Weak legs and balance problems

Laura1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I was wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing the same complications that I am. My sugars have been very high for some time now as I suffer with Diabulimia. For the last several months I have foung that I am unable to climb a flight of stairs. The only wsy I can do it is to pull myself up using the banister or go up the stairs on all fours. Its as if I have no strength in my legs. I slso find that I am unable to wear heels anymore and can only walk short distances before I need to take a rest...not because im tired but because my legs feel like they're going to give way. They always feel as if ive walked fifty miles already when I've just started and dont improve with more walking. The other thing that is affecting me is my balance. I didnt even know this could be affected...my dsn confirmed my balance has been affected by nerve damage. It feels like I'm drunk when I'm stood up or walking...not as in having a fuzzy head but in the respect that i have to really concentrate on standing and walking my feet and legs wont always do what I want them too. I know this is all down to my Diabulimia which I am trying to get help with.iam only 37 but honestly feel like a 90 year old. I was wandering if anybody else suffers with these complications as id love to hear from you.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Laura

I don't have the balance problem, but I have 'intermittent claudication' cause by the narrowing of arteries supplying the legs. I can just about do 3 flights of stairs, or walk 300-400 meters before needing to stop and wait for legs to 'fill up' before I can continue. It would be worth talking to your Doctor about it and he might refer you to a vascular consultant to get it checked out. They scanned my aorta and main leg arteries with ultrasound for a diagnosis.

desidiabulum

Hi. Sorry you're having a rough time. Balance problems can also be caused by B12 deficiency (which will also exacerbate nerve damage) -- I read of a couple of cases that sounded a bit like yours. It might be worth double-checking that they have been testing this, as it often gets missed, yet can easily be treated. Good luck!

Adele99

There's a number of possibilities with these symptoms , most but not all of them related to diabetes, so best to ask to have them checked out.

Postural hypotension (auto nerve damage) can cause dizziness due to blood pressure not responding quickly enough when you first stand up from sitting etc. Trick is to take your time when first standing.

Peripheral neuropathy can cause difficulty in knowing where to place your feet and also cause leg weakness. Whether it could cause symptoms as severe as you describe not sure.

Spinal stenosis from any back or disc injury can cause leg weakenss when walking short distances.

Electroylyte/salt imbalance from persistent high blood sugars, poor blood sugar control. can cause severe muscle weakness and dizziness. As can anemia which can develop over time in diabetics as anemia of chronic disease. And of course having severe blood sugar swings can do much the same.

And of course intermittent claudication as previously mentioned.

If you're not eating properly and not controlling your diabetes the consequences will be very severe at a young age. Hopefully at your age it will be something they can fix.

Laura1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou for all your responses. I really appreciate that you have taken the time to post them. I know deep down that all my issues are diabetes related as I have had poor control for years now. I also know that the main treatment I need iz to correct my sugar levels before considering anything else. However when I have looked into intermittent claudication it does sound very famoliar although my dsn did not mention this to me when I seen him several weeks ago. I willask when I see him 2mro and hopefully I can move forward. Thabks again for all your support xx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for all your responses. I really appreciate that you have taken the time to post them. I know deep down that all my issues are diabetes related as I have had poor control for years now. I also know that the main treatment I need iz to correct my sugar levels before considering anything else. However when I have looked into intermittent claudication it does sound very famoliar although my dsn did not mention this to me when I seen him several weeks ago. I willask when I see him 2mro and hopefully I can move forward. Thabks again for all your support xx

hi.. I have the same problem now. How r u doing?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi.. I have the same problem now. How r u doing?

Unfortunately Laura hasn't been seen on the forum since December 2013, why not introduce yourself in the Greetings and Introduction section of the forum.