra and assume that's how the arteries get clogged that I just assumed his reasoning. He appears to be good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it me? I'm really confused. I was diagnosed in October last year and was told to go with the low fat options and reduced sugars all the way. I'm having so many different things told to me. Been on a diabetic education program and told to follow a balanced diet. No food is off limits, carry on eating carbs, now everywhere I go, I seem to be told and reading the opposite, what do other people follow. I'm confused. Sorry to anyone if this sounds daft!

Sadly the NHS follows the guidelines recommended by NICE, and NICE continues to advise that the Eatwell Plate is good for everyone (that is low fat, low salt, high carbs, fruit etc.) and it sounds like you were told to follow this on your course and by your nurse/doctor. This is what they call a balanced diet. It may well be fine for non-diabetics, but doesn't suit diabetics because of the high carb elements. The NHS also says Type 2 is progressive and down the line insulin is almost inevitable, with more and more drugs in the meantime. This is a bit like taking medication to cover what you are eating, rather than eating to avoid medication.

Take your advice from fellow diabetics on this forum. We have all been in your shoes and have learnt as we go along that carbs cause raised blood sugars. Cutting carbs is the way to go. How much fat you eat is down to you, but you do have to make sure you are eating enough fats to replace the energy you lose from cutting carbs. This is normally through eating the real thing, not processed low fat products (which mostly contain extra sugar to counteract the awful taste)

Reactions: welovedzig

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, point taken and I'd be interested to know his thinking on fat. As you may know so many in the NHS etc are still giving out the 'don't eat saturated fats' mantra and assume that's how the arteries get clogged that I just assumed his reasoning. He appears to be good.
Fats are okay but there is another thread here currently where someone has been on the LCHF diet and although their blood sugar has come down, their cholesterol has gone up to around 7.0. The advice there by certain members is to avoid saturated fat ..... Other kinds are fine.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That is of course if cholesterol is a major concern, some on here don't think it is.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes agreed John. Many believe cholesterol is not the evil it's portrayed. Your body actually needs it!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
True, some on here to actively drive their cholesterol up.
That's a different choice to many of us, that prefer to keep cholesterol within the NHS guidelines.

After all, surely if the body needs it, and makes what it needs, I see little point trying to force it up, I don't eat saturated fat, and my body finds it's own level quite happily.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True, some on here to actively drive their cholesterol up.
That's a different choice to many of us, that prefer to keep cholesterol within the NHS guidelines.

After all, surely if the body needs it, and makes what it needs, I see little point trying to force it up, I don't eat saturated fat, and my body finds it's own level quite happily.

Douglas, I would be interested to know who actively drives their cholesterol up. That's not as a "name and shame" exercise, because every one of us decides how we manage our lives, including diabetes.

I do know plenty who are content to not have a low total cholesterol, but "...actively drive their cholesterol up...." means something else in my world.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas, I would be interested to know who actively drives their cholesterol up. That's not as a "name and shame" exercise, because every one of us decides how we manage our lives, including diabetes.

I do know plenty who are content to not have a low total cholesterol, but "...actively drive their cholesterol up...." means something else in my world.

You'll have to read many of the fans of Kendrick, who believe high cholesterol is healthy, and eat to maintain a higher score, and actively advocate a higher target than the NHS guidelines.
Like you said, it's not a name and shame, as it's a lifestyle choice.

C

chris lowe

And forget these! Appalling coffee and "foreign" Try Pret. The coffee is organic and at Christmas they do offer cream in your coffee and chocolate it it's that which "floats your boat:!
Costa are owned by Whitbread which is a UK company.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

You'll have to read many of the fans of Kendrick, who believe high cholesterol is healthy, and eat to maintain a higher score, and actively advocate a higher target than the NHS guidelines.
I have seen people here saying they are not worried about being higher that their doc recommends, but I have not seen anyone actively trying to raise their cholesterol.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can't eat to maintain a "higher score" because what you eat has a minimal effect on your cholesterol levels. Yes even yours although you maintain otherwise.
You can take drugs to reduce it if you believe that is beneficial.
In women especially, higher cholesterol levels are more related to lower all cause mortality than lower levels of cholesterol. But the same also appears to be true in males.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think I can confidently say I have never read anyone driving their cholesterol up. Perhaps next it happens you could give me a nudge in the person's direction.

Whilst many, including myself are unconcerned about the NHS standard cholesterol levels, that's quite a different matter.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Costa are owned by Whitbread which is a UK company.
Thanks Chris and it originally was an Italian one. Their cappuccino isn't bad but not as good as Pret;s. One coffee I hate is from Caffe Nero which too is a UK company despite its name!

Last edited:
S

serenity648

I thought we couldnt deliberately raise our cholesterol, as our bodies regulate the level more or less? Perhaps some people have naturally higher levels, so their level raises to its normal level when they stop statins?

confused again. There seem to be many websites saying what we eat raises our cholesterol, so I must have misunderstood the connection.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Even the great low fat guru Ancel Keys stated emphatically that dietary cholesterol had no affect on plasma cholesterol.

S

serenity648

So we can make our cholesterol go down - by taking statins, but not raise its natural level?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Interesting, so every one has a naturally different normal level, and all those with a natural low level will most likely die early, as there is no possible way to raise it?
Or else everyone has a natural high level, completely unaffected by food, and everyone who isn't high has to be on statins?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think I can confidently say I have never read anyone driving their cholesterol up. Perhaps next it happens you could give me a nudge in the person's direction.

Whilst many, including myself are unconcerned about the NHS standard cholesterol levels, that's quite a different matter.

If you're confident, I doubt it'll happen then
I must be mistaken, see my previous post I guess.