Wanting to exercise more.

michelle1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm after some advice. I'm wanting to lose about 3 stone in weight. I'm type 1 asthmatic and have ME (not a lot going for me really) I'd love to try running but don't want to end up putting more weight on trying to stop myself going low. Do you have any advice

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to age related muscular degeneration my doctors description I can't exercise a great deal. I swim but that's about all. I found the LCHF diet helps a lot in losing weight. I've lost over a stone in a couple of months.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
will have to look at this diet then as need get rid of the stone i have put on since being on Insulin grr

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@michelle1982 how about yoga? Even if it is just a starting point - my heart misbehaves, and my joints are knackered, so running straight away was not going to happen. I'm not especially flexible, but it is something I can do at home, by myself, and it is easy for me to control the environment.

If you're keen to try running, I've heard good things about the Couch to 5k programme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...sk5wB2/the-couch-to-5k-challenge-makeyourmove
Could be a good way to ease yourself into it and find what your tolerances are regarding needing to eat etc to stop lows.

As a type 1, I would be slightly wary of going full LCHF as some members here do - it will introduce the need to bolus for protein and fat, and will definitely change your insulin requirements, so perhaps one to discuss with your DSN.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm after some advice. I'm wanting to lose about 3 stone in weight. I'm type 1 asthmatic and have ME (not a lot going for me really) I'd love to try running but don't want to end up putting more weight on trying to stop myself going low. Do you have any advice

What type of insulin regime are you on @michelle1982 ?

Reactions: Freema

michelle1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@michelle1982 how about yoga? Even if it is just a starting point - my heart misbehaves, and my joints are knackered, so running straight away was not going to happen. I'm not especially flexible, but it is something I can do at home, by myself, and it is easy for me to control the environment.

If you're keen to try running, I've heard good things about the Couch to 5k programme
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...sk5wB2/the-couch-to-5k-challenge-makeyourmove
Could be a good way to ease yourself into it and find what your tolerances are regarding needing to eat etc to stop lows.

As a type 1, I would be slightly wary of going full LCHF as some members here do - it will introduce the need to bolus for protein and fat, and will definitely change your insulin requirements, so perhaps one to discuss with your DSN.
I've done yoga in the past and find it very good for relaxing especially the quiet bit at the end. Just really fancy running lots of friends do it and say they love it. Just need to feel healthier though I think overall

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm on Lantau which I take in the morning and humalog for meals. Really need to get on a pump really. Had one given to me whilst I was pregnant but need one all the time. Would be better for exercise as well I think.

Absolutely, a pump is ideal for those who partake in regular exercise. Maybe see if you meet the NICE criteria or the ABCD recommendations for pump funding if your UK based:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/is-it-provided-by-the-nhs/

As for exercising now on MDI, have a look at websites like Runsweet and ExCarbs, both were set-up for type 1's who enjoy exercise and sport and has advice on insulin adjustment:

http://www.runsweet.com/

http://www.excarbs.com/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done yoga in the past and find it very good for relaxing especially the quiet bit at the end. Just really fancy running lots of friends do it and say they love it. Just need to feel healthier though I think overall

Perhaps walking would be a good start? Regular brisk walking really helps insulin sensitivity, I've found.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @michelle1982 . If you're able to walk then as @azure as said walking is a great place to start.
You say you'd like to try running, well let's be logical here. Walking is only slow running and running is only fast walking.
Start with the walking, build up the duration and take it from there.
Good luck.

Reactions: Freema and azure