weakness in hands

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
for the last few months I have noticed I am dropping things more often, It's starting to be quite annoying now, breaking things at work, dropping glass on the floor at home, even just a piece of paper at times, I can feel these things but it's like I have no control, I don't know if I'm just being clumsy or something else, I have been type 1 insulin dependant diabetic for 35 years, I have not had many problems (touch wood) until now, I have an appointment with my GP next week, I'm not sure weather I should say anything or not, I don't want to sound like I'm making a fuss over nothing but I am 49 now and am reaching the menopause, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, If anyone has had the same problems please let me know what you done about it I would be very grateful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Almost certainly you should mention it to your Dr, its obviously causing you great concern and you want to find out why you are losing the grip in your hands. Hope the appointment goes well and do let us know how it goes.

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost certainly you should mention it to your Dr, its obviously causing you great concern and you want to find out why you are losing the grip in your hands. Hope the appointment goes well and do let us know how it goes.
Thank you and I will certainly let you all know what happens, watch this space.

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely mention it to the doctor as I had that for a while. I am 29 and been type 1 for 25yrs.

The 1st gp didnt seem that interested then the 2nd (a week later) told me it could be neuropathy (it is neuropathy & I have glove & sock syndrome)

Anything like that and you should always ask about it.

Better safe than sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I would mention it for sure, have you ever had carpel tunnel syndrom?

I did in my early 20,s and earlier this year I noticed my muscle at the base of my thumb on the right hand was alot smaller and not feeling firm when my thumb was toucing my little finger and was painful a little, I had nerve tests done and I have severe nerve damage in both hands and feet. So get it checked to rule anything out

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would mention it for sure, have you ever had carpel tunnel syndrom?

I did in my early 20,s and earlier this year I noticed my muscle at the base of my thumb on the right hand was alot smaller and not feeling firm when my thumb was toucing my little finger and was painful a little, I had nerve tests done and I have severe nerve damage in both hands and feet. So get it checked to rule anything out

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a joint replacement operation last year, this was the knuckle of middle finger and prior to that carpal tunnel was mentioned, however, I am getting a lot of pins and needles in that same hand, so am wondering if it could be neuropathy, so will definitely mention this to GP. Thank you I hope you are recovering now.

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely mention it to the doctor as I had that for a while. I am 29 and been type 1 for 25yrs.

The 1st gp didnt seem that interested then the 2nd (a week later) told me it could be neuropathy (it is neuropathy & I have glove & sock syndrome)

Anything like that and you should always ask about it.

Better safe than sorry
Could you tell me what glove and sock syndrome is, excuse my ignorance but I have never heard of it before, but I will tell the GP now and get it sorted thank you.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@trixie66 I cant explain it properly but it is a form of neuropathy that mainly affects the hands & feet (according to my DSN)

If you google it there is loads about it.

Hope you manage to get it seen to soon.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
I have glove and sock syndrome, its the best way to describe the feeling you get in the early stages of peripheral neuropathy.

It is so named because it feels like you are wearing gloves and socks, even when you aren't.

It was this symptom that caused me to go see my GP, probably long after i should have done, because by the time i did I had got to the stage where I couldn't find the edges of my shirt buttons to fasten them.

Damage occurs if your FBG goes above about 7.8, so I try very hard to keep my levels below this.

Taking Alpha Lipoic acid, vitamin B1 and B12 is helping me with this problem, but it is a long slow job. Been diagnosed type 2 for almost 18 months now (I'm 56) and although I do have feeling and control back in my hands, my feet are responding very slowly.

I would definitely mention it - just out of interest, what do you control your FBG levels to?

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi well its been diagnosed today that I have Diabetic Neuropathy and its down my left side but most surprising my left foot the GP saw that it was pale in colour, I had no idea I was more concerned about my hands, also have started the menopause, so come let me have it because I'm not going to let it all get to me
My last FBG was 7.1 so quite pleased with that, considering it has always been a bit higher than that as I was on the farm working and didn't want any hypos while I was in the fields, the Doctors accepted that.
Thank you for all your messages I have googled so much this week about all the problems and hope you are all well and coping with all thats going on with you all.

Reactions: 8 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi well its been diagnosed today that I have Diabetic Neuropathy and its down my left side but most surprising my left foot the GP saw that it was pale in colour, I had no idea I was more concerned about my hands, also have started the menopause, so come let me have it because I'm not going to let it all get to me
My last FBG was 7.1 so quite pleased with that, considering it has always been a bit higher than that as I was on the farm working and didn't want any hypos while I was in the fields, the Doctors accepted that.
Thank you for all your messages I have googled so much this week about all the problems and hope you are all well and coping with all thats going on with you all.

Hi Trixie

Ok, so you're in the same boat as me.

Now, I see you are T1 on insulin, while I am T2 on Metformin and diet control.

But can I ask what you mean when you say your last FBG was 7.1?

I self test twice a day - against the advice of HCPs, and make sure I know what impact what I eat has on my levels.

I understand T1s need to run a different regime, and inject insulin to control their levels no matter what they eat, but I don't know what your routine is.

As I said, I test twice a day every day, and more if i think I am trying something different. I graph the results and watch for a rising trend.

I find a 16 day rolling average trend is good for picking up changes, and I am currently running with this figure around 5.3.

My last HbA1c was 34, or 5.3 in numbers I understand, while i expected it to be around 5.6, so I think I am in control and on the right side, as it were.

Do you have target figures to keep between? and, do you graph the reults you get?

I ask because it is my understanding that it is the spikes above 7.8 that do the damage, while I understand a more immediate threat to T1s is a low level, and I wonder if perhaps you would benefit from controlling your limits a little more tightly.

trixie66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Trixie

Ok, so you're in the same boat as me.

Now, I see you are T1 on insulin, while I am T2 on Metformin and diet control.

But can I ask what you mean when you say your last FBG was 7.1?

I self test twice a day - against the advice of HCPs, and make sure I know what impact what I eat has on my levels.

I understand T1s need to run a different regime, and inject insulin to control their levels no matter what they eat, but I don't know what your routine is.

As I said, I test twice a day every day, and more if i think I am trying something different. I graph the results and watch for a rising trend.

I find a 16 day rolling average trend is good for picking up changes, and I am currently running with this figure around 5.3.

My last HbA1c was 34, or 5.3 in numbers I understand, while i expected it to be around 5.6, so I think I am in control and on the right side, as it were.

Do you have target figures to keep between? and, do you graph the reults you get?

I ask because it is my understanding that it is the spikes above 7.8 that do the damage, while I understand a more immediate threat to T1s is a low level, and I wonder if perhaps you would benefit from controlling your limits a little more tightly.
Hi Tim
I test my blood sugars at least 4 times a day as I am hypo unaware so I need to keep my blood sugars a bit higher as I drive a lot, it can be scary, also my blood sugars drop rapidly when going low I am trying to rectify this but its very difficult in keeping to a tight regine, I write the the results down in the dafne book i was given, also download on pc. FBG Blood glucose I pressed the f button by mistake sorry, I am still learning a lot from the dafne course as I'm what i call old school and when I was diagnosed everything was so different now my insulin is more flexible I can adjust to whatever results are to how much insulin I take at that given time, I am more in control now than ever, I am really pleased with my results, at the moment I do prefer them a bit higher.

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@ tim55
said he takes alpha lipolic acid VitaminB1and B12. Did your GP prescribe them for
you. Is it working.?I think I too have peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet.

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi there

No. Such things are not available on prescription in the UK, although they would be in Germany - as I understand it.

I source them on line and pay for them myself.

And trust me, I am a good Yorkshireman, and I would not pay for something I didn't think was helping.

But just because I think it helps me does not mean it will help anyone else.

This condition is really, I think, not understood at all - NHS can tell you you have diabetes, and to them, that seems to be good enough.

It isn't for me, so I'll follow up anything I find out there.

Keep fighting it!

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
I would go and see your GP and have some professional advice. Speculating may make you feel anxious. Especially having Type 1 Diabetes. I have had Type 1 for 49 years. I am now 54 years old and went on the menopause a few months before my 50th birthday. I am lucky that I get the occasional flush but nothing I cannot handle. Please seek medical advice I am sure you will feel better.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
for the last few months I have noticed I am dropping things more often, It's starting to be quite annoying now, breaking things at work, dropping glass on the floor at home, even just a piece of paper at times, I can feel these things but it's like I have no control, I don't know if I'm just being clumsy or something else, I have been type 1 insulin dependant diabetic for 35 years, I have not had many problems (touch wood) until now, I have an appointment with my GP next week, I'm not sure weather I should say anything or not, I don't want to sound like I'm making a fuss over nothing but I am 49 now and am reaching the menopause, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, If anyone has had the same problems please let me know what you done about it I would be very grateful.

Definitely tell your GP, but don't let him or her hood wink you into believing it is diabetes related, it could be related to the menopause, many of us get a little "clumsy" about that time of our life.

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal cruelty and rude people
I keep getting a numb feeling in my fingers also sometimes My hands feel like there burning

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi
Hi I too have same, no feeling in some fingers. Hands are painful. Drop things all the time..
They swell up around the knuckles and as I'm disabled they hurt a lot when I'm walking with sticks or trolley.
My sugars are high most of the time.. I'm trying to get them under control.......I'm type 2
Since 2 003.
Best wishes to all.......Maddy.

pudds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had this in my fingers and my legs for some time,and been given a large dose of pregabalin, 50 g of amatriperline and paracetamol, which does ease it.i also have diabetic ulcers in feet,no feeling in my feet and constantly in pain in walking