Reactions: Freema

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
based on "under 8.5 mmol/L 2 hours after a meal" I would take that as an option every day

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Look at the area under the curve that is above 6.5 (for example), this is as much issue as the reading at 2hr. Given how high the reading was at 1hr your body seems to find the watermelon hard to cope with but does get it under control later.

Personally I don't like watermelon enough to justify the quick acting sugar in it, but someone else may like it a lot more the me.

B

badcat

Id take it on a day by day basis - ok if my initial BS reading was under 5 and to be avoided if it was any higher than that

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it would be a no as personally I don't like to see anything above 7.5 at 1 hour - how big was your portion of watermelon? Could you reduce it a bit? Of course it's totally up to you - your 2 hour number isn't too bad so if your happy with those numbers I say yes you can - we are individuals with our own targets - have you tried berries- they are much lower in carbs than most other fruits

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @licklemoose ..
Depends on how Low Carb you are going .. there are 8g of carbs in 100g watermelon and 9g in a 1cup measure of full fat Greek yoghurt. For me, that would be too high because I am working on 20g up to max 30g carbs per day.
For your info, it's very easy to check the carbs in any food .. just go to Google and type in "carbs xxxxxx" (where xxxxxx is the food you want to check - eg: watermelon). You will get loads of links to full info on carbs, calories, protein, nutrition values etc
Hope this helps

Reactions: charliebarker

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watermelon is technically a berry - but not precisely a melon, but a pepo.
The joys of a B.Sc education.
I eat it as it is below my 10 percent carb limit, but often find that some of it goes off before it can be used.

Reactions: MrGrumpyD

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never did like watermelon much! I certainly won't be sacrificing carbs for a slice now, I'll stick to my raspberries and strawberries!

Reactions: zand and MrGrumpyD

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Never did like watermelon much! I certainly won't be sacrificing carbs for a slice now, I'll stick to my raspberries and strawberries!
@Rachox
Have you tried Sainsburys frozen Black Forest Fruits? There are some grapes in this but I separate those for my lad's smoothy mix. It's a great change from the strawberry and blueberry mix I have been getting.
At roughly 9g per 100g of carbs it is a guilt free choice. I am a recent convert to greek yoghurt, I always disliked the small pots of generic yoghurt with flavourings instead of real fruit.

Reactions: DrQ and ringi

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox
Have you tried Sainsburys frozen Black Forest Fruits? There are some grapes in this but I separate those for my lad's smoothy mix. It's a great change from the strawberry and blueberry mix I have been getting.
At roughly 9g per 100g of carbs it is a guilt free choice. I am a recent convert to greek yoghurt, I always disliked the small pots of generic yoghurt with flavourings instead of real fruit.
Oh I never thought about frozen fruit. I'm a Tesco shopper, I've just checked their website and they have loads of combinations of berries :) That'll be useful to keep as a standby in case the fresh ones run out. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Reactions: DrQ
D

Deleted member 308541

Watermelon is technically a berry - but not precisely a melon, but a pepo.
There are some big water melon farms near we live and you need to see the size of some of the berries.

We got two melons for around $5.00, and it was a bit of a struggle to carry both of them.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I never thought about frozen fruit. I'm a Tesco shopper, I've just checked their website and they have loads of combinations of berries :) That'll be useful to keep as a standby in case the fresh ones run out. Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Try some frozen berries/forest fruits with yoghurt. The fruit is obviously crunchy, but it works for me as an ice-cream alternative. I love it !
Geoff

Reactions: Rachox

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found that frozen raspberries turn to mush when defrosted, which was deeply disappointing as I only like to eat a few per day and the fresh ones go bad too quickly. (Is it bad that I dip them in almond butter as a sweet treat! )

Reactions: DrQ

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found that frozen raspberries turn to mush when defrosted, which was deeply disappointing as I only like to eat a few per day and the fresh ones go bad too quickly. (Is it bad that I dip them in almond butter as a sweet treat! )
I bought a bag of mixed frozen berries a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't managed to run out of fresh ones yet to try them! I did figure they might be a bit 'mushy' once thawed, but was envisaging putting them with yoghurts so guess it wouldn't matter so much.