Wasting time listening to 'Halki diabetes cure'

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I clicked on something claiming there was a connection between diabetes and eggs, and got a man who gave his name as Eric Whitfield and he went on, and on and on - and then on a bit more - claiming that diabetes is caused by pollution - particulates called PM 2.5

After going on and on and on a bit more, he revealed that he'd got a secret recipe for a dressing to put on food and it cured insulin resistance.

After going on and on and on again he finally said that he'd sell me the book with the instructions in.

Oh well - at least I got some knitting done, so the time wasn't wasted.

But he do go on.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
they really do go on and on.... one wonders why they think it helps...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is always some mug who is maybe desperate or gullible enough to buy the book and that is the aim to make money.

Blind them with pseudo science

Reactions: briped
M

Member496333

There is always some mug who is maybe desperate or gullible enough to buy the book and that is the aim to make money.

Blind them with pseudo science

And fuelled by actual real advice from governments that makes patients sicker, it’s also not surprising that there are millions of vulnerable diabetics out there susceptible to this kind of thing :(

Reactions: Tophat1900

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A common sales ploy. You either pay up to shut them up, or give up listening. So well done you for not falling for it.
What are you knitting?
A batwing sleeved jacket, just plain, so far. I have a couple of large cones of Shetland wool in a soft grey green colour. Love the smell of the oily wool. The garment is made in two halves starting at the cuffs, and is joined down the centre back.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh no, I like my salad plain, guess I’m not getting cured....

@Resurgam I knitted a similar cape/Cardi by the sound of it, blue for me, green for daughter. Hers turned out nicer!

Reactions: WuTwo

DerekCS

I clicked on something claiming there was a connection between diabetes and eggs, and got a man who gave his name as Eric Whitfield and he went on, and on and on - and then on a bit more - claiming that diabetes is caused by pollution - particulates called PM 2.5

After going on and on and on a bit more, he revealed that he'd got a secret recipe for a dressing to put on food and it cured insulin resistance.

After going on and on and on again he finally said that he'd sell me the book with the instructions in.

Oh well - at least I got some knitting done, so the time wasn't wasted.

But he do go on.[

DerekCS

Hi ive just joined although I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I was put on Metformin etc.
I had no problems eating and drinking what I wanted and was told by doc after lots of blood tests that I should just take medication and carry on doing what I was doing. Which included eating foods and drinks with sugar .
About a month ago i just didn’t feel right , nothing specific , or painful, just not myself, so I went to doc and asked to have blood pressure and blood test (finger prick only not phials) BP was a bit high but blood was 11.8.
He said I needed to loose weight or else I’d be on insulin in 3 months. Shock horror !!
I’ve lost about 5kg in last 2 weeks and started walking every other day about 3-4 k at a time.
I go back to docs in a couple of weeks and hope my readings have improved.
Meanwhile I’ve read and watch numerous bits and pieces on iPad , latest was this Halki guy, OMG he does go on, but I did investigate a few things he said re PM2.5 (air bourne particles 2.5 in diameter Abundant in middle and Far East) the ingredients (all good) and Halki itself (haha) although he did say it was an island off coast of Greece the video showed a palm coved beach ..... not in the Greek islands and not Halki which is close to Rhodes and the Turkish mainland. Altogether a load of RUBISH.
My other main annoyance is the amount of contradiction about what is good and bad food for diabetics, I know we are all individuals and some things work for some and not others but it’s a bit too much when articles say for example eggs are ok and others say they are not ????

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ive just joined although I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I was put on Metformin etc.
My other main annoyance is the amount of contradiction about what is good and bad food for diabetics, I know we are all individuals and some things work for some and not others but it’s a bit too much when articles say for example eggs are ok and others say they are not ????
The problem is that a lot of the advice is from people who are firmly convinced that they know what we ought to eat - whilst never having to test their blood glucose levels after eating what they think is good.
The advice about not eating eggs is from the 'we are what we eat' camp - and they have only parroted what is 'obviously true' without testing or checking on the source.
Cholesterol doesn't enter your bloodstream from your gut in any meaningful amounts - someone checked - it isn't the same cholesterol as you swallowed, your liver makes cholesterol because it is an essential substance. To equate lower cholesterol levels with fewer circulatory problems is rather like wishing to reduce RTAs by stopping ambulances using the roads - after all - whenever there is a bad accident there is an ambulance, so no ambulance no crash - obviously.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
The dressing must come from the 'secret', untouched-by-civilization village in Sri Lanka where no-one has diabetes so their diet MUST contain something that prevents the illness. The speaker is the only person who has access to a doctor in Sri Lanka that has provided all the information for a book, a CD and recipes that 'cured' his wife. Or was it the friend of a friend of his wife.;) Of course here in North America snake oil has always been popular.:)

Reactions: hankjam

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The dressing must come from the 'secret', untouched-by-civilization village in Sri Lanka where no-one has diabetes so their diet MUST contain something that prevents the illness. The speaker is the only person who has access to a doctor in Sri Lanka that has provided all the information for a book, a CD and recipes that 'cured' his wife. Or was it the friend of a friend of his wife.;) Of course here in North America snake oil has always been popular.:)
Clearly not from the north of the island then, following the murderous conclusion to the civil war....

Emmyenky9

Hi I've just listened to that video Halki remedy diabetes sounded to good to be true nearly bought it to much hassle. I have my own diet you might like to try i have cut out cakes, crisps, sweets, salt, sugar, spices, oranges was told they have high natural sugar content. I have one piece of bread cut in half for a sandwich lean meat cut off the fat have smaller meals don't pile up your plate to high I have now gone onto organic food. It's been hard to follow itsi working for me I've lost weight . Down to ,14st from 28. Eat what you like in smaller portions may not work for everyone.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Hi I've just listened to that video Halki remedy diabetes sounded to good to be true nearly bought it to much hassle. I have my own diet you might like to try i have cut out cakes, crisps, sweets, salt, sugar, spices, oranges was told they have high natural sugar content. I have one piece of bread cut in half for a sandwich lean meat cut off the fat have smaller meals don't pile up your plate to high I have now gone onto organic food. It's been hard to follow itsi working for me I've lost weight . Down to ,14st from 28. Eat what you like in smaller portions may not work for everyone.
You may not want to cut too much fat as this provides the energy without the glucose from carbs. Watch out for some veggies such as beans as they are also high in carbs. I find one slice of whole wheat or multi-grain bread a day is just about the maximum.

Reactions: Evie-D

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I got a link lasys week telling me that a Chinese flower and Hawthorn plant could cure me. Well you would think the NHS would have let me know, swines;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to make the jacket smaller as I seem to have shrunk quite a bit doing the low carb eating - the way I make the garment is in two halves, starting at the cuffs and joining centre back, and so by separating the two halves I could take rows out of the backs, join up again and then put on a new collar. The fronts overlap a bit more than before, but the side seams are not half way to my elbows now.
I was rather pleased to find that Asda have a really low carb bread - under 8 percent carbs - ordinary breads are so much higher. It is expensive, but as it is so low carb it seems worth it.