Week old Diabetic

denbote76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good day, a new member here. I had a test last week, (HB1AC = 5.3%, FBS = 7.23) there my doctor told me that I might be diabetic. Am I really diabetic? I find it difficult to accept since I have been careful with what I eat...

I had an operation for brain aneurysm last 2015, then my sugar level was normal, went on a healthier diet afterwards (not the strictest, but careful).

So this 'diabetic' diagnosis is tough for me.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your HB1AC of 5.3% doesn´t look like you are diabetic, but your fasting blood glucose indicates it as it must be under 7mmol for one to not be diabetic and under 6mmol not to be prediabetic...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes.html

one can have a low normal HbA1c if one takes care not to eat much spiking foods and low carb and still be diabetic, which is the situation I am in at the moment myself..

my HbA1c is in the normal level but if I don´t take care every day my morning numbers and all day numbers will get too high very easily

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The morning fasting test is very unreliable, and therefore rarely used by doctors for a diagnosis without further tests. So much can affect these fasting tests, such as stress, activity, restless night's sleep etc. Just getting up, getting ready, dashing to the surgery for the test, and feeling stressed about it all can raise this level.

The HbA1c test is different as it measures a sort of average of your blood glucose over the previous 2 to 3 months.

There is also another test available, the oral glucose tolerance test, which measures your post meal insulin reaction.

Some experts believe all 3 tests should be performed before a diagnosis is given.

If you are really concerned, go back to your doctor and ask for further tests.

Reactions: Freema

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I really diabetic? I find it difficult to accept since I have been careful with what I eat...

If your "careful" is the recommended Eatwell plate then you may find that it doesn't suit diabetics. Try to think of it as a carbohydrate intolerance . What sort of things do you eat ?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.