Weight Gain

Len Newland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone explain how they can produce insulin and Glicazide for diabetes when I have been told by a Doctor that they both put on weight. I have been on insulin for a year and have gone up a stone.

Reactions: Freema and Plockton

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Len Newland
I have copied this from Mark's daily Apple site it's a guide to insulin, blood sugar and type 2

when we eat too many carbohydrates, the pancreas pumps out insulin exactly as the DNA blueprint tell it to (hooray pancreas!), but if the liver and muscle cells are already filled with glycogen, those cells start to become resistant to the call of insulin. The insulin “receptor sites” on the surface of those cells start to decrease in number as well as in efficiency. The term is called “down regulation.” Since the glucose can’t get into the muscle or liver cells, it remains in the bloodstream. Now the pancreas senses there’s still too much toxic glucose in the blood, so it frantically pumps out even more insulin, which causes the insulin receptors on the surface of those cells to become even more resistant, because excess insulin is also toxic! Eventually, the insulin helps the glucose finds it way into your fat cells, where it is stored as fat. Again – because it bears repeating – it’s not fat that gets stored in your fat cells – it’s sugar.
Here's a link to the full article http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/#axzz3zVHeBphx

Reactions: Salvia

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone explain how they can produce insulin and Glicazide for diabetes when I have been told by a Doctor that they both put on weight. I have been on insulin for a year and have gone up a stone.

I guess they can´t produce insuline products that do not have that side effect , as it is in fact insuline that do allow the fatcells to take in glucose and probably also give signal to build fat cells...
the best way to aoid weight gain is to eat very very few carbs and only the lowest needed grams of proteins.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why a lot of us change our diets so we can try to avoid insulin. Have you heard of Dr Jason Fung? His explanation of why insulin is no good for a lot of type 2's makes a lot of sense to many. He has lots of videos online.. also check out the www.dietdoctor.com website. You could try and change your diet to control your condition.. just remember to let your GP know so they can adjust your doses.