Want to start exercise but worried

MarcTurner83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I want to start exercise again and get back into training but I'm worried about the impacts it could have to my BG which deters me from getting back into it as I worry about having a hypo midway through or high BG afterwards.

Any hints or tips?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A510F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

D

Deleted Account

I do a lot of exercise ... sometime I hypo and sometimes my BG rises depending on the exercise and how fit I am.
If I was starting, I would start low intensity and build it up. Test regularly (CGM and/Libre are limited use for me during exercise because my hypos come on quickly so the 20 minute lag is 20 minutes of hypo).
If you realise your exercise is causing your BG to drop fast, try adding a couple of drops (and a just mean drops) of squash to your water bottle to maintain your onboard sugar. Always keep hypo treatment close to hand.
Some people/websites recommend eating with a reduced bolus beforehand. Worthwhile trialling but this just meant a raised BG for me.
Bear in mind, exercise is personal: it affects everyone differently, difficult for one person is east for another, long for one person is short for another. But in general
- long term high intensity will reduce BG
- short term high intensity will increase BG
- cardio will reduce BG
- resistance training will increase BG

My final advice is "don't be afraid, go for it". If that means taking a buddy with you or starting running in the relative safety of a gym rather than out on the roads, take the safe option until you know how it affects you.

Reactions: MarcTurner83

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Exercise as a diabetic is good, but you need to be full on with bgl testing. Remember you burn up extra glucose during active periods - so test frequently, ensure you are well hydrated and have a backup glucose source with you. Activity may raise you glucose levels for a while, and then drop them rapidly. I do a lot of walking, but I go nowhere without glucose tablets and meter. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: MarcTurner83

MarcTurner83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant advice thanks everyone. I used to box so will be high intensity from the off but in the safety of a gym so I will give it a go and see which option my body choses. I hear a sip of lucazade (other brands are available) is good to top you up??

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I want to start exercise again and get back into training but I'm worried about the impacts it could have to my BG which deters me from getting back into it as I worry about having a hypo midway through or high BG afterwards.

Any hints or tips?

Thanks

I am not type 1, but would it be a good idea to do the same amount of exercise each time and then tirade up the amount of carbs you are eating like 1 hour before exercising. to be really high right before exercising ?.. so you know excectly what you are doing before... and then also have some carbs to eat midways but only if nessesary... ?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MarcTurner83 . First off I would strongly suggest that you never let diabetes stop you from doing anything. Respect its power but never fear it. It thrives on negativity and seeds of doubt.
27 yrs T1 and a constant workout " nutter " . Never boxed but have done HIIT, weight training, endurance training lots of rowing and anything else that's took my fancy.
Ultimately you will have to test , record and make rational decisions as to what different exercise regimes have an affect on you.
Brief examples. Heavy weights ( sets of 5/6 ) sugars rise and continue to rise for around an hour or so, level off and then drop considerably upto 6 hrs later. I know this and adjust accordingly.
Cardio workout/ HIIT. Sugars start to drop as soon as I stop workout, also have to make sure sugars are slightly high before commencement of workout.
27 yrs experience is useful, unfortunately my friend you will have to see how your body reacts.
Keep a form of drinkable glucose on hand, maybe tell gym staff of your condition and how to help you and have some sort of medical information on yourself. ( dog tag necklace and tattoo for me )