Water infections and my diabetes

MadameHope

Dislikes
MY FRICKING DIABETES, rudeness, obnoxiousness and just being a plain old douche !
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been on this forum hope everyone's good :)

well what I wanted to know or understand if this is only happening to me ... it's kinda embarrassing but I'm sick of this happening.

I recently.... you know ... and few days later I'm starting to develop a water infection.

Now I just wanted to know ladies or guys does this also happen to you after... you know

Cause i'm not sure if the water infections are linked to that or just my diabetes cause my blood sugars are stable and i'm taking my regular injections.

if any one can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate this

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're taking about what I think you're talking about, then I have a solution!

A friend suffered from this a few times. Her GP said that you need to go for a wee pretty much straight after. I don't know why or what it does.... But it worked and she hasn't had an infection in 4 years now!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're taking about what I think you're talking about, then I have a solution!

A friend suffered from this a few times. Her GP said that you need to go for a wee pretty much straight after. I don't know why or what it does.... But it worked and she hasn't had an infection in 4 years now!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi

I've copied this from a post I answered a while ago

I get these a lot. I've tried everything and for a while my GP let me keep antibiotics on standby.

I'm suspicious of cranberry as its an acid (bladder irritant) and fruit based. It made no difference to me when I took it. I avoid orange juice too.

You can buy potassium citrate over the counter and take some the moment you feel one coming on. That will often help me keep it at way.

And hygiene....use the loo before and after sex. Not the most romantic thing to do. There is a school of thought that pouring cool boiled water from a bottle 'afterwards' flushes the germs away.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 48610.html

Angela Kilmartin wrote a book about it.

If you find a miracle cure let me know too.

Cara

LittleWolf

I used to have extremely severe UTI symptoms every time I did the do which was hardly ever as I'm in a long distance relationship. Crippling sharp bladder pains and ridiculous burning.

Now I always pee before AND after, which is fine because I am peeing increasingly frequently lately. I still have bladder pain especially during the deed, blood, protein and white blood cells in pretty much all dipstick tests but symptoms are not so acute as when I didn't pee before AND after.

I also hear if you do it more frequently you become more used to the bacteria introduced by him to your urethra. If you guys aren't hundreds of miles apart you could try doing it more whilst you experiment with prevention/treatment. It wouldn't hurt for him to make sure everything is fresh down there too x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kelly s

I take it were talking about se here lol. Personally i always thought its best to go wee after sex. I also get urine infections alot but its normally after weve been at it roughly lol :)

tvmovienut

I rarely have problems with this and I give credit to my PCP. My Mother was told to drink cranberry juice so of course that's what I did until the last time I was sitting in the doctor's office with "the problem". She said "NO" to cranberry juice and "YES" to APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. So everyday I add a little ACV to my water and haven't had to go back with "that problem". :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The microbes that cause bladder infections live on the outside of the body and sex does help them to get inside, usually in women rather than men, although that can happen too. Since that area tends to have more sugar in it in diabetics than in non diabetics. it's more of a risk. Bacteria LOVE sugar. Going for a wee is standard advice. It washes them out of the urethra.
I'd add to that. Drink a little unsweetend cranberry juice or take cranberry tablets. They help prevent the bacteria from getting a grip on the surface. Then get your blood glucose down as near normal [5] as you can and change your toilet hygiene method. Use flushable baby wipes as well as tissue.
You don't need to be shy about it. Most of us here are adults and the condition is common. Nearly all women have it sometime.
I can also say that if you have pain on passing urine, take a little bicarbonate of soda. It tastes FOUL, but reduces the acidity of the urine. Aspirin, being acidic makes the burning worse. And drink LOADS of water.
Hana

MadameHope

Dislikes
MY FRICKING DIABETES, rudeness, obnoxiousness and just being a plain old douche !
hey guys,

thanks for all the advice.

Went to my local walk in centre and they gave me a few days course of antibiotics and it aint cleared it up. gotta call my gp up asap and talk to them about it.

I'm gonna take note of all the advice for the future next time I .... you know haha

Laura1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im relieved to hear that im not alone with this probkem. I get it constantly and the dr says " it is very common when you are sexually active" ....erm thanks doc ...great help lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mel24

I went through a really bad period if three years of constant uti after the deed. I find going to the toilet after sex and getting your man to wash his thing before the deed also helps. Not the best thing for the mood setting but I rather that than have a uti again