Weak pulse in feet

Fiona I

Quick question.
I had my diabetic yesterday and the nurse said I had a weak pulse in feet.
Then nothing else!!!
When I queried she just said oh its common!!!!
Is this a cause for concern?
Is there anything I can do to increase it?

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Fiona I,
for the last three years, at my regular diabetic checks I also have been experiencing a similar problem with a weak pulse in both feet (particularly my left foot). Like you the nurse dosen't seen overly concerned over this, even despite my telling her of the coldness that I also experience in both my feet, particularly so when sitting for some time and not moving.

The only advice I was given was to carefully examine my feet on a daily basis, as loss of blood flow could contribute to a loss of nerve sensitivity. If there is any simple answer to this problem I would also like to know what it is.

On a slightly different issue, several years ago I suffered with 'pins and needles' in both feet to the extent that it would keep me awake during most of the night. Having waited over a year for the NHS to investigate this problem, I decided in desperation to try 'Evening Primrose Oil with Vitamin E' as a possible solution. I can report that in my case I found that after using this herbal remedy for a week or two the 'pins and needles' vanished and have never returned since then.

Fiona I

Hi Lazybones,
I have been reading on the internet is seems that ibuprofen gel helps as do simple rotating foot exercises.
I also suffer with terrible cramps in my toes and calves so I wondered if the evening primrose may help with this :?: :?:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained x :D

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Are you drinking enough fluids Fiona, that can cause cramps, you need to drink more water.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fiona I said:
Quick question.
Then nothing else!!!

Perhaps you should book an appointment with your gp and ask for their advice on this matter, exercising undoubtedly increases blood flow to the feet and they say your feet act as a second heart when walking, jogging or running.

C

catherinecherub

Fiona I said:
Quick question.
Then nothing else!!!

Rather a lax attitude by your Nurse. She should have referred you to your G.P. as a weak pulse in your feet could be a precursor to Peripheral Artery Disease. Your circulation is lower than it should be.

Please see your G.P.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told I had a weak pulse in my right foot by the podiatrist over seven years ago, to date I've had no worsening of it. The last check I had done in may this year showed all was ok apart from the one weak pulse no claudication or neuropathy.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Fiona 1. :)

You probably are wearing good quality shoes,however I just thought I would throw in a few good tips regarding your feet.

Wear proper footwear to protect your feet from all kinds of problems, never tight shoes or socks etc;
Get your feet properly measured.
Your GP should arrange for you to see a "Chiropodists or Podiatrists" through the NHS in the view to check your feet and give the best advice to take care of your feet.

Your feet have a lot to do, so make sure you look after them,they deserve the best.

best of luck. :)