Washing hands and testing

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, it just goes to show that reading these forums has taught me so much.

I took my lixisenatide injection at 6;30 pm, ate dinner at 7pm - smoked mackerel & salad - tested at 9:30pm - BS 19.1 and I couldn't see how it could be that high, but I remembered people saying that if that happens, wash your hand and retest.

Did that - BS 6.7 - goodness only knows what I had on my hands. I can only think it was dog flea treatment, as I put it on both my dogs yesterday, but I'd been stroking them both this evening.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Well, it just goes to show that reading these forums has taught me so much.

I took my lixisenatide injection at 6;30 pm, ate dinner at 7pm - smoked mackerel & salad - tested at 9:30pm - BS 19.1 and I couldn't see how it could be that high, but I remembered people saying that if that happens, wash your hand and retest.

Did that - BS 6.7 - goodness only knows what I had on my hands. I can only think it was dog flea treatment, as I put it on both my dogs yesterday, but I'd been stroking them both this evening.
It is very easy for contaminents to interfere with glucose readings. Some alcohol swabs can give false readings. Always ensure the donor site is clean and dry before testing.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I once had a high reading after washing up and just drying my hands ,I washed my hands and tested again and got a normal reading I assume that the washing up water contained enough food to mess up the reading
CAROL

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is also important to rinse the hands well - even soap can affect readings.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Tweenie DN did a demo of testing with much rinsing of hands after a soapy wash. She pointed out quite loudly that soap has sugar in it. I didn't know that until then.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Tweenie DN did a demo of testing with much rinsing of hands after a soapy wash. She pointed out quite loudly that soap has sugar in it. I didn't know that until then.

I have always been told that. So when I saw this thread I went surfing for commercial toilet soap ingredients. There are some pretty awful things in soap that really should never be anywhere near our hands and face, but I couldn't find any reference to sugar unless you count glycerine. Many years ago, my uncle worked for Procter and Gamble. (makers of all Fairy products and others). I clearly remember him saying that soap is more dirty than dirt, and the soap factories are awful places.