Web security

A

AnnieC

Just wondered how much personal information about yourself do you put on the web. It amazes me just how much people do put on forums, groups and social networks. I have seen mobile and landline phone numbers, where they live and even home addresses for anyone to see and some practically put their whole life history. We are always being told not to put more personal information than we absolutely have to on the internet as so much can be found out about you from very little infomation I don't do internet banking and anything that asks me to put in my phone numbers or home address I try to steer clear of

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with exercising caution. But by sharing information in a adult way you may be able to help someone else or yourself. For instance, a number of my colleagues have secured excellent jobs through sharing information on LinkedIn. This particular board would be far less useful to all of us if all personal information were to be withheld. If your view in life and give a little and receive a little back then sharing is natural. I do use internet banking and a whole variety of other internet based services that are very valuable.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I would never put my address or phone/email on an open forum, but I will use the personal message system to inform individuals of details if necessary.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't give out personal information either, at least on forums and the like, but for some reason I don't really worry too much about things like that.....

I suppose there is identity theft to think about, but no one could get my money.........:)................if they want to pop round my house to say hello they can.....lol

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The information has always been there prior to the internet. Electoral registers, phone book etc. I have never had any issues sharing info with a little caution. Love internet banking, shopping on-line etc. Makes my life so much easier :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The information has always been there prior to the internet. Electoral registers, phone book etc. I have never had any issues sharing info with a little caution. Love internet banking, shopping on-line etc. Makes my life so much easier :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
They have to have some information about you to find you on there ... like your name and age.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally when it comes to addresses & phone numbers, I don't put em in..
OK so an email address is needed to register on a forum or social network site. But even that don't need to be publicised..
Even passwords to separate accounts are different...
I am an active member of a "Jap import" forum & even blank out the number plate or chassis number on motor pics incase of potential identity cloning..?!
Birthdate, I never enter... I'm not worried at my age regarding celebrating another year... ;)