Weight, Fasting BG's and Fasting.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This has been on mind recently so I thought I would share and see if it sparks any comment, which I would welcome.

Been just over three years since diagnosed T2. Since then it has been diet and exercise.

I lost a lot of weight and for the last two years have been steady 72 kg.

My FBG have been a steady 5.2 and reading posts on Fasting I thought I would give it a go and see if it affected my FBG. I should note I've stopped testing at other times as I eat the same food over and over again and was finding I was getting the same numbers.

Mid March I started not eating lunch at work three days a week and kept every thing else the same. It didn't appear to have much affect. Then in the first week of April they went way down.... 5.2, 4.7, 4.3, 4.1. The 4.1 was a Thursday and I had not eaten lunch that week at all. When I got home I tested to see where I was and got 3.2.... That night I had some spag for the first time in ages... and went back to 5.2 Friday morning... I then was off work the following week and got a cold, so a 6.0 appeared.... Since then it has been back to normal. I shifted my weight down from 72.0 to 70.5 kg.

upload_2017-4-23_11-38-25.png

This was mostly an experiment on self to see how my FBG would react to some sort of "Fasting" as I've often wondered how much more I have to go to get my FBG down a notch more...

Then there was a post recently questioning how useful FBG's are, which really threw me as I now use it as my sole indicator of how I am doing.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...rst-thing-in-the-morning.119264/#post-1436478

I never been as low as 3.2. I didn't feel any different but it is something I don't really want to push, so fasting for me needs a little more care and attention.
Thank you for getting this far.
Hj

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-23_11-30-21.png
    upload_2017-4-23_11-30-21.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 134

Hotpepper20000

I usually don't eat breakfast and when I do I don't eat lunch. I find only eating twice a day does keep my FBG in the mid 6.
There are nights when I have joint pain because of other conditions, and if I eat too much my FBG is higher. With fasting I can keep it down in the 6,s.
I have never had fasting lower then 6. But mid afternoons I do usually get down to low 5's and higher 4.
I use FBG as tool too. If it's higher in the morning, I am just a little more strict with carbs that day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fasted yesterday with just tea and coffee with double cream..went to bed at 4.7... FBG this morning was 3.8 equal lowest FBG ever. Felt fine so went for a swim. I rarely have breakfast (almost never) and am trying a one meal every other day experiment to loose the final couple of stone I would like to shed.

Reactions: hankjam

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started skipping breakfast late last year other than a coffee with cream. I don't eat from evening meal one day to lunch the next, and eat in a 6 hour window. I am not trying to lose weight, just to reduce my baseline levels. I test all my pre-meal, FBG and bedtime to keep check on these baseline levels.

Since starting this IF the major difference has been my pre-lunch levels, which have dropped from an average of 5.7 to an average of 5.3. My other baseline levels haven't dropped anywhere near as much, just a little bit.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
wow if i had those readinsg i would eb having a hypo...3.8 is low for me when it gets to 5.0 i can feel my body telling me

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Yes agreed @PatsyB I had my first possible hypo with a reading of 5.2 recently (though I wasn't functioning well enough to ensure the proper finger-prick routine). Since then I've had several lower readings with absolutely no ill effects. I'd love to be averaging in the 4's but I'm trying not to focus on specifics and just watch my average trend, which I'm happy with.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
@hankjam I posted this week regarding slight concerns over renewed weight loss. I received interesting replies which may inspire you if you can dig them out of my profile. Being immobile for most of the last few months possibly wasted my muscles (and my time) and I want to go up from my current 72.3kg. I also ditched Metformin a few weeks ago. I wonder if that is significant?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@hankjam it also took a while for my FBG's to show a discernable change when I starting IF, and then like you they started to drop steadily.

Strangely, in the last few months I get some really weird readings after fasting. Sometimes in the 3's other times high 5's for no apparent reason. I even recorded a 7.1 the other day at about 6PM after fasting for nearly 22 hours :wideyed: (I did drop kick my meter across the room after that one.....I think it still works :bag: )