We know spikes are bad, but……

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Whilst admitting that this us not a good scenario, can anyone give me real evidence, not just theories, or blocks of impenetrable verbiage as to what damage I might have caused in that time.

Sounds like a job for Mr Google. The University of Utah have done some research into people who have peripheral neuropathy and are not diabetic. http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that elevated insulin is as harm form as elevated BG, but until insulin levels are as easy to measure as BG we will not know. But we do know that keeping BG low results in keeping insulin low.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Again you may not find this relavent but here it is any way.

Beta Cell Dysfunction Begins at 2-hr OGTT Test Readings Over 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L)

When a team of Italian researchers led by A Gastardelli started examining beta cell response to glucose in people with normal blood sugars, they discovered that a small amount of beta cell dysfunction began to be detectable in people whose blood sugar rose only slightly over 100 mg/dl on a 2-hour glucose tolerance test. The beta cells are the cells in the pancreas that produce the insulin your body uses to control your blood sugar.
Analyzing their data further, they found that with every small increase in the 2-hour glucose tolerance test result, there was a corresponding increase in how much beta cell failure was detectable.

Conclusion/

When the plasma insulin response to oral glucose is related to the glycaemic stimulus and severity of insulin resistance, there is a progressive decline in beta-cell function that begins in “normal” glucose tolerant individuals.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-003-1263-9?LI=true

This study does not tell us if the high BG is killing the beta cells, or is due to the beta cells dieing.

B

badcat

You missing the point, the after meal testing it to learn what we can eat, we can't change the before meal BG by changing a single meal, but we can change the after meal increase. Hence the continuous improvement method is driven from what we can change in the short term, hence leading to long term improvement. Seeing the result of actions in 2hr is a very good method of self-motivation.
No but we can say food x that produces a 3 mmol rise is fine when my pre meal BS is under 5. We can also say food y that produces a 2mmol rise is not ok if my pre meal BS is over 6.5

B

badcat

I'm sure Jenny Ruhl, the author of blood sugar 101 would have some evidence. The majority of us use the ' not over 2 mmol after meals' rule.

Of you aren't familiar with blood sugar 101 it's an outstanding source for knowledge and understanding levels.
I have no particular issues with Jenny Ruhl or the advice she gives but I do have concerns when one non medical persons helpful guidelines get given the status of fact. Or "what the majority of people do'. I see the rise in BS as being indicative of what I can eat best and when

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am away from home at lunchtime I tend to eat rather too many carbs. Don't ask why here, just accept it for now please. Maybe another thread will talk about that. Anyway. Pre lunch my BG was 5.6. Quite happy with that. At that time I take 40mg of Glick. At one hour in my BG has spiked to 13.9. However following 45 mins of brisk exercise my 2 hour BG is 5.4.

Whilst admitting that this us not a good scenario, can anyone give me real evidence, not just theories, or blocks of impenetrable verbiage as to what damage I might have caused in that time.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
The truth is no one can tell you that because science has not come up with any definite answer about it yet.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not true, pure fat will not result in any increase, but it is true that worse someone's BG is the lower the carbs needs to be. This is however what is needed to get the BG under control.......
Yes but how often do we eat pure fat