Weight Gain

Addy41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,

Since being diagnosed as Type 1 about 2 weeks ago and starting on Insulin (Humalog and Glargine), I have been really hungry and have gained weight rapidly, which is really worrying me. Has anyone else been through the same thing? Any advice? Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all,

Since being diagnosed as Type 1 about 2 weeks ago and starting on Insulin (Humalog and Glargine), I have been really hungry and have gained weight rapidly, which is really worrying me. Has anyone else been through the same thing? Any advice? Thanks

Hi @Addy41 Thats completely normal. Your body is 'rebuilding itself' now after you probably lost weight prior to,diagnosis. Unless you overeat, the weight loss and hunger will ease off and your weight will stabilise :)

It's very early days for you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey! It is completely normal... i was recently diagnosed too and I gained a lot of weight too but don't worry, your sugar levels will stabilise and so will your weight.

Make sure that you don't eat too many carbs as they insulin works as fat storage but don't do as I did and stop it completely cause then you'll have hypos... hope it helped!

Alicia xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Azure, the guy said he gained weight rapidly!

Yep - which is common after Type 1 is treated :) I don't remember my exact figures as it was a long time ago, but I put on about two stone in a couple,of months. That then levelled off over the next few months as my body got back to normal.

Things for Type 2s like yourself may be different.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Azure, the guy said he gained weight rapidly!

Yes, rapid weight gain following type 1 diagnosis is completely normal because as an undiagnosed type 1 rapid weight loss will have been suffered pre diagnosis. They body is rebuilding itself, when before diagnosis it was destroying itself. It will level of as blood sugar settled and isn't anything to worry about.

Addy41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, rapid weight gain following type 1 diagnosis is completely normal because as an undiagnosed type 1 rapid weight loss will have been suffered pre diagnosis. They body is rebuilding itself, when before diagnosis it was destroying itself. It will level of as blood sugar settled and isn't anything to worry about.
That makes sense as I lost about 3 stone. I will give it some time and see how i get on. Thank you.

Addy41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! It is completely normal... i was recently diagnosed too and I gained a lot of weight too but don't worry, your sugar levels will stabilise and so will your weight.

Make sure that you don't eat too many carbs as they insulin works as fat storage but don't do as I did and stop it completely cause then you'll have hypos... hope it helped!

Alicia xxx
Yes that does help. It is just quite worrying to have lost a lot of weight quickly and then to put it back on quickly! Thank you.